Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

bettyv

Jul 4, 2004, 4:15 AM

Post #1 of 20 (16218 views)

Shortcut

vegetable garden

Can't Post | Private Reply
Thanks all for the input. So disappointed in not being able to grow certain veggies. But I'll give it a try anyway. The one thing we miss here in NY is the winter season when we don't have our own home-grown variety except for our self-canned stuff. We enjoy salads with almost every meal. How do you keep from getting upset by eating raw veggies that make up a good mixed salad? I understand there is a treatment to protect our tummies. But does it change the taste? And most of all how did you all get to adjust to the change in menu?

sfmacaws

Jul 4, 2004, 3:22 PM

Post #2 of 20 (16178 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bettyv] vegetable garden

I read your post 3 times Betty and I still don't understand what you are saying? You miss the canned vegetables you have to eat in the winter in New York? That can't be right.

As a native Californian I find it hard to believe there is anything to miss in New York. Aside from that, how could you miss food in a place that imports every fresh thing they eat outside of a couple months in the summer? I mean, in January there is nothing fresh in New York that wasn't grown somewhere else - most often Mexico. So, how are you going to be deprived if you move to the source of all that good, fresh food?

and, who puts canned vegetables in a salad? Ugh!

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Esteban

Jul 4, 2004, 4:23 PM

Post #3 of 20 (16169 views)

Shortcut

Check out the kitchen forum Betty. I think you'll find that not many suffer from lack of fresh fruits and veggies anywhere in Mexico. We have great lettuce and it's the same lettuce that you get in the US but grown here. I wash mine, probably like you wash yours, in potable water. I do miss my lettuce swirling machine that takes the water off. I buy lechuga orejona (I can't remember the English word) all year round for around 7 pesos a bunch. Nothing else is missing either including avacados all year round and at a very good price. Right now nice big Haas are going for 14 pesos a kilo.

jardinero viejo

Jul 5, 2004, 12:23 PM

Post #4 of 20 (16116 views)

Shortcut

We are looking forward to our veggie gardens and orchard at our property in San Pancho (aka San Francisco), just North of PV. As avid gardeners, we are especially excited about the citrus, avacados, mangos, and other frost-tender things that we can have there.

Organic fruits/veggies are just beginning to spread more through Mexico. We found plenty of availability in Baja, since Todos Santos is a hotbed of organic farms. In the San Pancho area, a few folks are starting new organic farms or transitioning existing farms- possibly this area will also become a hotbed.

We've become used to soaking raw fruits/veggies in MicoDyne tablets, easily found in most tiendas. After the soak, we have no problems.

We are aslo lucky that PV has a fabulous organic vegitarian restaurant, Planeto Vegetariano, that we can escape to for a 'fix'. If you are ever in the area, give it a try - it is near the main church/square at the malecon in PV.
------------------------------------------------------------

" To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the public."
Theodore Roosevelt
------------------------------------------------------------

bettyv

Jul 9, 2004, 12:17 AM

Post #5 of 20 (16056 views)

Shortcut

I thought I was clear on my message. Sorry about that, I'll try to be more clear in future. No I do not put canned vegetables in my salads. I do use them for other recipes though. Being of Italian descent all of my pasta sauces are made from my garden preserves. I hadn't thought about NYC's access to fresh produce during winter months and thank you for that. As a matter of fact even in season we do not get the tastiest produce. So I feel much better now that you've brought this to my attention. Bu I'll be there soon and will be able to compare.

Kip

Jul 9, 2004, 4:11 AM

Post #6 of 20 (16054 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] vegetable garden

Who puts canned vegetables in a salad? Wellll.. I do on occassion. Garbanzo beans , sometimes kidney beans, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, jalapenos, black olives, roasted red peppers...... there's probably more that I can't think of. I guess it's just a matter of taste. I like ocmbinations and variety.

Kip
kip

sfmacaws

Jul 9, 2004, 8:43 AM

Post #7 of 20 (16020 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Kip] vegetable garden

OK, I've seen those things at the salad bar but I just pass right on by them. Actually, I think my west coast bias was showing - I'll tuck it back in.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

sandykayak

Jul 12, 2004, 3:59 PM

Post #8 of 20 (15939 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] vegetable garden

Romaine lettuce, Esteban? (the leaves look kinda like big ears)

sandy who used her salad spinner on her romaine lettuce last night!

