Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ekammin

Jun 29, 2004, 8:42 AM

Post #1 of 31 (8109 views)

Shortcut

Restaurants

Can't Post | Private Reply
Last winter we drove from Guadalajara to Reynosa, and, as we got closer to the US border, noticed that we were driving close to quite a few small towns, some with not more than a dozen or so houses. What surprised us was that, in many of these towns, at least half of the houses had signs painted on them advertising themselves as restaurants.

Is dining out such a preoccupation in this area that it can support this number of restaurants? The whole place did not seem very upscale to me. Or does the owner of the house simply paint the sign, hoping that sometime someone will actually drop by and order some food for a few pesos? Can anyone explain?

Bubba

Jun 29, 2004, 10:05 AM

Post #2 of 31 (8093 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ekammin] Restaurants

Many of these are basic eateries and, at times, whorehouses or God knows what catering to truckers. You might want to keep driving if you are hungry.

gpk

Jun 29, 2004, 12:39 PM

Post #3 of 31 (8072 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Restaurants

Is this information coming from experience? I think these are just very poor people looking to supplement their incomes.

Esteban

Jun 29, 2004, 1:26 PM

Post #4 of 31 (8065 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] Restaurants

It seemed like I heard that if you had a restaurant in your house...within certain limitations, you wouldn't fall under all the other rules and regs for a normal restaurant facility. That idea could very well be something only found in Mazatlan.

Bubba

Jun 29, 2004, 2:45 PM

Post #5 of 31 (8053 views)

Shortcut

gpk:

Since you already knew the answer, why did you ask the question?

gpk

Jun 29, 2004, 4:37 PM

Post #6 of 31 (8038 views)

Shortcut

Why would you imply these places might be whorehouses unless you knew from experience?

Bubba

Jun 29, 2004, 4:46 PM

Post #7 of 31 (8034 views)

Shortcut

Because I did not just climb off of the turnip truck.

I need not go to a whorehouse to recognize a glory hole when I see one. But don't take my word for it, stop and find out for yourself.

By the way, I find nothing wrong with whorehouses. I was a banker for 35 years.

ET

Jun 29, 2004, 6:11 PM

Post #8 of 31 (8021 views)

Shortcut

Glory holes????!!!

Careful, you'll get champagnewishes/caviardreams/whatever all hot and bothered.....

Bubba

Jun 29, 2004, 8:15 PM

Post #9 of 31 (8001 views)

Shortcut

gpk:

You are right. Whorehouses or not, these are definitely just poor people trying to supplement their income.

ET gets it.

So does Bubba.

There is more to this than meets the eye.

In the desolate wastelands between San Luis Potosi and Saltillo, look for the ragamuffins trying to survive one more day by selling everything from snake skins to all sorts of endangered species they have killed in order to feed their families. A commercial activity that is an affront to all decency. Is this a zoo? How does one know if it is a zoo? Maybe these pathetic people should just walk down to the Eighth Avenue Mission for their free turkey dinner. Wait, it's too far to walk! When does the Eighth Avenue bus arrive and where are the free tokens?

The next time you drive to the border, wear blinders. You clearly already own them.

Bubba

Jun 29, 2004, 8:38 PM

Post #10 of 31 (7995 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ET] Restaurants

By the way, ET:

I did not mean to ignore you. As a chemist, you know that there are certain truths in chemistry that are self evident but that, in human relations, one man's gloryhole is another man's sinkhole. My advice, however, is simple. If one is passing an area upon the highway wherein commercial opportunity may present itself and one senses that opportunists have congregated thereabouts in order to exploit those possibilities, one should assess one's desire to engage those individuals in commercial activities which may prove beneficial but also may carry some downside risk and then decide whether to pull over and indulge or proceed in haste.

I am speaking, of course, of eating at roadside taco stands.

ET

Jun 29, 2004, 10:40 PM

Post #11 of 31 (7978 views)

Shortcut

Bubba writes:
....I am speaking, of course, of eating at roadside taco stands.....

Dang! Taco stands with private dining rooms and waitresses (and probably waiters....) too. Don't that beat all. I'm sure glad you clarified, as I'm sure there'd be terrible embarrassment all around if somebody misunderstood the modus operandi of such restaurants, particularly considering the obvious poverty, which has left the help without the means to purchase clothing, and left them to make do with their undergarments or outerwear that's obviously too small for them.

In professional circles I blunder through calling somebody a chemist is almost as insulting as calling them a butcher......

Bubba

Jun 30, 2004, 8:39 AM

Post #12 of 31 (7951 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ET] Restaurants

Forgive me for calling you a chemist, ET. I was a banker but am now a slothful retiree in constant internal turmoil as to the need to put forth the effort to bathe before receiving a clear signal as to the necessity of doing so from neighborhood fly swarms or lock and key changes at my home initiated by my wife in my absence. I am much prouder of the latter career designation than the former one so prefer to be called a retiree.

