Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Nleegor

Jun 26, 2004, 1:17 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2125 views)

Shortcut

possible quick and cheap trip, help

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello all, Robert has been pulled off work due to some health problems. He will be off for a month or more which gives us an opportunity to dash over to Mexico to have a look see. Now, here's where we need advice. We want to come as cheap as possible, rent a car, travel around looking and staying in cheap, clean, safe places. We are not adverse to dumpy (LOL) as long as it's clean and safe. We stayed in worse in Guatemala and were no worse for the experience. Tentatively we are looking at Aug 1 for a week or more. Not sure where to arrive and start looking....Cancun and work the east coast and inland? Go to higher dryer areas due to my asthma? We too love the old historical areas and have no desire to be in an "american colony". One caveat....I hate cold weather. Sorry to have written a book. Any help you can supply would be greatly appreciated. Nancy p.s. We are in Tampa, in case you missed my earlier posts.

alex .

Jun 26, 2004, 2:31 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2108 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nleegor] the last time I rented a car

in Mexico it cost $69 USD per day for a Nissan Tsuru. Quite an impact on the ol budget, I'd say.
Alex

Nleegor

Jun 26, 2004, 5:09 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2082 views)

Shortcut

Whew! I'll say....that's outrageous. What's our alternative? The buses? Nancy

Ed and Fran

Jun 26, 2004, 5:31 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2077 views)

Shortcut

Exactly, the buses. That winds up being the advice every time someone says they plan on renting a car and driving around to visit several cities. The cost just gets a bit much. Intercity travel on first class or luxury class buses is relatively easy, clean and easier on the budget. Usually once you are in a city it's just as easy to get around using taxis. You don't have to know where you're going, worry about the drivers or look for a place to park.

Hard to recommend itineraries without a bit more to go on. We all have different places we'd recommend depending on what you want to see.

I would recommend seeing fewer places and spending more time in each one (and less time traveling).

Come back with more info on what your preferences are and I'm sure someone will be glad to offer suggestions on places to see.

Regards

Ed

alex .

Jun 28, 2004, 6:47 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1987 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] less time travelling

is exactly right. One can LIVE in Mexico on 5 tamales per day, but TRAVELLING is expensive.
Alex

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4