Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

NEOhio

Aug 2, 2004, 9:45 AM

Post #1 of 15 (1363 views)

Shortcut

Redeemable project..

Can't Post |
Over on the postings "Cesspool" Georgia mentioned the effectiveness of redeeming cans, bottles and plastic in cleaning up our highways NoB. I remember kids doing this daily when we lived in the inner city.

People set up non-profits for all kinds of reasons, why not to redeem trash at specified times of the year, in specific areas, under organized efforts.

Having done "charity" work throughout my life (in typical womens venues and some not so typical) it was my intention to do a limited amount of volunteering in Mexico. But it might be better to focus on one project. Maybe this could be done - there is grant money for just about anything, so it could be seeded initially. (former grant writer, Children's Defense Fund, mid-80s)

I'm going to email a friend who is a grant-writer for the World Health Organization and see if he can think of anything similar or possible funding sources. I had been meaning to email him anyway to see if he could explore what funding might be available for projects in Mexico and have not beeen tapped for lack of an organized structure to administer it.

Thoughts and talk would be much appreciated. The PESO talk finally got off the ground, and I learned a lot, the exchange was good. Thanks.

Georgia

Aug 2, 2004, 10:30 AM

Post #2 of 15 (1345 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio] Redeemable project..

Can't Post | Private Reply
I simply do not know what is recyclable and, therefore, redeemable, here in Mexico, except for aluminum cans, which can be sold by the kilo.

Bubba

Aug 2, 2004, 1:09 PM

Post #3 of 15 (1311 views)

Shortcut

You know, NE, you have the beginnings of a good idea here but I say that with one caveat. If you are not careful, the kids you will be paying to recycle will simply empty properly filled municipal garbage cans into the street, fetching whatever is recyclable and leaving the rest of the garbage for the dogs to scatter.

This reminds me of our brother-in-law's comments regarding an honor apricot orchard near Zion National Park in Utah. He and my wife's sister live in Paris and they have lived in France all of their lives. They were visiting us for a trip about the Western U.S. from our home in Sonoma County, California. We were driving toward Zion when we happened upon this apricot orchard where the trees were absolutely filled with delicious apricots and the orchard managers had simply put out a sign inviting passers-by to stop, pick the amount of apricots desired, weigh them on the scale provided at the gate and leave the appropriate payment in a shoe box located on a table near the entrance to the orchard. This was strictly on an honor system and no one manned the sales point. He was beside himself with astonishment. He indicated that, in France, if you set up an honor system such as that the French would not only not pay you for the apricots they took but would steal the money left by others plus the scale. To a Frenchman, such a system was beyond comprehension. For those of you not from the Western United States, this is a fairly common arrangement and is largely honored by all.

Later, as we crossed the California border on our way home and the agricultural inspectors at the California border, concerned about fruit fly infestation, asked if we had any fruit, I indicated that we, indeed had some apricots in the trunk that we had purchased in Utah. Of course, Utah turned out to be a banned fruit crop area and the California authorities confiscated the apricots. Our in-laws plus their kids were totally blown away that, despite the fact that it was extremely unlikely that these agricultural inspectors would ever search our car if I said we had no fruit, I had fessed up to having some. Apparently, no Frenchman in his right mind would have sacrificed the anticipated apricot tart upon arrival home because some low level state functionary asked the question as to whether or not we were importing fruit from other states.

Always use caution in dealing with those in other cultures with whom you are unfamiliar. Stay a while and mellow out. Gringo money behind a positive municipal venture may end up in the pockets of some who are opportunistic and unconcerned with your aims.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Aug 2, 2004, 2:40 PM)

Georgia

Aug 2, 2004, 2:36 PM

Post #4 of 15 (1298 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Redeemable project..

Ah, yes, Bubba, in a similar vein, I had difficulty explaining to my daughter who was raised in Ecuador that the stop sign in front of the trooper's barracks near our home in upstate New York was not simply a "suggestion" when she ran it.

The rest of the world is mind-boggled over the US system of self-reporting of income taxes, for example.

Bubba

Aug 2, 2004, 3:01 PM

Post #5 of 15 (1290 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Redeemable project..

We just returned from Riberas to our home in Western Ajijic and took a detour along the beach through Central Ajijic. The litter on the main beach is not to be believed. Now, we realize that it is Monday and the Tapatio tourists, who totally disrespect the lakefront and local sensibilities with regularity, were here in force just yesterday but this kind of filth is not acceptable.

Another idea. Instead of paying local kids to pick up litter or having litter patrols of volunteers, why not fund a non-profit litter removal enterprise jointly funded by expats and locals and properly managed by local business leaders who have the most to gain by keeping the beaches pristine. That enterprise could provide local employment and be charged with keeping the beaches clean. Expats are constantly contributing to other community projects. Aren't clean beaches an important asset to a tourist community such as Lakeside?

