Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Len

Jun 28, 2004, 2:54 AM

Post #1 of 13 (3403 views)

Shortcut

Air Conditioning in SMA

Can't Post | Private Reply
When you're through laughing at the subject line ....

I'll be on an exploratory trip to SMA in about two weeks and I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a reasonable place ($50/night) to stay that has Interenet access and A/C. Or am I crazy for asking about it? I've been watching the weather in SMA and heat and humidity are not my favorite sports but none of the threads ever mention A/C!

Thanks for the help (and the laughs).

Len

Carol Schmidt

Jun 28, 2004, 5:28 PM

Post #2 of 13 (3353 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Len] Air Conditioning in SMA

I'm back in San Miguel after 11 days in Provincetown, MA, and the temps are the same both places--seems like it was maybe 75 today with rain, which is about what we experienced all week in MA. I`ve never heard of anyplace in SMA with A/C, but trust me, you don't need it. All the tourist and civic guides say May is our hottest month, and the last two years it did indeed hit 100 a few days, but not this year, I don`t think we even quite hit 90! And the rainy season started early, which cools things off. It's not a bad rain, usually a brief heavy shower in the late afternoon, very refreshing. A fan is good to have for hot spells though. Now watch, after my saying that, you`ll probably hit a hot spell when you come! You just can`t depend on consistent weather anyplace anymore, I believe.

Carol Schmidt, glad to be home

Chumley

Jun 29, 2004, 5:19 AM

Post #3 of 13 (3325 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
To the best of my knowledge, the only businesses in SMA that have air conditioning are: La Europea liquor store, the multiplex theaters at the Gigante mall, and Famarcia Guadalajara on Ancha. Having said that, as Carol alludes, there is no need for it here, especially now during this particular rainy season which does not fit the usual pattern at all. We have been experiencing almost constant rain for two weeks and I doubt it will end before October. At this point, my skin is turning green like the large rocks in my Japanese garden, and I'm growing mushrooms in my ears.

(This post was edited by Chumley on Jun 29, 2004, 5:21 AM)

Uncle Jack

Jun 29, 2004, 5:37 AM

Post #4 of 13 (3325 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chumley] Air Conditioning in SMA

"I'm growing mushrooms in my ears."

I've used Clouds Ears fungus, but I've never seen "Chumley Ears" mushrooms. Do they hold up well in a stir fry?

uj

Chumley

Jun 29, 2004, 1:48 PM

Post #5 of 13 (3290 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Air Conditioning in SMA

Can't Post |
It was hyperbole, Uncle Jack, exaggeration not to be taken literally.

Carol Schmidt

Jul 5, 2004, 2:00 PM

Post #6 of 13 (3216 views)

Shortcut

We have now had three days with no rain at all, then two with minor showers. Today is sunny, too! But still no need for A/C.

There are internet cafes on almost every block, with charges from ten pesos an hour a bit out of Centro to as much as 20 pesos an hour. I paid $15 US an hour while in Provincetown, MA last week! There´s at least one SMA B & B which has a computer for internet use by customers but it was about $75 US a night, out by Hotel Quinta Loreto. I can check the name later if you e-mail me you need it. Ibet the more expensive hotels have net access.

The other part of your question was cheap hotels, and Hotel Quinta Loreto would probably be in your range. Hotel Sautto is too, even cheaper, but it´s a bit worn. Look in old threads on this forum--several other bargains have been mentioned.

Carol Schmidt

Chumley

Jul 7, 2004, 1:35 PM

Post #7 of 13 (3179 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol Schmidt] Air Conditioning in SMA

Can't Post |
"Hotel Sautto is too, even cheaper, but it´s a bit worn."

