Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

king1522

Jul 30, 2004, 4:46 PM

Post #1 of 23 (6183 views)

Shortcut

Question regarding shipping prescriptions from USA

Can't Post | Private Reply
Is there any problem with shipping prescription drugs into Mexico? In other words, if a friend or relative ships prescription drugs to us from the U.S. will anyone get into trouble. Is it legal? Will Mexican customs impose a duty on them? Will the Mexican government throw me so far back in the pokey, they will have to ship sunlight to me? Any and all answers will be appreciated.
Thanks

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The more paper that
is rolled off, the faster it goes.

Marlene

Jul 30, 2004, 5:29 PM

Post #2 of 23 (6171 views)

Shortcut

Re: [king1522] Question regarding shipping prescriptions from USA

My US neighbors have tried this on a few occasions and it is not successful. Don't try it.

Brian

Jul 31, 2004, 6:34 AM

Post #3 of 23 (6137 views)

Shortcut

I order prescriptions from drugstores.com and have them sent down via one of the mail services here in SMA. Duty is paid as with any other merchandise of value. The US Consulate office also provides a free service to local residents. Prescription medicine can be sent to recipients in care of the consular office. It takes a bit longer, so I just prefer to pay the small fee to the mail service. Hope this helps.

Brian

Bubba

Jul 31, 2004, 6:53 AM

Post #4 of 23 (6132 views)

Shortcut

I don't understand the need to ship presription medicine to Mexico. I've never had any difficulty finding any presription medicine I need here and without any prescription. You only need a presription for certain medicines defined as narcotics down here and I'll bet that is bacause of U.S. pressure. I pay about 1/2 the U.S. price for name brand blood pressure medication here and the quality is the same.

Carron

Jul 31, 2004, 7:24 AM

Post #5 of 23 (6126 views)

Shortcut

It's like shipping coals to Newcastle. Thousands of norteamericanos make the trip to Mexican bordertowns every weekend just to buy medicines. Everything is available here and at a much reduced cost.

If you are thinking of moving to Mexico, try a few jaunts down to the border towns to price medicines. You will be amazed.

king1522

Jul 31, 2004, 8:13 AM

Post #6 of 23 (6113 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] Question regarding shipping prescriptions from USA

Thanks for all the answers. There are two specific reasons why I ask. The first is that my wife's gynecologist prescribes a medicine that is specially formulated by her druggist here in Corpus Christi. This drug will definitely have to be shipped whenever she needs it. The second reason is our health insurance plan provides for delivery by mail 90 days of prescriptions. This may be less expensive in the long run than drugs in Mexico. I stress that I say "may". I don't know because I am not down there yet to price prescriptions. I have tried to find mail order drugs over the internet to compare the cost, but I am not conviced those are the real prices I will be paying in Mexico. We are leaving in two weeks for Lakeside. I am just trying to cover all bases.
Thanks

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The more paper that
is rolled off, the faster it goes.

Brian

Jul 31, 2004, 9:15 AM

Post #7 of 23 (6099 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Question regarding shipping prescriptions from USA

I forgot to mention that mail order prescriptions versus buying in Mexico only makes sense if one has medical insurance with a prescription plan. A 90 day supply of statins for $10 can't be beat even in Mexico.

Bubba

Jul 31, 2004, 10:42 AM

Post #8 of 23 (6081 views)

Shortcut

I don't know where you are moving in Mexico but the physicians are truly excellent in Guadalajara and could certainly be trusted to duplicate your doctor's special formulation using a local pharmacist. The same could be said about Mexico City or a number of larger cities. However, if you are planning to move back into the sticks, my advice to you is change your plans.

Guadalajara has the best doctors and hospitals I have seen and I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for 30 years before retiring to the Lake Chapala area.

johanson

Jul 31, 2004, 3:36 PM

Post #9 of 23 (6051 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Question regarding shipping prescriptions from USA

I would like to disagree with some of the well meaning but incorrect information expressed above

I know many WWII vets who have had their Free Meds sent to them in Mexico from the states for years with very few problems and when there are problems, they don't get too upset, because the Meds are free.

