Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ekammin

Jun 10, 2004, 6:36 AM

Post #1 of 32 (3323 views)

Shortcut

Weather in Ajijic

Can't Post | Private Reply
I recall, quite a few years ago, being in Saltillo for the rainy season. On most days it was warm, sunny and dry for most of the day. It would get cloudy about 3 or 4 in the afternoon, rain quite hard for a short while, but, within 30 minutes, the sun would be out again.

So, can someone tell me what the weather is usually like in Ajijic at this time of the year? (I understand that this year has been unusually wet.) I have heard that is usually rains every day, but is this all day long, or just for a short time? And, what is it like when it is not raining (temperature, wind, humidity, etc.)?

esperanza

Jun 10, 2004, 6:55 AM

Post #2 of 32 (3294 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ekammin] Weather in Ajijic

There has been an unusual stationary band of weather parked over central Mexico since May 30, when it started raining. Yesterday (June 9) was the first day and night since then that it didn't rain at all; this morning is cloudy and threatening rain again. The temperature is about 70 degrees Fahrenheit at the moment.

Normally the rainy season begins mid-to-late June and continues until late October or early November. Days during the rainy season are ordinarily sunny, breezy, and warm, with highs in the low 80s and 50% humidity. Clouds begin to gather by late afternoon and the rains come in the evening or during the night, frequently with big lightning displays and lots of crashing thunder. Nighttime lows are in the low 60s or high 50s. Sometimes the rains are accompanied by wind, but usually the winds are not high.

This year is unusual--but hey, it's weather. Who can control it?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

johanson

Jun 10, 2004, 9:59 AM

Post #3 of 32 (3257 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Weather in Ajijic

Why is it, Esperanza, that when it rains up here in the cold North, I bitch like mad, but get all excited about the thought of rain in Ajijic. And I sure hope it is still raining when I get back in two weeks. Maybe it's because when it does rain in Ajijic, it seems to do it in a very non intervening way. And that there are very very few days each year when the rain would stop the typical tourist from his or her normal activities. That said, what is happening to the lake level? Has the lake level come up enough to reach the Ajijic pier, or can one still walk around the southerly or lake end of the pier (For those of you who do not know where the pier is, it's located below the town square, and the old Posada just SW of the Lake Chapala Society.)

Bubba

Jun 10, 2004, 10:36 AM

Post #4 of 32 (3244 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Weather in Ajijic

Pete:

I am genuinely hurt. I posted the latest lake level info last week on the forum and, since you responded, I know you read it. I think you became irritated with me because I quoted El Charal regarding the potential for problems in the area with swollen arroyos should this heay rain continue unabated.

I usually get this information weekly from MURAL in the "Communidad" Section. They often print progress reports published by the National Water Commission. Since you are still on the tundra, just look up mural.com and each day's edition is on line there. For those of you who don't speak Spanish, Google will translate the paper for you (kind of, more or less)

As an ex-San Franciscan and fellow Northern Pacific coast dweller, I can tell you why rain is depressing up there and not down here. Rain up there normally comes in the winter and is cold and incessant. Rain down here is normally more sporadic and warmer. Today is an exception, I might add and the Bubba's knees are knocking.

We used to get a lot more rain in Mobile than Seattle but it came down in buckets and was soon over whereas in Seattle it would drizzle and drizzle and drizzle. Muy importante!

johanson

Jun 10, 2004, 1:03 PM

Post #5 of 32 (3222 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Weather in Ajijic

For those of you who do not read the Mural, the lake level was at a desperately low level last year at about this time. It was, as I recollect, at 23% capacity. Normally the lake level would go up and down about 1 meter each year but had been going down more each year than up. Last year we had a great rain season and the lake level increased by 3.30 meters bringing it up to almost 60% capacity and it had only gone down what, 80 cm this year?

