Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Bubba

Jul 1, 2004, 11:19 AM

Post #1 of 4 (963 views)

Shortcut

Alert: The Japanese Flock to Mexican Food

Can't Post | Private Reply
I was shocked but elated to read this headline in the business section of the Guadalajara daily MURAL yesterday:

JAPANESE CONSUME "MEXICAN" FOOD

How great, thought I, the Mexican entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well. This bodes well for the future here.

Then I read the story.

You can, indeed, buy Mexican beer in Kyoto. A six pack of Corona costs the equivalent of about $103 Pesos there. You can also purchase a tequila knockoff called "Tequieros" which has a label with a sleeping (passed out?)drunk wearing an oversized sombrero. I believe this product came from Belgium.

(As an aside, my wife was visiting family in Paris last year when she bought some "tequila" from a reputable liquor store there that was truly awful beyond belief. Paris is now overrun with mini-bars called "Tequila" serving some of the worst and most expensive drinks on the planet. The French are relatively unsophisticated when it comes to hard liquor except for their home grown products such as cognac. Tequila quality control managers should stop this trend now if they can. Since my wife lives in Mexico and has an understanding of how to make truly excellent margaritas, she could have dazzled her friends and relatives with her fine alcoholic concoctions but the tequila she bought there was so awful it ruined her drinks. Parisians love Mexican food and drink when presented with the real thing. What a shame that they are being sold this overpriced swill posing as mexican food.)

Anyway, it turns out that the "Mexican" products available in Kyoto are really made in the United States and Australia. This is stuff such as "Tia Maria Taco Seasoning Mix" and "Tabasco Sauce" and "Old El Paso" food items from Australia. The shelves are labeled "The Authentic Taste of mexico".

Of course, cities in Mexico are overrun with "sushi" bars and "Japanese" restaurants that no knowledgable person would be caught dead in.

Turn about is fair play!

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jul 1, 2004, 1:15 PM)

gbatrucks

Jul 1, 2004, 2:02 PM

Post #2 of 4 (935 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Alert: The Japanese Flock to Mexican Food

"The French are relatively unsophisticated when it comes to hard liquor except for their home grown products such as cognac."

Can we add Pernod to that list?

Trucks
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

Bubba

Jul 1, 2004, 5:05 PM

Post #3 of 4 (900 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gbatrucks] Alert: The Japanese Flock to Mexican Food

Trucks:

Note I said "such as cognac" . Pernod is a wonderful drink as is its counterpoint "Ricard" from Marseille. The French also make fabulous calvados and other hard liquors and eaux de vie. Nobody on the planet appreciates the gifts of France more than Bubba, but they don't have a clue when it comes to making good whisky. The Bub will remain multi-cultural, thank you.I'm sure you feel the same way.

TomG

Jul 4, 2004, 8:47 PM

Post #4 of 4 (808 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Alert: The Japanese Flock to Mexican Food

Bubba;

You fail to mention absinthe,
the food of poets past.
…. And past they went…fast.
Some things are not meant to last.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4