Incidentally, and further as to glory holes discussed earlier. While, of course, I would not know from personal experience despite inferences to the contrary elsewhere in this thread by other esteemed correspondents, I surmise that any man's glory hole eventually becomes a sink hole if utlized too often no matter one's personal preference as to positioning at the opening.

Bubba

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jun 30, 2004, 8:40 AM)

Bubba

Jul 1, 2004, 11:40 AM

Post #13 of 31 (7870 views)

Shortcut

A forum friend has informed me privately that I may be uninformed as to what a "glory hole" actually is.

Well, a glory hole as a concept is a crude one and not to be confused with a whorehouse per se. A whorehouse can incorporate a glory hole concept as a proferred product but not necessarily so. In trying to make certain that Bubba did not cross certain boundaries warranting censorship or the dreaded expulsion, Bubba used vague and obfuscutory language so as not to be offensive.

Sorry.

One cannot live in San Francisco for 30 years, as did Bubba, without knowing what a "glory hole" is unless one is catatonic.

By the way, my forum friend lives in a really hick town in Mexico and some would say, how does a San Franciscan end up in hicksville? Bubba has the answer.

Those who have not lived in Northern California may be misled into thinking that it is a land filled with progressive urban environments such as SF and Berkeley. My friend and I know that it is characteristic of Northern (and Southern, for that matter) California that once one has left the city for the sticks, one is on the other side of the moon. There are places near San Francisco that meth freaks living in trailer parks in Shreveport wouldn't go near.

sfmacaws

Jul 1, 2004, 11:42 AM

Post #14 of 31 (7867 views)

Shortcut

Now, there are some nice people living in Lakeport, CA Bubba, they aren't all like that <g>

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Bubba

Jul 1, 2004, 11:50 AM

Post #15 of 31 (7865 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Restaurants

Jonna:

Cute.

Are we indulging in an inside joke?

Is it true that less than 90% of Lakeport natives have ever heard of San Francisco - much less the United States?

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jul 1, 2004, 3:26 PM)

sfmacaws

Jul 1, 2004, 11:57 AM

Post #16 of 31 (7860 views)

Shortcut

I think we are.

I don't think many have heard about San Francisco but they all know where Oakland and Folsom are. Matter of fact, there is a veritable traffic jam heading for Folsom on Saturdays.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Texwheel

Jul 1, 2004, 12:13 PM

Post #17 of 31 (7858 views)

Shortcut

As I recollect there was at least one western movie that referred to a "glory hole" as the source of life (gold) in the form of nothing but gold nuggets...the upstream source where of all the panned gold flake came from, and the mere mention of which conjured up uncontrollable excitement and passion in each gold digger's eyes. (On second thought, I guess that really does actually match Bubba's definition!)
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

Bubba

Jul 1, 2004, 1:24 PM

Post #18 of 31 (7844 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Texwheel] Restaurants

You got it Tex:

Glory Hole:

Passion and excitement without the concommitant commitment. And never the need to inquire as to whether or not it was "...as good for you as it was for me?" Also, no need to wake up in the morning, look across the bed and go, "Holy, shit, how do I get out of here without waking that up!"

Uncle Jack

Jul 1, 2004, 1:51 PM

Post #19 of 31 (7842 views)

Shortcut

"Ah don know who I is this mownin, Mr. Bubba, but las night yáll toll me I was "The Yellow Rose of Texas"!

Texwheel

Jul 1, 2004, 2:11 PM

Post #20 of 31 (7838 views)

Shortcut

This sort of fits in to the story about ending up with "coyote ugly" and "double coyote ugly"...the difference being the time the evening's commitment was made!

(Of course, that's the story I HEARD!)
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

(This post was edited by Texwheel on Jul 1, 2004, 2:17 PM)

gbatrucks

Jul 1, 2004, 2:18 PM

Post #21 of 31 (7834 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Restaurants

I've just got to print this to file before it gets deleated!

Trucks
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

esperanza

Jul 1, 2004, 2:27 PM

Post #22 of 31 (7830 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gbatrucks] Restaurants

I'm sure this unusual thread is attributable to the full moon, which is tomorrow (Friday July 2).

Unfortunately we are subject to two full moons this month, the next one coming on the 31st. Wonder what fun and games we will be regaled with as that one approaches?

In English we call this rarity of two full moons in a month the 'blue moon'--as in, "Once in a blue moon."

In Spanish, this sort of rarity is expressed as "Cada venida del obispo"--every time the bishop comes. I don't even want to think about cada venida del obispo in relation to a glory hole.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Uncle Jack

Jul 1, 2004, 2:29 PM

Post #23 of 31 (7829 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Restaurants

Really BAAADDDDD Girl! Go to your room!

Bubba

Jul 1, 2004, 3:33 PM

Post #24 of 31 (7810 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Restaurants

And jus' thank, y'all, this all started out with some dude wonderin' why they wuz so many whorehouses outside of Reynosa. As Gomer would say, "Gollee and Shazzam!"

Uncle Jack

Jul 1, 2004, 3:41 PM

Post #25 of 31 (7808 views)

Shortcut

Ain't the convoluted human mine a wonerful thang!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4