Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

johanson

Aug 3, 2004, 5:04 PM

Post #1 of 39 (3756 views)

Shortcut

Burger King Lakeside? Maybe

| Private Reply
Well folks, I went to Burger King today (in WA) and ordered a Whopper meal (Whopper +coffee + onion rings or fries). I noticed that I was given a 10% discount and that the total cost was only $3.24 US.

I had to know why I got a discount; so I called the Burger King HQ in Miami (1-305-378-3000). I learned that the 10% discount for anyone over 54 is an "American" policy that all "American" Burger Kings have to follow. When I asked her about Mexico she transferred me to the Latin America desk. and the receptionist their said that in Mexico this discount was voluntary. As long as I had her on the line I asked her about the rumored Burger King expansion lakeside. She checked with the Mexican Rep and responded that they new nothing about any such expansion.

Just in case she is wrong a friend of mine is going over tonight to the Pemex next to where this Burger King is apparently going to be built and he is going to ask questions of the workers

More later

(This post was edited by johanson on Aug 3, 2004, 5:12 PM)

Bubba

Aug 3, 2004, 6:46 PM

Post #2 of 39 (3709 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Burger King Lakeside? Maybe

| Private Reply
The developer building the project told me emphatically a few days ago that a mini Burger King franchise was going in the center but that the building that will house it has yet to be started. He seemed taken aback that this rumor was going around but affirmed the event.

By the way, in Sunday's MURAL, the business section heralded the event of the opening of the 200th Burger King franchise in Mexico and it is one of those mammoth projects which is located in Monterrey. The one going in here will be more like the small one in Plaza Mexico without all the kiddie stuff that makes a franchise look like Tobolandia. These restaurants are very popular in Mexico so BK is on a roll.

The price of a Whooper never occurred to me but I did notice that the Whoppers are very expensive at Guadalajara airport and not very good. Only Pete would call BK Corporate to find out why he isn't getting the old fart's discount. The discounts on the hamburgers, if saved religiously in the piggy bank, can help pay for the inevitable heart bypass surgery necessary from eating all those Cheese Whoppers.

NickP

Aug 3, 2004, 7:00 PM

Post #3 of 39 (3705 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
As PJ get's the old fart BK discount, he gives us the old farts font to read. ;)

Texwheel

Aug 3, 2004, 9:15 PM

Post #4 of 39 (3679 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NickP] Burger King Lakeside? Maybe

| Private Reply
Sorry, all you old farts, but I have a great BK less than half a mile from my house. But then the downside is that this is in Arlington, Texas, not Lakeside! BTW, BK just began advertising use of Black Angus beef for their burgers. Not sure if this is a test market or the real thing everywhere. Or if it really matters. The best burgers in this area are BK, Dairy Queen, Whataburger and Sonic. Those pricey half-pounders are generally okay but mosty just that, overpriced.

To make your palates really suffer, about a block away is one location of a small local chain called Cheddars...the absolute best chicken fried steak/beef/chicken/etc., or sandwiches thereof you have ever eaten. And this is not even a truck stop! Eat your hearts out,guys! And ladies.
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

N2Futur

Aug 4, 2004, 12:36 PM

Post #5 of 39 (3625 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Burger King Lakeside? THE BUBBA BURGER

| Private Reply
 http://cellar.org/iotd.php?threadid=6517

Where's the beef? Hehehehe....

It's at a Pennsylvania pub that serves the world's biggest burger -
weighing in at NINE lip-smacking pounds!

That's no whopper - you can actually get this meat monster for $23.95,
loaded with all the "fixins"...

Two whole tomatoes
A half-head of lettuce
12 slices of American cheese
A full cup of peppers
Two entire onions, plus a river of mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard.

Denny's Beer Barrel Pub is renown for its 6 lb. burgers.
National and local newspapers have reviewed the burger and
its main appeal seems to be...

NO ONE HAS FINISHED IT!!

Elke

(This post was edited by N2Futur on Aug 4, 2004, 12:48 PM)

sandykayak

Aug 4, 2004, 2:01 PM

Post #6 of 39 (3606 views)

Shortcut

Re: [N2Futur] Burger King Lakeside? THE BUBBA BURGER

| Private Reply
oh, no...with all this "where's the beef" talk, you folks are going to force me to pay ol' Fudruckers a visit!!
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

N2Futur

Aug 4, 2004, 2:27 PM

Post #7 of 39 (3601 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] Burger King Lakeside? THE BUBBA BURGER

| Private Reply
Guess we're doing BurgerKing for supper tonite. BK here has Wednesday night and Weekend Specials: 99 cent Whoppers - and Vern is definitly a BK addict like Bubba......

