Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Adrian

Jun 2, 2004, 5:27 AM

Post #1 of 4 (3082 views)

Shortcut

Noise

Can't Post | Private Reply
Living in the downtown area of a large city, I guess it's a fair bit noisier than in the outer suburbs or pueblitos. However, has anyone noticed that there is a general tendency to being LOUD?

For example: My daily walk of 5 blocks to my store takes me past several large stores selling a variety of merchandise (clothes, shoes, electrodomesticos etc). each store has a HUUUGE loudspeaker by their door BLASTING out whatever music or radio station takes their fancy. This also happens in the main market where individual stallholders do the same thing. It was so bad recently that the Markets Administrator threatened to slap wrists if owners didn't turn it down by several notches.

Taxis (and route-cars) tout for business by blowing their horns in loud and aggressive ways. In other countries, one hails a taxi from the sidewalk when he is displaying a 'for hire' light. In Tampico, taxis and route-cars slow down alongside you as you stand or walk on the sidewalk and blow their horns at you. This happens from around 06.00AM to way past midnight every day. Vehicle maintenance isn't too hot for these vehicles either so they often have no exhaust mufflers.

Maybe this is just me adjusting to the noise level. I came from London where, god knows, it was noisy enough in a qualitatively different way.

What are the experiences of others?

Adrian

Esteban

Jun 2, 2004, 6:04 AM

Post #2 of 4 (3073 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Adrian] Noise

One difference about Mexico, that I really enjoy, is that I can use my horn without worrying about someone pulling out a 9mm and blowing me away like in the US. As soon as that red light turns green, the game is: who can honk their horn first. The car horn can be used for what it was intended and more. It was designed as a warning tool. In Mexico it is also used instead of the doorbell, to recognize beautiful women on the sidewalk and to acknowledge friends nearby. It's abused occaisionally but not to the point you want to do bodily harm.

Two years ago, before a big festival on the Malecon, in front of a place where I ride waves, one of those portable disco trucks had their giant speakers pointed out towards the ocean and they were cranked up to massive levels. I was surfing to the Eagles "Hotel California". Never in my surfing life (since 1959) have I had the enjoyment of surfing to music. It was supreme. I suppose those taking siestas nearby were going nuts but one man's cacophony is another's Beethoven.

Buy some earplugs, kick back and when you rent or buy, make sure it's not near a disco or a main busline.

Ed and Fran

Jun 2, 2004, 6:30 AM

Post #3 of 4 (3067 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Noise

I'm with Adrian on this one, it does tend to be loud/noisy down here. Unfortunately that's part of the package, and we're not likely to be able to change it. It's one of the items that usually pops up in the 'negatives' list of living down here. Fortunately, at least imho, there are a lot more 'positives' so it more than balances out.

Adrian is lucky he doesn't have a blacksmith's shop next door.

The best defense is a good set of windows that seal well, plus air conditioning. The combination of the two can help a lot at night when the neighbor's party is still going strong at 03:00.

Regards

E&F

alex .

Jun 7, 2004, 6:53 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2981 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Adrian] Assulting the senses

I have to admit that border towns are a special place, but is it not the case that crossing into Mexico is unmistakeable? The noises , the colors, the aromas, the vibrations; for some it makes them feel more alive, to others its a burden. One can look at today as having lots of potential, or be prepared to be aggrivated all the time.
Alex

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4