Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Bubba

Aug 13, 2004, 1:54 PM

Post #1 of 8 (893 views)

Shortcut

Lake Chapala Update, 08/13/04

Can't Post | Private Reply
The following is excerpted from the COMMUNIDAD Section of Guadalajara's MURAL for August 13, 2004:

As of yesterday, Lake Chapala had reached a level equal to that the lake achieved in all of 2003 and there are still three months, more or less, to go in the 2004 rainy season. The National Water Commission (CNA) informs that the lake has reached 53.68% of its capacity of 7,897,000,000 cubic liters and, as of June, had covered an additional 35,000 hectares of adjacent terrain or an incremental land mass about that covered by the city of Guadalajara. The outlook for the rest of 2004 is good. Regardless of additional rainfall during the 2004 season, the lake will benefit as a result of runoff from upstream reservoirs primarily in Guanajuato state. For example, 149,500 liters of water per second are being released into the Rio Lerma at present from the Ignacio Allende Reservoir alone.

Now for Bubba's personal observation. The lirio comes and goes but, when it is in remission, the visual impact of the greatly recovered lake is most pleasing to the eye.

NEOhio

Aug 13, 2004, 2:30 PM

Post #2 of 8 (876 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Lake Chapala Update, 08/13/04

Can't Post |
Why Bubba, thank you for being the lake status reporter, its been awhile since Pete's last update - well done....this is a terrific turn of events for the lake and let's hope it holds for the future....

Bubba

Aug 14, 2004, 10:51 AM

Post #3 of 8 (805 views)

Shortcut

Yesterday, I was simply quoting MURAL but, quite frankly, I think they are wrong. As one who frequently walks the lake from Western Ajijic to about the La Floresta line, I assure the readers that the lake water level is well above the maximum achieved in 2003 and a good 1/2 mile or more over the water level of all of 2001 and 2002. This is an astonishing discovery. The lake, in the past three weeks, has begun to inundate areas with a number of mature trees which indicates to me that the lake hasn't had a recovery like this in, maybe, 10 or more years.

johanson

Aug 14, 2004, 2:27 PM

Post #4 of 8 (783 views)

Shortcut

I'm glad you made that last post Bubba. Your first post had me quite scared. The last time I checked the lake level was July 19th one day before I left to visit the states. At that time the lake level was only a couple of inches below the previous year's high point.

Common sense would suggest that by now the lake would be somewhat higher than was reported in the paper. When I get back in a month or so, I will be able to return to the Ajijic pier, and check the marks I left with a magic marker on one of the support posts, and know exactly how much higher the water will be than last years high.

Thanks for the update.

RIONSDAD

Aug 28, 2004, 5:39 AM

Post #5 of 8 (627 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Lake Chapala Update, 08/13/04

If you have not yet measured the lake level since 7/19, you best bring some high hip boots, it is well above the past levels.I doubt the majic marker is still there .Infact at the base of the pier wall., the fisherman are having trouble finding a place to stand .The Guad Reporter said just last week that it was at the highest point in 10 years....

Howard Botz

Aug 29, 2004, 12:43 PM

Post #6 of 8 (562 views)

Shortcut

I am going to go way out on a limb here and predict the Lake will be lapping at the wall on the west side of the Ajijic pier before the rains stop. This morning while I was out on the pier there was a man sitting on the end of the pier fishing. He had a nylon line wrapped around a beer bottle. There were 3 or 4 hooks on the line baited with pieces of tortilla. The line was weighted with a small piece of what looked like pipe. How many years has it been since anyone fished off of the pier in Ajijic?
Howard

Howard Botz

Aug 30, 2004, 10:38 AM

Post #7 of 8 (464 views)

Shortcut

Very heavy rains here this morning between 6 AM and 7:30 AM. My neighbor reported 1 5/8 inches on her rain gauge. We live up the hill from El Torito. Revolucion Street going down the hill to the carretera is a major stream.
Howard

Kip

Aug 30, 2004, 11:11 AM

Post #8 of 8 (456 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Howard Botz] Lake Chapala Update, 08/13/04

Does anyone know what the outlying areas are like? (rain water wise) When we were there in July we went out to see a property we were interested in Ixtlahuacan and the road looked like something you could have an exciting raft trip on. The torrents pouring in from the pastures on both sides looked like some pretty heavy duty creeks too. We passed one car that couldn't make it and gave the driver a ride. The amazing thing was two hours later we came back through the same area and all that was left were large mud puddles! (but the car was still stuck!)

Kip
kip

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4