Elke

DonaldEug44

Aug 5, 2004, 5:55 AM

Post #8 of 39 (3530 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Texwheel] Burger King Lakeside? Maybe

| Private Reply
I don't think it is a test market thing, unless they are running several around the country. They have been touting the use of 100% Black Angus beef here in Marysville, WA for several months now. My personal favorite is the double bacon cheeseburger.

All of this talk about BK is making me hungry. I think I will take the girlfriend out for a nice candlelight dinner tonight. Actually it is not candlelight, I just turn on the overhead light in the pick-up while we sit in the parking lot eating our BK burgers. Being the romantic old fart that I am, I just might stick a couple of flowers in the ash tray too.

Gotta run. I have to get to the gym early today. I am thinking about getting a large fries this time around and you know what that kind of extravagence can do to the waistline.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

ekammin

Aug 5, 2004, 8:02 AM

Post #9 of 39 (3505 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Yeah, I'm hungry too, so I think I'll go out, not to Burger King, McDonald's or any of their ilk, but to a nearby Harvey's. Broiled (not steamed, microwaved or anything like that) hamburger, with cheese and my choice of toppings - not ketchup, mustard, mayo, relish, pickles, bacon bits, balsa chips and tofu, etc. all mixed up in a "secret sauce" on top.

Only in Canada, unfortunately. But, anytime any of you venture north of the border (the U.S. - Canadian one, that is), you ought to stop and try one of them.

gbatrucks

Aug 5, 2004, 9:31 AM

Post #10 of 39 (3489 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ekammin] Burger King Lakeside? Maybe

| Private Reply
It's discouraging to see the reduction in Carl's Jr. stores here in the West....Their double bacon western cheese burger is the best!
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

johanson

Aug 5, 2004, 9:39 AM

Post #11 of 39 (3485 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DonaldEug44] Burger King Lakeside? Maybe

| Private Reply
Donald: I don't like the Burger King in Marysville. You should drive 20 miles north to Mount Vernon, where I am going today for lunch for much better service and better quality onion rings.

For those of you who don't know where these two cities are, the other big city in-between them is Arlington, the site of the third largest EAA air show in the world.

Still confused? We are between Vancouver, BC and Redmond (you know where Microsoft is)

Uncle Jack

Aug 5, 2004, 10:15 AM

Post #12 of 39 (3479 views)

Shortcut

Burgers....a link of interest

| Private Reply
For all you fearless Cholesterol Cowboys out there:

http://restaurantresults.com/restaurants/003j2.html

Bubba

Aug 5, 2004, 12:49 PM

Post #13 of 39 (3450 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gbatrucks] Burger King Lakeside? Maybe

| Private Reply
I know of two Carl's Jr. stores in Guadalajara. Downtown near the cathedral and in the huge shopping center with Wal Mart, Costco, Liverpool, etc. on Vallarta. My informal survey while recently driving along the splendid corniche in Veracruz is that they are big there.

Maybe we could convince WhataBurger and Kryspy Kreme to open in Ajijic. The big carb scare in the U.S. obviously hasn't reached here yet. I guarantee you Kryspy Kreme would be a huge success in Mexico. They've already started in mexico City.

N2Futur

Aug 5, 2004, 1:27 PM

Post #14 of 39 (3443 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Burger King Lakeside? How about "Hooters".....

| Private Reply
How about a "Hooters"? I sure am gonna miss those Hot Wings! I noticed there are 3 Mexico locations, PV, Mexico City & Acapulco. Either one would be a long way to go for a Hooters fix!

Elke

(This post was edited by N2Futur on Aug 5, 2004, 1:29 PM)

Uncle Jack

Aug 5, 2004, 1:37 PM

Post #15 of 39 (3443 views)

Shortcut

Re: [N2Futur] Burger King Lakeside? How about "Hooters".....

| Private Reply
Elke;

I do a pretty good batch of original Buffalo Hot Wings. As for Hooters other offerings, I'm afraid I would be of little help.

uj

N2Futur

Aug 5, 2004, 1:55 PM

Post #16 of 39 (3436 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
well there you have it - another business opportunity: "Uncle Jack's Better-Than-Hooters Original Buffalo Hot Wings" first franchise, only to be found Lakeside! I'm sure with some imagination you can come up with some cute costume ideas for the girls to serve them! We'll be regulars for sure.......

Elke

NEOhio

Aug 5, 2004, 2:12 PM

Post #17 of 39 (3431 views)

Shortcut

|
Well now, I am gonna have to weigh-in for those belly bombs - WHITE CASTLE!!!!