I was also wondering about the fact that I just swirl the stuff in water...and if the veggies are imported from Mexico..how come we aren't warned to use the "sanitizing" drops?
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

Esteban

Jul 12, 2004, 5:03 PM

Post #9 of 20 (15929 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] vegetable garden

Yes, Romaine lettuce that's the one. Sure miss my salad spinner.

I never use sanitizing drops on my lettuce. I just wash it in purified water. So, I don't see the need to use them in the US or Mexico. They don't use nightsoil to fertilize crops.

abq

Jul 13, 2004, 5:59 AM

Post #10 of 20 (15888 views)

Shortcut

After I read your post I got on ebay and put in a bid for a spinner. I never use them in the US but with all the washing and soaking I do, the spinner would really help.

sandykayak

Jul 13, 2004, 9:15 AM

Post #11 of 20 (15860 views)

Shortcut

If anyone in the US is going to maz...i'll buy esteban a salad spinner and ship it to you for delivery.

send me a PM
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

jennifer rose

Jul 13, 2004, 9:54 AM

Post #12 of 20 (15852 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
If you'll look around Comercial Mexicana or a restaurant supply store, you should be able to easily find a salad spinner. One's never enough. The very small ones are great for washing and drying cilantro.

sandykayak

Jul 13, 2004, 11:28 AM

Post #13 of 20 (15829 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] vegetable garden

hah! now I have to look for a small one.....can never have too many kitchen gadgets!!
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

Delia

Jul 13, 2004, 2:12 PM

Post #14 of 20 (15810 views)

Shortcut

Salad spinners

This discussion has come up before. Luz, the store on the south side of the plaza in Ajijic, frequently has salad spinners.
They are available usually at MegaMercado, Fabrica de Francia and the new kitchen store in the mall with Liverpool in Guadalajara.

sandykayak

Jul 13, 2004, 2:31 PM

Post #15 of 20 (15805 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RogerO] Salad spinners

but Esteban lives in Mazatlan.

I have someone flying to Maz in october and will take if she can fit it in her case.
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

Delia

Jul 13, 2004, 3:13 PM

Post #16 of 20 (15791 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] Salad spinners

My point also was that somewhere in Mazatlan, a very large city also, there should be a salad spinner. Like lots of other things, one often need to look in unlikely places.

Marlene

Jul 13, 2004, 6:02 PM

Post #17 of 20 (15760 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RogerO] Salad spinners

but it's just too hot to SHOP in Mazatlan ..... AND besides we don't want the word out that there is actually STUFF here. Hot, awful, no shopping, no stuff, no spinners... just beach and surfing...Ughh! Speaking of which, our Mexican Kitchen Maestro is actually a big surf maniac, so when not in the kitchen he can be found riding those early morning waves at sunrise. Yup, when he isn't shaking his lettuce he is hanging ten, you heard it here first! He promises a surf report on the Mazatlan forum very soon..Watch for that!

julian3345

Aug 17, 2004, 12:48 PM

Post #18 of 20 (15676 views)

Shortcut

Put your washed greens into a large tea towel sized piece of manta, step out into your patio or balcony, gather up the corners of the towel and and twirl it until there are no more droplets of water being sprinkled around. Learned that trick in France long before there were salad spinners...the lettuce is crisper even than using a spinner...great upper body exercise at no extra charge :) Joan Murray

Esteban

Aug 17, 2004, 1:06 PM

Post #19 of 20 (15671 views)

Shortcut

Re: [julian3345] vegetable garden

I'll have to try that idea. I have actually looked for spinners at the big department stores ie Walmart, Soriana and Mega and haven't seen one. I haven't checked Fabrica de Francia but their prices are usually about triple what an item should cost.

I do spend time with the waves here but it's been a sad summer. No hurricanes or big storms to pump up the surf. Today, we did get a nice bunch of waves but every school kid within ten miles was there. Can't wait till the groms are all back in school..two more weeks!

bbeitz

Aug 17, 2004, 5:23 PM

Post #20 of 20 (15645 views)

Shortcut

I purchased a salad spinner a few weeks ago in Guad at Wallmart or Mega.
It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4