Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Ecologist

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 8 (1604 views)

Shortcut

Any News From 7th Living Lakes Conference?

Can't Post |
Has any announcement been made in Johannesburg on selection of Sociedad Amigos del Lago de Chapala as a candidate for membership?

Bill

Post #2 of 8 (1603 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
All 4 lakes were accepted.

Rob

Post #3 of 8 (1603 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
So, what's that mean? And was Lake Chapala one of the 4 lakes accepted?

Sam

Post #4 of 8 (1603 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Copy of 8/22/02 post<p>On Sunday, the 25th of August a presentation will be held by Sociedad Amigos del Lago de Chapala, A.C. at the 7th Living Lakes Conference in Johannesburg, South Africa in order to become a candidate for membership with Living Lakes.
The same presentation will be held on Sunday, the 25th of August in Spanish and in English at 4:00 p.m. in the Auditorium in Ajijic.
The other lakes competing against us are:<p>Lake Vörtsjärv - Lake Peipsi, Estonia-Russia
Lake Poyang, China
Lake Victoria, Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda<p>We hopefully will be able to announce at that event who made it - if we made it!
You are all invited!<p>And for everybody who wants to do something hands on: Also on the 25th at 9:00 a.m. at the beach of San Antonio Tlayacapan reforestation project of CONAFOR (National Forest Commission) and TV-Azteca.
Sociedad Amigos del Lago is participating.<p>P.S. The new website of Amigos del Lago is still under construction but will be up and running soon. You all will be the first to know!
... and it's NOT the one that was publicized some days ago! <p>

Rob

Post #5 of 8 (1602 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I'm relieved we are one of the 4. Now, what is the next step. Are there documents that set out the agenda? Are there specific recommendations from the Living Lakes? Are there recommendations from the presenters that delineate self-articulated recommendations that will have some force now that the lake has been accepted? Will there be compliance by Mexico, Jalisco, Guanajuato, etc? Is there a time-line? <p>Where can I get a copy of the presentation made at the conference? Is it possible to put that presentation on the 'net so it is easily obtained? This is a vital project, one that I'd like to get involved in, even though my wife and I are several years away from getting to Ajijic.

RB

Post #6 of 8 (1606 views)

Shortcut

Lake Chapala a ";candidate";

Can't Post |
Lake Chapala, and the other 3 lakes, were all accepted as "candidates" for a one year period, at the Pretoria, South Africa meeting yesterday. What this means is that in one year a decision will be made on whether Lake Chapala will become a member lake. During this year Living Lakes will be providing assistance to Lake Chapala through/with Amigos del Lago. <p>The critical status of Lake Chapala was recognized and action plans are being formulated quickly.<p>The work is just beginning!

Jim Bentein

Post #7 of 8 (1605 views)

Shortcut

That's great news

Can't Post |
I am sincerely happy to hear this. Although I've been a sceptic about the past efforts to "save the lake" I think this has a genuine shot at bringing the kind of attention and dollars required to at least preserve Chapala. Everyone involved in this effort deserves a huge thanks from everyone in the Lakeside. As is so often the case with such political processes, there is no guarantee this will result in the political action that is needed, but this is an essential step. Although we're happily settled in Mazatlan now, the Lakeside is a beautiful area, where my wife and I have many friends. I hope this effort leads to the action we all want to see take place. Incidentally, as a journalist, I would suggest this is the kind of effort that should be as widely publicised as possible. If the group has a public relations person I hope he or she will contact me (by e-mail) since I continue to write for publications in Canada.<p>Luego

Rob

Post #8 of 8 (1602 views)

Shortcut

That's great news

Can't Post |
I would certainly echo the sentiments expressed by Jim. We must follow up with well placed and abundant publicity. Raising the level of awareness makes it more difficult to avoid the politics of saving the lake. I am sure LCS and everyone who worked so hard to get this as far as it has come deserves commendations. I am equally sure they need no encouragement to continue, but I am giving that. Please do so. Use every opportunity to capitalize on this.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4