Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Anonimo

Jun 26, 2004, 3:07 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1221 views)

Shortcut

Ford cargo truck?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hola!
We are considering purchasing a used, 15-foot Ford E-350 Cargo box truck, to carry our household articles into our retirement site in Pátzcuaro. Do any of you have experience and knowledge of these vehicles? They seem terribly practical, not at all aerodynamic ;-) but they will hold a lot of stuff.
It has 4 wheels aft and 2 wheels forward.

Are there different fees for vehicles of that type entering Mexico?
BTW, it runs on unleaded gas.

Any helpful comments are appreciated.

Saludos,
Hieron

TomG

Jun 27, 2004, 8:29 AM

Post #2 of 10 (1175 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hieronymus] Ford cargo truck?

15 feet is a pretty big box for a F350 (I assumed you meant F series) sized truck. When purchasing a used truck (this size begins the world of real trucks) there are things to consider you may not have encountered before. You want to know the rear end gear ratios, transmission type, motor info, tire sizes, and spring weight ratings. The combination will determine if the truck was designed for city delivery or highway speeds. Anything will probably do it once, but an improperly configured truck can develop problems early under the wrong usage. Has the frame been stretched to accomodate the long box? Is is a good job? Is the rear axle is the best place for a balanced load? Is the truck going to have enough breaking power to hold back the weight you stuff in a 15 foot cargo box? Knowledgeable truck people can tell you this. Truck salesmen? Maybe yes, maybe no.

From a practical point of view, it is a good idea - if geared right and not overloaded. I don't know how you will beat away all the local people who will want to buy it after you get there.

Anonimo

Jun 27, 2004, 10:30 AM

Post #3 of 10 (1163 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TomG] Ford cargo truck?

Hi Tomg,
Thanks for your well-considered and detailed reply. I have also posted the same question on the Mexico Branch of lonelyplanet.com's Thorntree, at http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/...arentid=0&from=1, where I post under the handle "Anonimo".
I checked the ad, and it is, indeed, a Ford 2000 E350 Box Cargo truck. There's a picture of one at http://www.turbosquid.com/...0C33EC8.jpgLarge.jpg
I don't know if the frame is/was stretched, I was assuming that they were manufactured as is. (There were 3 available on that dealer's lot. $8,900 asking price
Our load total is not all that great, but due to bulky items, won't fit in our present vehicles. We have thought of buying an enclosed cargo trailer, but we don't consider either of our present vehicles adeqquate to the distancee nor the task.

In regard to selling it in Mexico, that idea has popped up on the Thorn Tree Mexico Board as well. My understanding was that it was illegal to sell a US plated vehicle in Mexico. Now, some helpful posters have suggested that if one were to pay the import duties on the vehicle, it would then be legally saleable in Mexico.(If it were more than 10 years old-it isn't)
Your opinions on this, and that of others on Mexconnect are appreciated. I'd like to have an opinion from Jennifer Rose, if she reads this.

Saludos,
Mike (Hieronymous)

Bubba

Jun 27, 2004, 11:10 AM

Post #4 of 10 (1152 views)

Shortcut

Mike:

I have researched this every whichaway. You cannot legalize and sell a foreign plated vehicle in Mexico except a pickup truck more than 10 years old. I hope I am wrong but I have been trying to sell my 1995 Ford Ranger to a Mexican friend without success. Once that pickup truck is 10 years old after March, 2005, the pickup can be legalized. This applies to pickup trucks only. The two of us will then drive to Laredo where, I will sell him the truck and he can have it legalized and bring it back down here. There are many storefront "legalization" shops in Laredo just north of the border.

If you sell your foreign plated vehicle in Mexico, as far as I know, you will retain legal title to that vehicle forever as far as Mexico is concerned and be held liable for anything that may happen involving that vehicle in the future. Also, if you sell it to a Mexican national, it is subject to confiscation at any time. If you are willing to accept these risks, have at it.

I hope someone will prove me wrong here so I can go ahead and sell this Ranger.

Anonimo

Jun 27, 2004, 11:21 AM

Post #5 of 10 (1147 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Ford cargo truck?

Thanks, Bubba,
We plan to do it all "the right way", no weird deals, thus fewer risks.
Seems to me that crossing the border to sell your truck is just that: sale and transfer of title on US soil.
Shouldn't be any problem with that.
(But, resale of said Ford E350 is not a pressing concern to me at this point. My main interest is suitability to the task (good, I reckon) and the least hassle at Aduana, Army checkpoints, etc.)

Saludos,
Mike (Hieron)

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

bournemouth

Jun 27, 2004, 1:59 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1124 views)

Shortcut

I am wondering if this truck would not be classified as a commercial vehicle - can one bring in a commercial vehicle for personal use? I have a nagging doubt about this - does anyone have an feedback on what can be brought in under an FMT/FM3.

TomG

Jun 27, 2004, 3:11 PM

Post #7 of 10 (1113 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Ford cargo truck?

Bubba is right. Only a 1/2 ton or less (F150) qualifies for nationalization when it is more than 10 years old. My point was that will not save you from being envied and getting many offers to buy it. Local farmers and working folks know nothing of these laws. And envied truck is also a great conversation starter (albiet an expensive one).

It is a very practical idea, if they let you in Mexico with it. You ought to be able to drive it up to Texas and get most of your money back when you are done.

rjkveton

Jun 28, 2004, 7:37 AM

Post #8 of 10 (1056 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Ford cargo truck?

1.1 Vehículos hasta de 3.5 toneladas
Aquí podrá obtener la información necesaria para importar temporalmente un vehículo automotor de hasta 3.5 toneladas.

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/...pTempVehiculos_Tema1

Moisheh

Jul 13, 2004, 1:06 PM

Post #9 of 10 (960 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Ford cargo truck?

You may have problems at the border. If they consider this truck to be commercial you will not be able to imprt it. Period. Trucks with dual wheels, over 6800 lbs. GVW and with more than 6 studs per wheel cannot be legalised. What I am saying is that they MIGHT not let the truck in at all. Not even as a temporary import.

Anonimo

Jul 13, 2004, 1:41 PM

Post #10 of 10 (950 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Ford cargo truck?

We have given up on the cargo truck idea, and are now seeking to buy a mid-sized cargo van. Just 4 wheels, two seats in the cab, and a lot of space..

Saludos,
Anonimo

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4