Someone earlier inferred that Meds are cheaper in Mexico than in the States. Sometimes that's true, but often not. Yes my statins (lipitor) are much cheaper in Jalisco than in the States. But that is often not so with other meds if you know what you are doing.

Look at the cost of thirty 5 mg lotensin at www.drugstore.com for example. The cost is $36.34. You won't believe this but the cost of thirty 10, 20 or 40 mg sized Lotensin pills is even less, $33.99.

Now in Mexico, although I do not have the prices in front of me, the 10 mg is cheaper than what one pays in the states, but almost doubles for the 20 mg and almost doubles again for the 40 mg pill. And by the time you are buying the 40 mg pill, you are paying a lot more in Mexico than in the states.

Let's take that one step further, it costs me a lot less money to buy 40 mg pills in the US and cut them in half than it does to buy 20 mg pills in Mexico

If you want to save more money, buy Benazepril, the Lotensin generic. 30 pills are 23.99 regardless of the size. (5,10,20,40) And 90 are only $65 at www.drugstore.com

Have your US Doc change your Rx for example from one 20 mg lotensin per day to 1/2 a 40 mg lotensin per day or better yet to 1/2 a 40 mg Benazepril per day.

Do you want to save even more money? Don't limit your comparison to only the US and Mexico. Often the cost of drugs in Canada is cheaper than in the states. Also check out prices at the above email address and at places like Costco be you in Canada, USA, or Mexico

And just for the heck of it check out a site on line like

www.saveonmedicines.com

Remember there is more than one way to skin a cat. And check things out before blindly following the advise posted in this forum. We are not always right.

Bubba

Jul 31, 2004, 4:21 PM

Post #10 of 23 (6040 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Question regarding shipping prescriptions from USA

Let me clarify something. I have no U. S. medical insurance plan so must pay for drugs outright. If you are paying for drugs outright, they are a lot cheaper here than there in general. You may have a different situation. I was trying to point out that drugs are just as good here as in the U.S. You must apply your own situation.

U.S. residents are extremely ignorant about Mexico as well as just about any other place on the planet and ask numerous questions reflecting that ignorance. That doesn't mean that they are stupid people but it does imply a certain insularity that is maddening. The same sort of ignorance and insularity that caused them to invade Iraq without any notion as to what they were doing.

When I turn 65, I will not be eligible for medicare because I live in Mexico even though the U.S. Government could care for me in hospitals in Guadalajara way mo bettah than those in the United States at a fraction of the cost. The people in charge of these programs are imbeciles. However, I'll still continue to take that social security check every month.

johanson

Jul 31, 2004, 4:37 PM

Post #11 of 23 (6033 views)

Shortcut

Maybe my situation is not normal. I only know that of the 6 meds I take, 2 are cheaper in the states, (at my dosages when the pills are cut in half) one is not available in Mex, and three are cheaper in Mexico. Three are for high blood pressure, one is for acid reflux, one is for sore joints, and one is for high cholesterol. I questioned the advise given above. Just like you should. Maybe you wont be as lucky as I. But I am saving money because of it. And according to my Doc, I just phoned him, the meds I am taking are typical of the type many of you might be taking.

Oh, and the one not abailable in Mexico is an ace inhibitor or beta blocker, I do not remember which. There are many other good beta blockers and ace inhibitors that are available in Mexico.

(PS, I'm told if I exercised, that the # of pills I take per day would probably decrease by 50%. When I asked the Doc if there was a pill I could take instead of working out, he wasn't amused.)

