Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Ed

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 12 (10127 views)

Shortcut

Crime In Ajijic &; Lake Chapala Area??

Can't Post |
Is there much crime around area.Moving there in March just curious.I haven't heard to much about the "Mustard Bandits" lately,ha.
Ed

Brent

Post #2 of 12 (10098 views)

Shortcut

Crime In Ajijic &;; Lake Chapala Area??

Can't Post |
To tell the truth, I know many people in Chapala and also GDL who have been victims of property crime, and some violent crime, many of my friends are local though. I lived many years in Chicago, and very few people were victims. I never had trouble, keep some good dogs, have alarm, anti robos, and the club on your car, watch where you go, especially after dark, and only have the cash on hand that you need immediately.

Ed

Post #3 of 12 (10094 views)

Shortcut

Crime In Ajijic &;;; Lake Chapala Area??

Can't Post |
Is chapala worse than Ajijic for crime.What type of violent crime?Are there alot of breakins,petty theft,in chapala.Thats where we are going to move to in March.
Thans Ed

Brent

Post #4 of 12 (10091 views)

Shortcut

Crime In Ajijic &;;;; Lake Chapala Area??

Can't Post |
In Ajiic there is a bigger concentration of foreign citizens and gated comunities. In Chapala the foreign people are more spread out. There are burgularies to homes and cars, and some muggings at night. You can't or wouldn't want to go up on "the hill" and other not so nice areas, especially at night.
Take the listed precautions. I've lived and worked in the Jalisco area for years, I've never had problems, but know many people who have.

Gil

Post #5 of 12 (10097 views)

Shortcut

Crime In Ajijic &;;;;;; Lake Chapala Area??

Can't Post |
The hill is simply the hillside area on the northwest part of Chapala. It is a poor economic area of the village. Most gringos don't go there but a few live there with few if any problems. It is my thought that most of Chapala is safer for gringos than Ajijic since most of those in Chapala more readily blend into their neighborhoods and those in the sometimes referred to gringo village of Ajijic are usually the more readily visible targets for various sorts of vandalism often because of their cloistered communities and similar outside activities.

Ed

Post #6 of 12 (10094 views)

Shortcut

Crime In Ajijic &;;;;; Lake Chapala Area??

Can't Post |
What is the "Hill"where is that.

Brent

Post #7 of 12 (10093 views)

Shortcut

Crime In Ajijic &;;;;;;; Lake Chapala Area??

Can't Post |
I agree with what you say. Like I said, I never personally had a problem in Chapala, nor in GDL, but I know people who did, most were Mexican nationals.

Bill Meadows

Post #8 of 12 (10094 views)

Shortcut

Crime In Ajijic &;;;;;;;; Lake Chapala Area??

Can't Post |
One has to be aware of the scam artists. Also, donīt be foolish and leave your door unlocked, your car "un-clubbed," and be aware of your surroundings. I was being psuedo harrassed by a teenager but I was near the plaza, so I went to the cops and pointed the bugger out. They sent a cop width an automatic weapon to "talk" to the youngster and I havenīt seen him in town since. Just be precautionary, and shrug off the time or two that you may get taken advantage of in a market or wherever. I canīt complain. Iīve "lost" a little money here and there but it all seems to even out, somehow. Thatīs just Mexico, which I prefer to Orange County, Calif., where the whole place is one big rip off. Iīll take Ajijic anyday.

Mabel

Post #9 of 12 (10100 views)

Shortcut

Crime In Ajijic &;;; Lake Chapala Area??

Can't Post |
We never felt unsafe in Ajijic/Chapala either. Of
course, DH looks like a cross between Jesse Ventura and Tommy Chong, and I doubt that a Mex
bandido would look at him as a possible target...
,,(grin)<p>We also have never felt unsafe in the US or Canada, especially in towns of comparable size to Ajijic/Chapala..... Small towns can control the
criminal element better -- everybody knows who the crooks are, I guess, and the food in the jailhouse is not as good........(grits and molasses)<p>So when Lucy, and others, compares it to the
"high crime" areas of the US, it's really apples
and oranges. <p>I suspect that Mexico City has about
the same crime as New York but that Ajijic has more crime than Mayberry,NC .......Andy and
Barney keep things much quieter than Pancho and Cisco.......<p>You just gotta compare like to like......eh?<p> Mabel

Uncle Jack

Post #10 of 12 (10094 views)

Shortcut

The Dreaded Mustard Bandits

Can't Post |
Ed;<p>I haven't heard or read of any activity by the "Mustarderos" since June. In April Patty and I were targets, but escaped thanks to being forwarned by an earlier post on this forum by Jean. In June a woman, who was staying at the same B & B as Patty and I, was hit pretty bad. They got her money and credit cards. She was pretty upset and soon left to go back stateside. <p>I have read posts on other forums of simuliar activity in Guadalajara and Mazatlan. I get the feeling that this is a small band, a guy and a girl and maybe one other older person, who travel where the tourists or "Marks" are. Lakeside has fewer tourists in the summer. I would not be suprised if the Mustarderos return in December or January.<p>If anyone runs up to you yelling "Bird Shit!", reach for your wallet and don't let go.<p>UJ

Bill Meadows

Post #11 of 12 (10093 views)

Shortcut

Bird S-------

Can't Post |
Birdshit. Thatīs good. I am blessed to be able to speak Spanish and to have been raised in a Mexican American family. If some guy pulls some birdshit routine I would just yell at him and tell him in Spanish to get the hell out of there. Pretending to be "the boss" works in some situations, this being of them. I like to joke with some of the "sales" people who try to sell me junk. But, hey, Iīve been to Tijuana many times. You want to see bird or bull shit? Go there (but I donīt recommend it). This place (Ajijic ) is OK so just donīt be foolish and fall for such anitics, proving that youīre a mark. Somehow, anger works well. Use it.

Lucy

Post #12 of 12 (10092 views)

Shortcut

Crime In Ajijic &;; Lake Chapala Area??

Can't Post |
I haven't lived there since February, 02. At that time there were mostly minor stuff. Cars were broken into if left on the street over night is some areas. It is always best to have a secure parking area. Some pick pockets on market day. Nothing violent. The bank in Ajijic was robbed twice at the end of 2001 during business hours. I walked my dog late at night and felt no fear. It may be wise to avoid walking on the beach after dark. The streets seem just fine. I heard a few stories about purse snatching. Who knows if they are true?<p>Bottom line is most residents and tourists feel safer here than in the states. Hope this is of some help....

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4