Well the rainy season started early this year, in late May rather than about now. And according to those who read the local papers the lake level has started to come up again. In fact I was told that it had been raining quite hard up river on the Lerma. (That's the main river that feeds the lake)

Well anyway when the water level reached it's highest level, last rainy season it was 43 cm or 17 inches higher than the lowest point on the lowest support post of the wooden deck of the Ajijic pier. There was actually water reaching one side, the lower side, of the pier

So I was hoping that the lake was getting close to the that most Southeasterly post on the Ajijic pier. Maybe this year there will be water on both sides of the Ajijic pier. (The Ajijic pier is much shorter than the Chapala pier which this year extends into the lake) That's why I was asking Bubba, the man who walks several very large dogs along the shore of the lake, whether he could still make it around the South end of the pier.

I kid you not, at least one of Bubba's dogs is so big, that some of you think he has a circus animal. In fact rumor has it that some of those strange sightings of very large animals attributed to the local circus were really Bubba's very large dogs leading or dragging him along for a walk.

I figure Bubba only has one year left before his house is flooded and he has to move to high ground (Only kidding folks)

esperanza

Jun 10, 2004, 3:30 PM

Post #6 of 32 (3197 views)

Shortcut

None other than our own highly esteemed Patricio from Zapopan has posted--RIGHT HERE ON MEXCONNECT--all the latest information about the rising of the lake. It's on the Learning Spanish forum. Go over there and read it, folks.

Bubba

Jun 10, 2004, 4:17 PM

Post #7 of 32 (3183 views)

Shortcut

Go read Patricio's unattributed lake statistics in Spanish or read similar statistics in English translated from Spanish attributed to the source (MURAL) from Bubbatito a couple of days earlier. Patricio's statistics showed some minor incremental change because of some heavy rains over a two day period but you can still dip your toes into the same putrid muck whether it is Patricio's or Bubba's muck.

Actually, forget the published statistics, Bubba can tell you from amateur observation that the lirio is beginning to proliferate again and is flowing down from the Lerma and on its way to Jocotepec. This is huge and will become a crisis soon.

Bubba is hurt for lack of attribution but will soon recover and he likes Patricio and Esperanza and even Pete, so there.

esperanza

Jun 10, 2004, 4:49 PM

Post #8 of 32 (3169 views)

Shortcut

<<Proffers an olive branch>> and likes Bubba (and Doña Bubba), too.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jun 11, 2004, 2:26 PM)

Uncle Donnie

Jun 11, 2004, 12:10 PM

Post #9 of 32 (3085 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Don't want to misattribute anything so if someone already posted that it hailed a bit in Guadalajara last night ignore this one. And night before last was the first without rain since the 5th of the month.

Bubba, let's move to the beach and forget this local muck.

Shameless self-promotion:
http://www.headformexico.com

Bubba

Jun 11, 2004, 3:50 PM

Post #10 of 32 (3045 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Donnie] Weather in Ajijic

UD:

I'm thinking Quintana Roo and beaches as pure and white as the driven snow. But, damn, every time I find a new paradise, Bubba shows up.

Jerseycoa

Jun 11, 2004, 4:39 PM

Post #11 of 32 (3035 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Donnie] Weather in Ajijic

In Reply To
Don't want to misattribute anything so if someone already posted that it hailed a bit in Guadalajara last night ignore this one. And night before last was the first without rain since the 5th of the month. Bubba, let's move to the beach and forget this local muck.

I'm reading your book and it is very helpful. Thanks for writing it.
Doris

Uncle Donnie

Jun 12, 2004, 11:49 AM

Post #12 of 32 (2966 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerseycoa] Weather in Ajijic

Can't Post |
Bless you, my child! Glad you're finding the book useful.

And Bubba....I too dream of the far-aways but medical concerns keep me closer to civilization. Mazatlan looks better and better as time goes by. Pristine and secluded beaches on Stone Island and all the modern conveniences(?) on the mainland.

And most of the natives---and expats---seem much more laid back.