(This post was edited by johanson on Jul 31, 2004, 6:11 PM)

elcoqui

Aug 1, 2004, 3:09 PM

Post #12 of 23 (5979 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Question regarding shipping prescriptions from USA

Here is a web address that was once posted in the forums - it may be of some help:

http://www.myrxforless.com/mexican_pharmacy.html

skwala

Aug 2, 2004, 11:56 AM

Post #13 of 23 (5926 views)

Shortcut

A news article highlighted on the right side of the Mexconnect home page last week contained the information that Zocor, an anticholesterol drug that had been manufactured in Mexico ,contained 0% effective ingredient. To say that Mexican-made drugs are as good as those from the US might be a bit of an overstatement. Certainly caution is indicated.
Skwala

Bubba

Aug 2, 2004, 1:24 PM

Post #14 of 23 (5915 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skwala] Question regarding shipping prescriptions from USA

Caution is advised when buying prescription drugs anywhere including the United States. People who get cheap often get screwed. Sometime, deservedly so.

ET

Aug 2, 2004, 1:32 PM

Post #15 of 23 (5912 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skwala] Question regarding shipping prescriptions from USA

skwala writes:
A news article highlighted on the right side of the Mexconnect home page last week contained the information that Zocor, an anticholesterol drug that had been manufactured in Mexico ,contained 0% effective ingredient....

The Zocor (simvastatin) in the news in the past week was a counterfeit product. The FDA has a press release detailing the lot number the false product was stamped with; the press release can be viewed here. The FDA's press release also contains the lot number marking for an understrength batch of carisoprodol also presumably counterfeit.

Bubba

Aug 2, 2004, 3:09 PM

Post #16 of 23 (5897 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ET] Question regarding shipping prescriptions from USA

OK. Thanks, ET. That makes more sense.

sandykayak

Aug 3, 2004, 9:13 AM

Post #17 of 23 (5848 views)

Shortcut

bubba, you said you will not be eligible for medicare at age 65 because you live in mexico.

surely you will still be eligible...but would have to go stateside to be able to take use their services???
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

Bubba

Aug 3, 2004, 9:36 AM

Post #18 of 23 (5840 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] Question regarding shipping prescriptions from USA

Yes, Sandy, I misspoke. I meant ineligible without going to the U.S. Since medical care is so much cheaper down here as a rule, it makes more sense that the U.S. try to qualify certain facilities in Mexico to make them eligible to perform medicare services.

Uncle Jack

Aug 3, 2004, 9:42 AM

Post #19 of 23 (5838 views)

Shortcut

At least someone is thinking agout it.

http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/...lthp/medicaremx.html

uj

patricio_lintz

Aug 3, 2004, 1:29 PM

Post #20 of 23 (5809 views)

Shortcut

I have had prescriptions shipped twice by mail forwarding service. No problems.

I get low cost 3 month's worth through my COBRA plan. In Mexico one of my prescriptions costs $440 pesos for 20 pills (no generic available down here).

My generic via MEDCO from the states is $20 USD plus shipping for 90 pills.

I declare the true value (less shipping) & contents as prescription medicine.

NEOhio

Aug 3, 2004, 6:28 PM

Post #21 of 23 (5781 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] Question regarding shipping prescriptions from USA

Can't Post |
I talked with MEDCO late alast week, they got back to me today. Any prescription that I am eligible for will be sent to me in Mexico, properly marked. They said they send all over the world and rarely have a problem. If one develops where meds don't get where they are going on a regular basis they will use a different delivery method - Fed Ex, etc...

They also said that if I knew I would be gone for 6 months my physician could request 6 months worth. That would work for me.

This discussion and the other health insurance posting have been helpful. Thanks.

gbatrucks

Aug 5, 2004, 1:01 PM

Post #22 of 23 (5723 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Question regarding shipping prescriptions from USA

Call me crazy, but why should the govt. cover us for Medicare if were living in Mx? Just because it's the right thing to do? Don't make me laugh...That's only a line you hear during elections. The reality is, their aren't enough expats as a % of the electorate to make a difference at the polls...We can scream & shout, but who cares? The Feds save money & nobody cares about it but us....They also know that most expats in Mx don't bother to vote & aren't coming back, so "Screw 'Em."
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

Uncle Jack

Aug 5, 2004, 1:40 PM

Post #23 of 23 (5718 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gbatrucks] Question regarding shipping prescriptions from USA

Damn! I thought that they were from the government and were here to help us.

uj

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4