Sorry, Carol, but you're mistaking appearance for importance. The Saultto Hotel has a preeminent place in San Miguel’s history and has been mentioned in countless travel articles and books, the most recent being Tony Cohan’s "On Mexican Time" although he changed its name. And the hotel boasts one of finest Italian restaurants in town in a town with quite a few. The place may look drab and a little worn around the edges compared to all the chi-chi B&B’s in town, but it has CHARACTER. And the prices are very reasonable. I'd spend time in their coutyard any day.

(This post was edited by Chumley on Jul 7, 2004, 1:38 PM)

samoca

Jul 7, 2004, 5:07 PM

Post #8 of 13 (3161 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Last May I was in SMA as a tourist for a week, and it was 100 degrees F every day for the week I was in town. When I asked about air conditioned hotels, the concierge of our B & B said he thought Hotel Real de Minas probably had air conditioning. I think that's the one--esp. if it's a business class hotel, it's probably the one that I'm thinking of. I never called them to check this, however.

I have a question for the board, which hopefully someone will notice and I won't need to post it separately. It's apropos this thread as well--I will be coming to SMA this year August 1 for a month. Because it's been raining so heavily, should I bring a pancho or something, or will an umbrella suffice? Alternatively, should I just buy one when I'm there?

Thanks!

Regards,

Pat

SAnta MOnica, CA (SAMOCA)

abq

Jul 7, 2004, 5:24 PM

Post #9 of 13 (3157 views)

Shortcut

Re: [samoca] Air Conditioning in SMA

Yes, bring a poncho that you can keep in your purse. Sometimes the downpour happens when you least expect it.

gpk

Jul 8, 2004, 8:27 AM

Post #10 of 13 (3127 views)

Shortcut

Re: [samoca] Air Conditioning in SMA

Also bring shoes that can withstand the wet--the streets can become rivers in a downpour.

Carol Schmidt

Jul 8, 2004, 11:08 AM

Post #11 of 13 (3110 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] Air Conditioning in SMA

The rains seem to be returning to the old pattern of a heavy shower in late afternoon or early afternoon. The skies get gray shortly beforehand, a bit of a warning, but it can go from sunny to wet pretty quickly.

I keep a small sturdy umbrella that collapses to briefcase size in my purse at all times, and it has been all I've needed--personal preference, I don't mind getting wet around the edges.

You could buy one here but you just might need one before you find a store that sells umbrellas, like when loading luggage onto the shuttle bus in Leon for SMA, which is when I was last caught without one! I find ponchos and rain coats too hot myself. I don't think it got to 90 this May, and it's been in the 80s highs lately, cool enough for a sweater at night. Umbrellas are sold a lot of places here, but not so universally as in the States. I've seen cheap plastic foldable ponchos on sale in some stores here, too.

Chumley is right on shoes--I wear Teva sandals, designed first for kayakers who needed good tread for river banks: water flows in, water flows out.

Carol Schmidt

Cynthia7

Jul 8, 2004, 9:10 PM

Post #12 of 13 (3082 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol Schmidt] Air Conditioning in SMA

I buy children's umbrellas in the US and they are perfect for the narrow sidewalks and the Mexicans love the bright colors and themes on them- like Tweetie Bird,etc. If you don't wants sandals for the rain KMart carries a canvas shoe with tractor treads in white, black and beige. I call them Chinese water shoes because the Chinese wear them during the rainy season. They are under $5.00 a pair. We had a humdinger yesterday..hail, rain, thunder. Cool and clean.. They surrounding area is magnificent- green as Ireland. It is as pretty as I have seen it in 18 years.What a joy to live in such a lovely place.

samoca

Jul 11, 2004, 11:17 PM

Post #13 of 13 (3023 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] Air Conditioning in SMA

Thanks for all the tips everybody. Bringing an umbrella does seem like a no-brainer to me. I have a small foldable one. So I assume my tennis shoes will be sufficient for the rain? I was beginning to think from one of the posts that I might need...I don't know...galoshes??

Glad to hear it's so beautiful and green!! That's exactly what I was hoping for since it was so brown and hot in May 2003 when I was there.

Til soon!

Pat

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4