Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

abq

Jul 5, 2004, 10:39 AM

Post #1 of 19 (5219 views)

Shortcut

Can I take a desktop or not???

Can't Post | Private Reply
I've heard prior posts that a used desktop can now be imported duty free to Mexico. I've also read that in practice, I still might have trouble at the border. Any definitive answer?

I'm in the process of applying for my FM3 but have decided to skip the manaje de casa as I'm only taking what my small pickup will hold. I figure the duty I'll have to pay will be less than the cost of going for the manaje. Do you think a loaded pickup with both a desktop and a laptop will give the authorities pause?

Uncle Jack

Jul 5, 2004, 12:23 PM

Post #2 of 19 (5199 views)

Shortcut

Re: [abq] Can I take a desktop or not???

"Any definitive answer?"

With all due respect ABQ, the first thing everyone must learn is that there is no such thing here in Mexico.

uj

abq

Jul 5, 2004, 12:43 PM

Post #3 of 19 (5191 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Can I take a desktop or not???

I thought I'd get called on that one. Maybe I can just tell them U.J. said it's OK.

king1522

Jul 5, 2004, 4:20 PM

Post #4 of 19 (5157 views)

Shortcut

Re: [abq] Can I take a desktop or not???

abq, UJ is right about nothing being cut and dried when you are dealing with the Mexican government. Here is my take from the research I have done pending my planned crossing next month. Frankly I think it is a crapshoot whether or not both the laptop and desktop will qualify for duty free treatment. About all I can suggest is just ask. The worse thing that can happen is they will say no. You mentioned that you are taking all your belongings in your pickup truck thus bypassing the Menaje. As I understand it, other than the duty free stuff, you will be allowed to import items with a total fair market value of $50.00 and less. If your belongings are valued at more than $50.00, you will pay a 17% duty. You are allowed to import items totaling $1,000. If all the belongings in your pickup truck total more than $1,000, you will be required to hire a broker before you can cross. Assuming your belongs are valued at no more than a $1,000, your maximum exposure will be !7% of $1,000. Of course, I have no idea what you will be carrying in your pickup. If it is only clothing and personal items, there should be no problem. However, if there are lamps, furniture, etc., you may or may not have a problem. As I said in the beginning, this only my take. I guessed wrong about completing my Menaje. I didn't think that anything powered by gasoline required including the serial number. I thought it was only electrical. Boy, was I wrong!! That one little error cost me a hefty fine!

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The more paper that
is rolled off, the faster it goes.

abq

Jul 5, 2004, 5:30 PM

Post #5 of 19 (5139 views)

Shortcut

Re: [king1522] Can I take a desktop or not???

Actually King, it was when I read your story that I decided not to do the manaje. Mostly what I'll be bringing is the "allowed stuff". You raised a good question though, I've always gone in on the FMT. Are all the things allowed on the FMT voided on the FM3?

BTW, I've never actually had my things searched while entering on the Mexican side. The US searches me all the time.

alex .

Jul 6, 2004, 7:38 AM

Post #6 of 19 (5090 views)

Shortcut

Re: [king1522] I'm pretty sure the franquicia is $150

per adult, by land. I say adult because gone are the days when one piles all the neighbor kids into the car to go shopping, when it was per PERSON.

The duty depends on the country of origin of the article , not the country from where it is imported. That could be as much as 42% for Asian products. I found that out when I got the red light and had a Japanese computer monitor on board.

Alex

Uncle Donnie

Jul 6, 2004, 10:17 AM

Post #7 of 19 (5063 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] I'm pretty sure the franquicia is $150

Can't Post |
RE: UJ. As Jack alludes to, each of us has a different experience. Years back I showed up with a PU loaded with a bit of everything including a desktop, a printer/fax/copier combo, some ugly elephant lamps, clothes, books, pots and pans, etc.

And an FM-T.

In Laredo they collected import tax on the computer and the lamps--on the sliding scale Alex mentioned--at at La Frontera they insisted on seeing everything but assessed no more duty.

I'd second the thought that it's all in the luck of the draw.

For Chris Potters' interpretation of the new reg from the official Mexican website look at my site----www.headformexico.com and click on the Ask the Renegade link.

Shameless self-promotion:
http://www.headformexico.com

esperanza

Jul 6, 2004, 10:43 AM

Post #8 of 19 (5058 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] I'm pretty sure the franquicia is $150

Here's the information directly from www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx:

¿Puedo importar un equipo de cómputo?
Si. El valor del equipo de cómputo sumado al de las demás mercancías no podrá exceder de 4,000 dólares o su equivalente en moneda nacional o extranjera.

Cuando ingrese al país por vía terrestre
Su franquicia cubre hasta 50 dólares o su equivalente en moneda nacional o extranjera, en uno o varios artículos, excepto tratándose de cervezas, bebidas alcohólicas, tabacos labrados y gasolina, salvo la contenida en el tanque de gasolina del vehículo de acuerdo con las especificaciones del fabricante.

Para ambos casos se deberá contar con la factura, comprobante de venta o cualquier otro documento que exprese el valor comercial de las mercancías.

