Aug 6, 2004, 8:31 AM
Post #1 of 1
Here are two ways to freeze your favorite ice cream/sorbet recipe without an expensive iace cream maker, from a Mexican friend who runs a day care center.
(1) Put a pint of ingredients into a heavy plastic 1-pint ziplock bag. Press out the air and seal.
(2) Filll a heavy-duty 1-gallon ziplock bag with ice and salt.
(3) Add the smaller plastic bag, gently squeezing the larger bag until the ice and salt surround it. Seal well.
(4) Let the children play, carefully supervised, with the bag, tossing it from friend to friend, turning it frequently, for about 1/2 hour.
(1) Put a gallon of ice cream ingredients into a clean metal 1-gallon paint can. Replace the lid, making sure it will not leak. You could also put the ingredients in a 1-gallon ziplock bag.
(2) Add ice and salt to a 5-gallon plastic bucket and embed the small can or ziplock of ingredients in the ice. And replace the lid securely.
(3) Let the children play soccer with the bucket, rolling and kicking it until the ice cream is done, about 1/2 hour. This works especially well if on a sloping driveway or hillside.
(4) Gobble it up as fast as you can!