Forums  > Business/Commercial > Mexico Only Business/Trade

Adrian

Jul 7, 2004, 7:57 PM

Post #1 of 6 (8120 views)

Shortcut

HELP - Import Advice Needed

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi All
The wife and I own and operate a small business selling non-electrical household & kitchen goods. I would like to be able to drive to TX once in a while and load up the truck with things we have difficulty getting at a good price in Mexico for resale in our store.

If I go to Walmart in McAllen, say, and spend around US$600 on such things as crockery, cutlery, pots & pans etc. then how do I get this all home? Do we turn up at the border, pay the IVA and ask the customs broker to handle the tramites...or is it all a bit more complex because all the goods are to be resold in Mexico?

Help and advice appreciated.

Thanks

Adrian

bobich

Jul 23, 2004, 11:31 AM

Post #2 of 6 (8085 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Adrian] HELP - Import Advice Needed

If you are bringing things into Mexico for personal use, there is a $ limit you can bring in without paying duty. It used to be $50, but I believe it is now something like $200. Certain things have additional restrictions. For example, there is a limited amount of liquor you can bring in at any time.

The story is different for business use. If you are bringing in something for resale in Mexico, you should hire a customs broker which may avoid having to pay duty. NAFTA allows for many items to be imported without paying duty, but you have to do it properly. The right paperwork. certificate of origin, etc. Customs brokers are reasonably priced. If the goods were produced in a country that has no free trade agreement with Mexico, then you are probably required to pay tax.

sueanne and len

Sep 20, 2005, 9:37 PM

Post #3 of 6 (7965 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bobich] HELP - Import Advice Needed

Hi: I'm new to this site. I am driving from Canada to Mexico with household goods and goods that i plan to resell. Where do i locate a broker? do i do this at the U.S. mexican border??
Living in Vallarta

jj9000

Mar 30, 2007, 11:10 AM

Post #4 of 6 (7830 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sueanne and len] HELP - Import Advice Needed

Depends on where you are coming across. If you let me know where you are coming across, I have a list of custom brokers that are pretty decent.

Good Luck

JJ

MichaelEL

Apr 7, 2008, 12:00 PM

Post #5 of 6 (7746 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jj9000] HELP - Import Advice Needed

jj,

Do you have an English-speaking customs broker that I can ask questions about import process and duties. I'm interested in importing a modest supply of energy and conservation products that I've not found in Mexico and am considering a retail outlet. I'm a 100% novice (though I've been in business in the US for 40 years!).
We would likely bring products in through Nogales. Any advice or referrals most appreciated.
Michael

jnavarro

Apr 12, 2008, 8:20 AM

Post #6 of 6 (7727 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MichaelEL] HELP - Import Advice Needed

Where are you located in the US? Give me your phone number and I will give you a call

Juan..

jnavarro@iteso.mx

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4