Just my opinion.

Shameless self-promotion:
http://www.headformexico.com

Bubba

Jun 12, 2004, 11:54 AM

Post #13 of 32 (2963 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerseycoa] Weather in Ajijic

God, in his/her wisdom, has a sense of humor.

All of this rain that has helped the lake recover substantially, has another side. Yesterday's (6/11) MURAL reports a couple on interesting things. It seems that all this rain we have been having hereabouts in addition to creating many problems in the big city, has doctors concerned about a potential outbreak of Dengue Fever in Greater Guadalajara because of the combination of flooded areas littered with a huge amount of garbage and high humidity. This a mosquito borne disease. The symptoms are red blotches on the skin, nose bleeds, black excrement, frequent vomiting or vomiting with blood, sleepiness, abdominal pain and difficulty breathing. It sounds to me if most of the Gringos living in the Lake Chapala area already exhibit at least one of these symptoms. Quick, maybe the LCS can arrange a bus trip to IMSS with a stop at WalMart.

The paper also identifies the oldest standing building in the city of Guadalajara dating from the 17th Century for which the rain is also causing some problems with the roof. The building is an old, abandoned farm known as La Casa Reforma and is located at 363-373 Reforma. A conservation agency is about to do some restoration work.

Just rememebr, be careful what you wish for and beware of Huichols bearing objects that might be intended to appease the rain goddess.

sfmacaws

Jun 12, 2004, 1:07 PM

Post #14 of 32 (2953 views)

Shortcut

In English, Dengue Fever is known as Breakbone Fever because of the extreme joint pain associated with it. It apparently feels like all of your joints are being broken off. It has at least 2 types, one much more severe and potentially lethal than the other. Last I read, they had not quite figured out why some get the relatively milder version and some get the hemoraegic, more severe form. I had heard that speculation was that Dengue II happens once someone has already had Dengue I. The symptoms you describe sound like Dengue II since the main symptom is bleeding, both internal and external from the eyes, nose, etc. With Dengue I you just get the excrutiating pain, fever and delirium. Joy!

It's found in the tropics and one of the things that keeps me covered in DEET. There is no cure and little treatment except for palliative. This past year there were cases as far north as Mazatlan due to the increased rain and flooding. Just another wonderful gift from our mosquito moms.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Bubba

Jun 12, 2004, 5:08 PM

Post #15 of 32 (2920 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Weather in Ajijic

Bubba is not feeling so good. Please pass the OFF!

johanson

Jun 12, 2004, 5:48 PM

Post #16 of 32 (2908 views)

Shortcut

Come on guys and girls, tell me about the rain, and the lake level. Bubba, you walk your dog along the shore. How close is the water level to the Ajijic pier? Or is that impossible to know because of all of the Lirio? I'll be back in 10 days and will be able to see for myself, but I would love to know if it's still raining almost every day and how close the lake is to the pier.

Oh, according to my limited experience, the normal rainy season starts sometime between the 12th and 18th of June. I sure am glad I didn't make any bets this year on when the rainy season would start.

(This post was edited by johanson on Jun 12, 2004, 5:52 PM)

Uncle Jack

Jun 12, 2004, 5:53 PM

Post #17 of 32 (2909 views)

Shortcut

Pete;

I drove by today and it looked like the water was right at the foot of the pier. I don't think that a person could walk around the end of the pier without getting wet.

uj

esperanza

Jun 12, 2004, 6:15 PM

Post #18 of 32 (2904 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Weather in Ajijic

And the only date it has NOT rained here since May 30 was June 9, this past Wednesday.

sfmacaws

Jun 12, 2004, 6:37 PM

Post #19 of 32 (2894 views)

Shortcut

Bubba is not feeling so good. Please pass the OFF!