When I was 12 we drove from Corpus Christi to grandma's in Detroit for the first time instead of flying, the very first White Castle we came to my Dad went nuts... he ate a whole bag (13 to the dozen remember) and drank a root beer....then we stopped at least 3 more times before Detroit.....can't even tell you what happened when we get to A & W Rootbeer....he never appreciated living or eating in Texas.

But, a Whopper gal I will always be, and mayo for the fries.

N2Futur

Aug 5, 2004, 2:21 PM

Post #18 of 39 (3430 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio] White Castle & Fries w/mayo

| Private Reply
My kinda gal! I grew up in Germany and mayo is THE stuff to have with your fries. And Curry Bratwurst.....

I don't care for the greasy burgers from White Castle, but the better 1/2 does. Whenever we visist relatives in Minnesota, the first thing we HAVE to do is find a White Castle place so he can have his "sliders" fix. I have bought him some at SAM's here, but he says it's just not the same as eating them in a REAL White Castle! Men - go figure.....

Elke

(This post was edited by N2Futur on Aug 5, 2004, 2:22 PM)

Bubba

Aug 5, 2004, 7:33 PM

Post #19 of 39 (3381 views)

Shortcut

Re: [N2Futur] White Castle & Fries w/mayo

| Private Reply
Of couse, as any Alabama boy can tell you, White castle is a shameless Yankee ripoff of the Deep South chain Krystal Burgers. I could have never gotten through a drinking binge after a Crimson Tide game in Birmingham circa 1963 without a bag of about 50 "sliders" shared by the brothers. The rule is, if you can remember the total number of sliders you consumed the night before after copious amounts of Seven & Seven, you were not having fun. However, if Sam's Club in Guadalajara is carrying frozen sliders, even if made by White Castle, maybe I'll have to join and buy a microwave. It is correct that these are no substitute for the greasy slider served up by the fat lady in the funny apron and eaten immediately off the grill in Mobile or Memphis but then I don't have to live in Mobile or Memphis. The true secret to enjoying the Sam's frozen slider is to know how long to microwave it and to eat it fast. Microwave it even one second too long and it's a hockey puck.

FeelinGroovy

Aug 5, 2004, 8:51 PM

Post #20 of 39 (3369 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gbatrucks] Burger King Lakeside? Maybe

| Private Reply
It's delicious and it has about 1200 calories - enough for the WHOLE DAY!!
Libby

elcoqui

Aug 5, 2004, 9:31 PM

Post #21 of 39 (3364 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Libby] White Castle

| Private Reply
White Castle! YUM! I grew up on those in Chicago. We don't have them in Florida - just Krystal and they are not the same. I've had them frozen too and they are not the same. But yes, they are better than none at all.

Best thing to do is take them out the plastic wrapper they are in, wrap them in paper towel and them moist with a few drops of water - Then you microwave them.

johanson

Aug 6, 2004, 12:26 AM

Post #22 of 39 (3357 views)

Shortcut

Re: [elcoqui] White Castle

| Private Reply
I am really disappointed in you guys. I stayed up late tonight, getting courage from the Bacardi rum and diet coke I'm drinking (really diet coke Select from Safeway because its cheaper). I've got the courage now. Some of you are traitors, talking about Carl Jr hamburgers Etc and how you like them, when there is nothing better than a whopper.

If you keep this up, you will create more bad karma and perhaps Burger King will never come to Lago de Chapala. Think and talk Burger King. Never mention any other imitator. Shown below is an honest, I'm not joking about this post from a bi-lingual who went to the site and asked the same questions both Bubba and I asked last evening. "Rumor has it that no Burger King will be opening here?????"

I hope he is wrong. But he wont be if you guys keep on mentioning Whopper imitators. So be careful guys.

NickP

Aug 6, 2004, 6:08 AM

Post #23 of 39 (3346 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] White Castle

| Private Reply
Pete: I have 2 plans.
Plan A: You fund the construction for the BK lakeside, Bubba will stand guard at the building site holding back at bay all who would be against corperate America building at lakeside, and I'll return too and manage the place!

If this doesn't fly, then we go to Plan B:
We open a Hooters but with a twist.....we call it Hooters, (The Golden Girls)!!!!

Let me know

gbatrucks

Aug 6, 2004, 8:56 AM

Post #24 of 39 (3314 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NickP] White Castle

| Private Reply
Nick:
So instead of Sliders, would those be Sagers?
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

(This post was edited by gbatrucks on Aug 6, 2004, 10:26 AM)

johanson

Aug 6, 2004, 9:12 AM

Post #25 of 39 (3310 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gbatrucks] White Castle

| Private Reply
All kidding aside. From my "sick" perspective, the only things missing in Ajijic are TV dinners, a Radio Shack and a Burger King.

(This post was edited by johanson on Aug 6, 2004, 9:13 AM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4