Las cantidades podrán acumularse por el padre, la madre y los hijos, considerando inclusive a los menores de edad, cuando el arribo a territorio nacional sea simultáneo y en el mismo medio de transporte.

The translation is:

May I import a computer?
Yes. The value of your computer equipment added to the value of your other merchandise may not exceed $4,000 or its equivalent in Mexican pesos or foreign currency.

When you enter the country by land:
Your exemption covers up to $50 or its equivalent in Mexican pesos or foreign currency, in one or several articles, not including beers, alcoholic beverages, tobacco products except the contents of the gas tank of the vehicle [you're driving] in accordance with the specifications of the manufacturer.

In both cases [meaning whether you come in by land or by air; the air travel exemption is $300/person rather than $50/person] you must have an official receipt, a proof of purchase, or some other document that states the commercial value of the merchandise.

The quantities may be accumulated by the father, the mother, and the children (even though they may be minors) when the arrival to Mexico is at the same time and in the same means of transportation.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jul 6, 2004, 10:49 AM)

king1522

Jul 6, 2004, 1:53 PM

Post #9 of 19 (5031 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] I'm pretty sure the franquicia is $150

esperanza, your post states "computer equipment" shouldn't exceed $4,000. Does that include printers, scanners and modems?? Or does that just represent the value of the laptop? By the way, Don, your book is fantastic!
Don

Rolly

Jul 6, 2004, 2:14 PM

Post #10 of 19 (5023 views)

Shortcut

Laptops are always free. They are included on the list of free personal items -- clothes, camera, film, CDs, etc. It is the desktop that is not on the free list. The $4,000 includes the desktop and other support equipment for the desktop as well as any other non-free items -- VCR, large TV set, etc. A printer and a modem can almost always be claimed as part of the laptop, hence free; but you might get refused on that one.

Rolly Pirate

king1522

Jul 6, 2004, 2:26 PM

Post #11 of 19 (5019 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] I'm pretty sure the franquicia is $150

Hmmmm...not sure I understand Rolly. You state that one can cross with other non-free items--VCR, etc. Does this mean in effect the new limit is $4,000. I think I agree with you about the printer and modem. I am just not sure about the scanner. Are you saying the scanner will qualify under the $4,000 limit? It is a non-free item. Oh man, I think I am really confused now!!!!
Don

Rolly

Jul 6, 2004, 2:34 PM

Post #12 of 19 (5016 views)

Shortcut

Don, try reading the first Q&A on Don Adams' site: http://www.headformexico.com/asktherenegade.htm

Rolly Pirate

esperanza

Jul 6, 2004, 2:44 PM

Post #13 of 19 (5013 views)

Shortcut

Don et al: I don't pretend to be the 'definitive answer' in interpretation of Mexican customs law. I did, however, quote and translate the section of law currently under discussion here as published by the official Mexican customs website.

In days gone by, that law stated that only a computadora portátil (laptop) could be brought into Mexico duty-free. The wording has been changed to the wording I quoted. I don't know why the amount is given as $4,000.

IMHO, the law could easily be open to interpretation according to the will and understanding of the aduana fronteriza--the individual border customs agent who reviews your belongings.

king1522

Jul 6, 2004, 2:51 PM

Post #14 of 19 (5008 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] I'm pretty sure the franquicia is $150

Thanks Rolly and esperanza. Assuming that I do not enter the line for declaring items and just go through the redlight/greenlight bit and get a red light. In your opinion, if they decide that I should have declared anything, what is the worst that can happen? Is there a fine, do they just charge the 17% or do they throw you so far back in the pokey they have to pump sunlight to you?
Thanks
Don

Marlene

Jul 6, 2004, 3:16 PM

Post #15 of 19 (4999 views)

Shortcut

One never knows! So, has anyone seen Talosian? He will most definitely have some reports on this topic, I suspect.

LindaM

Jul 6, 2004, 3:27 PM

Post #16 of 19 (4996 views)

Shortcut

I declared some stuff about a year ago and paid the 17 percent. I then had to do the red-light/green-light thing which meant they still had an opportunity to look through my stuff and determine if I had been honest in my declaration. Fortunately I got a green so we didn't have to unload everything. But in reading the back of the declaration form it said that if you are determined to have underdelared the value they can charge you 120% of the value as they determine the value to be. Don't know if that's still the form and sure don't know if they would actually do it.

alex .

Jul 6, 2004, 3:53 PM

Post #17 of 19 (4986 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] I'll get back to you on that

I want to take a picture of the sign on the MX side.
Alex

esperanza

Jul 6, 2004, 4:53 PM

Post #18 of 19 (4978 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] I'll get back to you on that

Alex, remember that Tijuana is a free zone and the rules applying to entering a free zone are very different from the laws applied to the interior. I do want to see your picture, though.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jul 6, 2004, 4:56 PM)

Uncle Donnie

Jul 6, 2004, 10:50 PM

Post #19 of 19 (4935 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Thanks king,

I've been lazing a bit healing up from the lung tumor but as soon as I shake out of my lethargy I'll start posting updates on my website. That way you won't need to buy a new book to stay up to speed.

D

Shameless self-promotion:
http://www.headformexico.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4