Perhaps they will discover that the cure for dengue is Mescal? Wouldn't that be wonderful <g>

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Uncle Jack

Jun 12, 2004, 6:41 PM

Post #20 of 32 (2893 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Weather in Ajijic

¿Porque no? The Brits always put great faith in gin and tonic.

uj

Howard Botz

Jun 13, 2004, 12:26 PM

Post #21 of 32 (2803 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ekammin] Weather in Ajijic

OK, Pete.....
Risking my life from Dengue ridden mosquitoes I went to the very end of the Ajijic pier this afternoon to answer your question:
Looking straight out from the end of the pier the water is no where close to the pier. It is approx. 50 feet to the nearest water. The land in front of the pier is almost dry and you could easily drive a couple of trucks there. Same thing towards the west (Jocotopec) along the shoreline. Looking to the left of the pier (towards Chapala) it is a different story, however. There is a metal extension on the east side (Chapala) of the concrete pier which makes the whole structure wider but no longer. The water comes into approximately the corner of that metal part of the pier and continues along the eastern shoreline at about the same level. There must be more fill dirt off of the end of the pier and extending westward then there is immediately to the east of the pier. So, to the left of the pier the water line is about at the pier. In front of the pier, and to the right, it is not close.

It is 82.4 degrees and 66 % humidity at my house here in Ajijic (3-4 blocks due north of El Torrito) at 2 pm Sunday. There has been no rain at my house since a small storm on Saturday morning at 4:15 AM. It is a bright and muggy sunny day. I have been out watering some of the flowers that are showing signs of thirst.

Speaking of Dengue Fever.....I had Dengue Fever in 1967 while serving in the Peace Corps in India. I was hoping I was immune to further infections and not thrilled to read the speculation that the more virulent form of Dengue may occur with subsequent infections.

Howard

Bubba

Jun 13, 2004, 12:32 PM

Post #22 of 32 (2800 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Howard Botz] Weather in Ajijic

I repeat my earlier suggestion that the locals extend the Ajijic and Chapala piers out another couple of hundred yards and declare the water crisis resolved. I can't figure out why this idea has not caught on! They could put up great weekly markets and some beer joints on the piers and make some money.

johanson

Jun 13, 2004, 1:50 PM

Post #23 of 32 (2791 views)

Shortcut

That's great news Howard: It was during the week ending Oct 13th last year that the water reached that metal post on the Southeasterly side of the Ajijic pier. If I understood you correctly the water was either touching or almost touching the base of this metal post.

This is approximate but that means that the water level was 2.90 meters lower last year at this time than today. And if we only get the normal meter or so of rain from this time period until the end of the rainy season, we will be 3.9 meters above the low point last year. That's about 60 cm higher than the highest the water got at the end of the last rainy season. If we were to get not one meter but 3.3 meters like we did last year the lake level would indeed be lapping the roads that lead to the shore.

But the odds of having another record year of rain are small. Remember it was in the 50s the last time we had as much rain as we did last year.

That said, if I were Bubba, after all those very negative things he has said to the rain gods, I would think about moving before he is flooded out.

Uncle Jack

Jun 13, 2004, 2:00 PM

Post #24 of 32 (2788 views)

Shortcut

Come on, Pete, do you expect any of us to believe that the Rain Gods would actually mess with the Bombastic Bard of 'Bama.

uj

Bubba

Jun 13, 2004, 2:55 PM

Post #25 of 32 (2781 views)

Shortcut

Pete:

What do you mean that it is great news that Howard had Dengue Fever?

You, of course, did not mean that so don't be giving me a hard time.

"The Bombastic Bard of Bama"! Thank you Jack. You may not believe this, but the BBB has his detractors. Some guy on another forum the name of which shall not pass my lips, got all hot and bothered because I tried to attribute human frailty to the Gipper.

I have implored the rain gods to cease flooding immediately after my neighbor's house, which is between me and the lake, is fully inundated. They have responded but I don't speak Huichol so I don't understand their reply. They sounded irritated so get out the water wings.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4