Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Don Moore

Jun 6, 2004, 2:25 PM

Post #1 of 9 (1068 views)

Shortcut

Back to the basics

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'd like to hear from some of you living in Mexico about how and why you chose Mexico, what joys and disappointments you have experienced and why you stay (or are not going to stay). There have been a few complaints about censorship lately and some feel that censorship will lead to blandness and routine discussion of FM-3s, weather, etc. I think getting back to basic motivations, personal experiences, rewards and disappointments could provide some meaningful discussion (including truth without rancor). Who will give it a try?
Don Moore

Bubba

Jun 6, 2004, 5:35 PM

Post #2 of 9 (1024 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Moore] Back to the basics

Don:

Move here because of climate if you know where to move.

Do not move here for the food which is generally mediocre. If you have talent you can overcome this. The basic ingredients are there.

Move here for the access to media if you are in the right place.

Move here to get away from the dreadful and puritanical north.

Move here because it is a hell of fun place.

Move here because you cannot afford France and the people are more fun here than there anyway.

Do not move here if you are offended by conspicuous litter in public places.

Do not move here if you are offended by graffiti.

Do not move here if you expect anyone to stand up for your social rights.

Move here if you wish to be in a place where you can find medical care that is far superior to anything you can find in the United States dollar for dollar.

Do not move here if you are offended by rude drivers who will cut you off in a New York Second.

Do move here if you treasure the most polite and nicest drivers in the entire world who will do anything for you if you are stranded in the middle of nowhere. Or, will cut your throat if the opportunity arises and they are so inclined. Hey, nothing is as simple as it appears to be.

I have been here three years and you could not drag me back to the U.S. Hellhole.

El Gringo Nuevo

Jun 6, 2004, 6:30 PM

Post #3 of 9 (1005 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Back to the basics

I have been here three years and you could not drag me back to the...

However Bubba, since I'm sure you're on the up and up, you must admit that the "U.S. Hellhole" did allow you the opportunity to live where you wanted in relatively comfort, both physical and financial. Plus earn sufficient monies to have a relatively good life when the "retirement bug" bit you. It can't be all that bad since people are lined up to get into the States. Enjoy and continue to be blessed.

gpk

Jun 7, 2004, 8:27 AM

Post #4 of 9 (936 views)

Shortcut

Re: [El Gringo Nuevo] Back to the basics

If the US were a different kind of place, maybe some of us wouldn't have left.

El Gringo Nuevo

Jun 7, 2004, 8:35 AM

Post #5 of 9 (933 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] Back to the basics

In Reply To
If the US were a different kind of place, maybe some of us wouldn't have left.

I appreciate your position. To that I would only add, isn't it great that we have a choice. We have the opportunity to create our own heaven or hell depending on what we make or want out of life. Be Blessed

Bubba

Jun 7, 2004, 9:23 AM

Post #6 of 9 (922 views)

Shortcut

Re: [El Gringo Nuevo] Back to the basics

Well said El Gringo:

Actually, the facts are:

I was a mediocre and inattentive student who went to an indistinguished state university and was still able to excel in my chosen profession of banking since, in the U.S., one is not necessarily boxed in because of education and geographical origin.

Likewise, my wife, who would have been relegated to low status work in her native France simply because she was a woman, excelled in the U.S.taking advantage of business opportunities that would have never been open to her in France.

Thanks for reminding me. The opportunities open to us in that society made it possible for us to retire early and comfortably.

If I had been born in Mexico or France to a family of modest means and
little influence, I would certainly not be retired today and enjoying this forum on a Monday morning.

Vive La Estados Unidos!

juan david

Jun 7, 2004, 9:26 AM

Post #7 of 9 (919 views)

Shortcut

The big three reasons that brought and keep us here are a combination of weather, ambience and reasonable cost of living. Added together they offer us a very attractive and enjoyable lifestyle. We moved from Canada which is a fine place to grow up, make a living and raise a family. But the weather leaves more than a little to be desired. Here we live outdoors most of the time. I figure that there are roughly 20 days a year when it's a bit hotter that we like and about 20 nights when it's a bit colder than we like. This means that 85% of the year is great.
This adds to the ambience of living here because we are out and about so much. No more holing up when it's cold and rainy or snowing. When you're out you get to enjoy the warmth and courtesy of the Mexican people...even the gringos are mostly more relaxed and friendly.
While the Lake Chapala area is not cheap, it is cheaper by about 15-20% compared to our former home. Our retirement budget would have been okay in Canada, but here we have room for the nice extras without sweating the issues.....and that brings us full circle to ambience!
Once you get past the big three, there are a lot of things that make up the experience. Some you may like and some you may not. Best to try before you buy.
" let sleeping dogs lie"

El Gringo Nuevo

Jun 7, 2004, 9:56 AM

Post #8 of 9 (909 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ian] Back to the basics

Best to try before you buy.

When I began my search about retiring to Mexico, the Forum advise to visit and traverse the area before buying came across loud and clear. Not always being the one to follow sound advise, I followed that advise and thank goodness I did. My (our) views have gone all over the map these past 12 months. Once you buy a home in the greater Lake Chapala, not all locations offer a quick resale and you can be stuck for longer than you want. Good reminder, thanks. Be Blessed.

sandykayak

Jun 7, 2004, 12:40 PM

Post #9 of 9 (869 views)

Shortcut

I still have a while before retirement, but one of my motivators is that I am petrified of being old and senile in the US. Being single adds to the fear factor.

I couldn't afford the prices of private assisted living facilities/nursing homes in the US and there are too many nightmare stories of the "public" ones. And to qualify you have to be practically destitute.

I visisted 3 ACLFs in the Lakeside aread and the cost is $1,00- 1,1000/month (including meals but not medical expenses).

I'd rather die a bit sooner surrounded by warm Mexicans and my new friends/family than hooked up to a machine with more advanced medical "care."

PS I grew up in Venezuela and am fluent in Spanish, so the transiton is a lot easier for me.
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4