Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Eddie

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1888 views)

Shortcut

that little hole-in-the-wall place to eat

Can't Post |
A few years ago I visited Ajijic and while there went to a very small place to eat. I can't call it a restaurant, although it's primeraly an eatery. It had about two, maybe three tables, and small ones at that. Their specialty was just one dish, as I recall, and in two sizes, small and large. I believe it was some kind of soup. While there was told that tapatios drove all the way from Guad. to eat there. IIRC it was about one block from the center, behind the bank, or "a" bank. I tried their special dish and it was excellent. There were two ladies doing the cooking and serving from behind a counter. You got your food and sat down, or took out.
Anyone know what I'm talking about?
ps It may have been a strictly "Mexican" place, as I don't recall seeing any gringos there. But then again, I was there only once.
Thanks
Eddie

Chris Bublin

Post #2 of 5 (1886 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
The tamales they make are the best! But whenever we eat there I see plenty of gringoes. <p>They make sopas which are a botana sort of like a little pizza. Try them if they have them, yummy!!

Cocinera

Post #3 of 5 (1886 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Cooking class is now in session:<p>Sopa refers to rice or pasta served with your meal (sopa seca) or to certain (but not all)soups (sopa aguada.<p>Sopes are the dish (in this case an antojito)made here. They are flat discs approximately 2 1/2" in diameter with a slightly higher rim, thicker than a tortilla and made of tortilla masa, fried in the brazier, and filled with whatever the cook chooses: beans and cheese, shredded pork or chicken, picadillo, etc., and topped with shredded lettuce and onion.<p>Try the empanadas with green salsa. Bet you can't eat just one!

Ann

Post #4 of 5 (1885 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
The restaurant you are talking about has no name but is called by some "Hole-in the Wall" and others call it "The black door" It is located on Hidalgo and is painted pink and blue. It is
1 1/2 blocks from 6 corners.
The soup you were referring to is pozole. It is served Tuesday nights. On Monday they serve tamales, empanadas, tostados and flautas. On Saturday they serve tamales. They are closed the rest of the week.

Roberto

Post #5 of 5 (1883 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
The address is 96 Hidalgo.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4