Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

kirksotherwig

Jun 18, 2004, 5:27 PM

Post #1 of 9 (4183 views)

Shortcut

Utilities question

Can't Post |
Is it possible to pay your electric/water bills in advance?

I´m going to be away for a week or more and I don´t want to miss a bill and then have my power turned off. I can imagine that it would be a nightmare having it reconnected, esp. if one doesn´t speak Spanish.

Of course there´s no way to know how much the bill will be before you get it, but I was hoping that I could pay a large sum, say, a thousand pesos (in the case of electric co.) and then have them deduct the next bill from that and let me apply the remainder to the next bill.

Does this make sense?
---
Posting under this name because my real (and paid) account kirkswig appears to be inoperative.

jennifer rose

Jun 18, 2004, 9:42 PM

Post #2 of 9 (4163 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kirksotherwig] Utilities question

Can't Post |
You can review your bill and pay online (if you have an account at Bancomer, Banamex, Banorte or Inbursa) by registering at CFE's website http://www.cge.gob.mx. You can also pay from any CFEmatico (sort of an ATM machine in reverse) if you know your Service Number.

Payment of water bills depends upon your local water company. In Morelia (where I am and you're not), there's a month-long window in January when customers can pay a year in advance, receiving a discount. Alternatively, one can go for four months without paying for water without any reduction in service.

esperanza

Jun 19, 2004, 4:56 AM

Post #3 of 9 (4147 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Utilities question

Can't Post | Private Reply
Where I live, you can take a copy of your most recent bill to the CFE offices and tell them that you'd like to pay a 'deposit' against the next bill. I've done it--and as you said, I paid 1000 pesos. They credited that against the bill for the next bimestre (two-month period). It's important to make the advance payment for more than you expect the next bill to be.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

juan david

Jun 19, 2004, 7:16 AM

Post #4 of 9 (4124 views)

Shortcut

You can also just walk into a Telmex office and prepay your phone.
" let sleeping dogs lie"

Marlene

Jun 19, 2004, 8:21 AM

Post #5 of 9 (4115 views)

Shortcut

In your case, if you speak to the owner of the apartment building regards your electricity bill your problem will be solved. He will show you the bill when it arrives, collect your money and pay it for you. He makes the trip anyway to pay his own bill and those of the vacant apartments. How's that for a full service landlord? You could pay him in advance and then ask for your receipts upon your return. The bills arrive to your neighborhood about the 8th and are to be paid within about a week, give or take. Glad to hear how much you are enjoying it here in Mazatlán.

kirksotherwig

Jun 19, 2004, 9:35 AM

Post #6 of 9 (4100 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ian] Utilities question

Can't Post |
Alas, I don't have phone yet, but it's good to know. Thanks.
---
Posting under this name because my real (and paid) account kirkswig appears to be inoperative.

kirksotherwig

Jun 19, 2004, 9:38 AM

Post #7 of 9 (4099 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Utilities question

Can't Post |
Ah, but of course! My landlord basically acts as the "last mile" of the postal system here, hand delivering my mail to my door, so he'd be in a position to (easily) help.

Thanks again.
---

Don

Jun 19, 2004, 12:06 PM

Post #8 of 9 (4074 views)

Shortcut

In the state of Jalisco I know you can pay your electric and telephone bill in advance. Telephone bill comes every month and I have paid it as much as two months in advance, when I knew I would be out of the area. Electric bill comes every two months and I have done the same there. Water bill we pay once a year in January. I am in Northern California now and paid both my electric bill and phone bill in advance. We always over pay to make sure all is covered.

alex .

Jun 21, 2004, 7:19 AM

Post #9 of 9 (3960 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Same in Tijuana

one can pay the water 6 months in advance, but you have to wait for the "window".
Alex

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4