We really can't do anything about arrogant tourists who clog our streets and beaches calling us "Camposinos Stupidos" but we can take their money to bolster the local economy, voluntarily tax ourselves through contributions to clean up after these pigs and laugh among ourselves that they have to live in congested Guadalajara while we can live in paradise.

esperanza

Aug 2, 2004, 5:53 PM

Post #6 of 15 (1266 views)

Shortcut

Investigate a little further, posters. This type project has been operating for years under the auspices of Juanita Reid, a longtime resident of Ajijic. Watch for her and her roving bands of young litter picker-uppers on Saturday mornings. Bubba, she doesn't live far from you. Get in touch with her to see how you can help her and her good work before you start re-inventing the wheel.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

gale

Aug 2, 2004, 6:19 PM

Post #7 of 15 (1259 views)

Shortcut

Such a worthwhile posting NEOhio. Here is my experience...and interest in helping out. I lived for 5 years in a country, New Zealand, where "paradise" was sacred to all who lived and visited there. The environment was protected and respected. For example, disposing of one's picnic trash was automatic, one dared not do otherwise. Children were taught to do this as a matter of course. If occasionally, one encountered someone else's trash, it was picked up and disposed of. Interesting that the honour system for fruit and veggie stands was routine there. I would gladly participate in any project to clean up the waterfront of Ajijic, including picking stuff up myself. Anyone else up for this? If enough people were organized in turn to do this regularly, maybe we'd get somewhere. Mind you, I haven't seen it yet and spending my precious retirement as a trash collector isn't way up there. Yet I couldn't stand to look at it and do nothing. Would posting signs and having lots of trash containers help or do people who visit the waterfront just not care, or worse still, care to litter something of beauty.

Bubba

Aug 2, 2004, 7:45 PM

Post #8 of 15 (1235 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Redeemable project..

OK, Esperanza:

Why is it that Juanita's efforts are not working? The beach, day after day, is so filthy, poop itself is disgusted.

I realize that this is a daunting task. Maybe she needs help from the rest of us yokels.

If I re-invent the wheel, I hope I come up with one that actually turns.

Your friend, Bubba.

esperanza

Aug 2, 2004, 8:21 PM

Post #9 of 15 (1226 views)

Shortcut

Hey Bubba and all of you, greetings from NOB. Give Juanita Reid a call and beef up her activities.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

lmaxine

Aug 3, 2004, 7:22 AM

Post #10 of 15 (1179 views)

Shortcut

Just back from morning walk on the beach. I saw 3 men and a white pickup truck picking up trash along the lakefront, between the New and Old Posadas. I told them thank you. There was no ID on the truck, so I have no idea who is sponsoring it.
I know Juanita's kids pick up trash around the town on Saturdays-at least they used to. Haven't noticed them lately. I don't know if they do the lakefront.

"He upon whose heart the dust of Mexico has lain will find no peace in any other land." Malcolm Lowry

gbatrucks

Aug 3, 2004, 2:19 PM

Post #11 of 15 (1125 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Redeemable project..

That must have been what we saw when we were there in Feb...Kids walking around with long tongs across from the plaza picking up trash. See attached photo.
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."
Attachments: ALPHA2.JPG (45.9 KB)

JanetZ

Aug 3, 2004, 3:38 PM

Post #12 of 15 (1110 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gbatrucks] Redeemable project..

If the beach is getting littered on the weekend, then it seems that the best day to pick up litter would be on Monday, instead of letting it fester and get blown and scattered around until Saturday. I'd be happy to help out after we arrive next month. If someone has a contact number or email for an organized cleanup, please post it.

Jean

Aug 3, 2004, 4:54 PM

Post #13 of 15 (1100 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JanetZ] Redeemable project..

Just a note...Juanita and her kids need donations of face masks and rubber gloves to protect them. She is a wonderful person, funny as can be and her and the kids do a lot of good work.
Retirement Communities
http://www.retirecommunities.com

NEOhio

Aug 3, 2004, 6:16 PM

Post #14 of 15 (1084 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jean] Redeemable project..

Can't Post |
Bubba, you have taken an idea, found a more expansive and inclusive approach, and could turn it into a viable productive non-profit project. Good job, a honorary "Junior League" membership to you...I would appreciate it if someone will private reply the contact info for the existing children's effort. I will try and locate masks and gloves - should these be surgical-type gloves or do you think the "playtex" thicker type that are washable would be better? I am sure she'll have a preference.

As for the problem of trash bins being emptied, I think controlling the area and type of basket or bag used might be helpful there. I would probably approach it with a set style basket with two handles that is given out at the truck and the area defined with brightly colored tape or poles with flags. Maybe home depot would donate those heavy plastic tubs with nylon handles in a bright color......Defining the space would guarantee that people are not running willy-nilly around the area.

No word from the WHO, but he could take a while. Thanks.

Uncle Donnie

Aug 3, 2004, 10:03 PM

Post #15 of 15 (1045 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Looking through back issues of the Guad paper I read that a few years back PV paid for 20 gallon trash cans custom made and painted with a city logo to be put out in many locations around the city.

Most were immediately stolen.

Drove by the municipal storage area over in Chapala the other day. There are a number of trash receptacles piled up inside the fence. Right near the huge decorative fish that were constructed for the display around the Chapala fountain during the recent international conservation conference held in the city.

I suspect that labor costs and the lack of adequate trash trucks are major reasons the beaches are not cleaned more often. My private enterprise trash collector, like many others in the area, drives a coughin', smoke spewin' old pickup---but he does perform a valuable service, paid for by all of us in the neighborhood.

A lot of it seems to be a matter of education---or lack thereof---about environmental issues. How often have you seen folks wellin' up with either pride or tears while listenin' to "Mexico Lindo" as they toss beverage cans and food wrappers at their feet?

And just to be fair about it, do any of you remember the pictures of the thousands of tons of debris left behind by the celebrants of the last Earth Day celebrations in the U.S.? It ain't just a Tapatio mindset, although many of them are pretty inconsiderate when they venture out here to Bumpkinville.

And also keep in mind that the "Adopt a Highway" program sponsored by (I believe) the good folks at the Lake Chapala Review suffered an embarrassin' death due to the almost total lack of participation by the Lakeside expatriate community. I'm as guilty as the rest of you---I didn't get off my butt on that one either.

End of sermon. Amen and amen.

Shameless self-promotion:
http://www.headformexico.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4