Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

patricio_lintz

Jul 16, 2004, 7:49 PM

Post #1 of 11 (8857 views)

Shortcut

Acid Staining of concrete floors

Can't Post | Private Reply
Any information on acid staining of floors in Mexico would be appreciated.

Where do we get the materials? what's the Spanish names of the chemicals, etc.? Are concrete scoring tools (saws) available for rent?

My wife & I just bought a lot and are in the planning stage of construction.

I have heard that acid staining of floors is a low-cost alternative to setting tile. Here's USA information:

http://www.decosup.com/

(This post was edited by patricio_lintz on Jul 16, 2004, 7:50 PM)
Attachments: My Pictures-Thailand0015.jpg (102 KB)

abq

Jul 17, 2004, 8:56 AM

Post #2 of 11 (8831 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] Acid Staining of concrete floors

I've seen some really nice stained concrete floors in San Miguel, sorry, I don't know where the supplies were purchased.. In my home in Mexico, the first floor is covered with bricks and a thick white grout. The contrast gives the floor a really dated 50's look. Rather than tearing up the floor, I'd like to re-cover in concrete. I wonder how thick the concrete layer would have to be?

BTW I have concrete flooring in a home in Albuquerque. It is scored to look like large tiles and is quite lovely. The only problem is the previous owner didn't seal the concrete properly and the kitchen has grease stains.

Esteban

Jul 17, 2004, 9:26 AM

Post #3 of 11 (8829 views)

Shortcut

Re: [abq] Acid Staining of concrete floors

Concrete, cement, grout and all the other stuff that is commonly used in Mexico for construction is a world of alchemy. Ask around, because there are combinations of various chemicals that are recommended for specific applications. I have been totally amazed by the various combinations of all the chemicals available.

Rolly

Jul 17, 2004, 10:05 AM

Post #4 of 11 (8822 views)

Shortcut

Hola Abq,

We used a 10cm topping on all the floors in my projects. Worked well. The tricky part is finding a guy with the skill to get the concrete mix right so you don't get any cracks and to get a very smooth finish so you don't have visible flaws.

There is a ripple effect all though the house when you begin raising the floor. Doors will have to be cut, the toilet will have to be reset, the toe space under the kitchen cabinets will be less, etc.

You will also have the opportunity to make changes in the electrical, telephone and TV wiring in the house because you can run new wiring on the old floor that will be covered by the new concrete. Look here for an example of what we did in the remodeling of Doņa Martha's house: http://rollybrook.com/R03-11-29.htm

Rolly Pirate

abq

Jul 17, 2004, 11:02 AM

Post #5 of 11 (8811 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Acid Staining of concrete floors

Rolly, 10 cm might be too much for me as the ceiling height is already lower than I would like. Unless, I dig up the brick.Then I could add radient floor heat!

Cynthia7

Jul 17, 2004, 5:35 PM

Post #6 of 11 (8790 views)

Shortcut

The acid stain used in SMA is probably a product called Kemiko. There have been adds in the Atencion paper and it is a great product. Years ago we used it in a building where we sold heavy equipment. We did a tortoise shell look and it was beautiful. The Kittinger furniture showroom in Dallas was where we saw it first. Google Kemiko and see what comes up.

Rolly

Jul 18, 2004, 7:54 AM

Post #7 of 11 (8771 views)

Shortcut

Abq, I just realized that I misspoke when I said 10cm; in fact, it was 5cm (2 inches). Another damn senior moment I guess.

Sorry for the confusion.

Rolly Pirate

abq

Jul 18, 2004, 8:13 AM

Post #8 of 11 (8768 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Acid Staining of concrete floors

What a relief! Maybe I can gouge in the brick for the radient heat and only add an inch. Que no?

patricio_lintz

Jul 18, 2004, 3:37 PM

Post #9 of 11 (8745 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] Acid Staining of concrete floors

Thank you! Just the information which I wanted!

http://www.kemiko.com.mx

(This post was edited by patricio_lintz on Jul 18, 2004, 3:51 PM)

ronau

Aug 1, 2004, 7:09 PM

Post #10 of 11 (8685 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] Acid Staining of concrete floors

If you are interested in comparing info with other companies, my builder in San Luis de la Paz Gto. just sent me these websites to look at as possibilities for my house.

www.oxicreto.com www.cretomex.com

patricio_lintz

Aug 4, 2004, 8:34 PM

Post #11 of 11 (8646 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ronau] Acid Staining of concrete floors

Thank you! More useful information,

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4