Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Biggles

May 24, 2004, 10:54 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1040 views)

Shortcut

Health Insurance (any retired military?)

Can't Post | Private Reply

Hugh

May 24, 2004, 9:45 PM

Post #2 of 7 (983 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Biggles] Health Insurance (any retired military?)

I'm retired military. I plan to move to the Lake Chapala area this fall with my wife and two kids. What do other military retirees do for medical coverage.

Biggles

May 25, 2004, 6:26 AM

Post #3 of 7 (963 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Hugh] Health Insurance (any retired military?)

Hi Hugh!

Looks like my original posting disappeared (maybe it's my computer, which wouldn't surprise me). My original question was what do TRICARE Prime members do. I'm assuming anything minor is just out-of-pocket since it's so reasonable but that if it's something major, that you have to go back to the states. Is this correct? Thanks to anyone that can help--any other info you can think of would also be appreciated!

Cheri

culberto

May 26, 2004, 4:36 PM

Post #4 of 7 (887 views)

Shortcut

Hi Hugh, Hi Cheri,

I've been researching on the web and spoke to the company that mails prescriptions for the
U.S. Military. She read that they will confirm prescriptions with your military doctor then mail them to the American Embassy nearest your residence in Mexico. I don't know if this really works or not but I have posed this question on other forums. If I find out I will certainly let you know.

Brook Army Medical Center is in San Antonio, TX and I find them to be great and Hugh is right -- if it's major then head nob. I take some expensive prescriptions and I would opt for the mail order system if it works.

I am (let's see if I can get this right now) the unremarried widow of a retired AF Sergeant
thinking about moving to Mexico.
Phyllis
Culberto

pat

May 26, 2004, 5:42 PM

Post #5 of 7 (873 views)

Shortcut

My original question was what do TRICARE Prime members do. I'm assuming anything minor is just out-of-pocket since it's so reasonable but that if it's something major, that you have to go back to the states. Is this correct?
Biggles, Even if you have Tricare Prime in the states, you will revert to tricare standard when you "go overseas". You might try a Google search for Tricare. If you can get to the official site, there is a short explanation of overseas benefits for retirees.

whether the medical procedure is for something "minor" or something "major", you must first pay, and then seek reimbursement after-the-fact.

Pat

culberto

May 26, 2004, 11:18 PM

Post #6 of 7 (844 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pat] Health Insurance (any retired military?)

Here's that web page for Tricare: http://www.tricare.osd.mil/deers/default.cfmpage

Phyllis
Culberto

Biggles

May 28, 2004, 1:55 PM

Post #7 of 7 (791 views)

Shortcut

Re: [culberto] Health Insurance (any retired military?)

Phyllis,

Thanks so much for the info. I'm pretty familiar with how TRICARE works, but that's only in-country so we want to be sure our ducks are in a row before we (hopefully) make any moves. Thanks for the link!

Cheri

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4