Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

mariadelcarmenjuarez

May 19, 2004, 3:45 PM

Post #1 of 12 (15475 views)

Shortcut

estamos preocupados por el brote de viruela/ we are worried about the smallpox outbreak

| Private Reply
recently, we hear more and more of new cases of smallpox. is anyone concerned???
recientemente, han surgido mas y mas casos de viruela . quisiera saber si hay un sentido de preocupacion publica??

johanson

May 19, 2004, 5:52 PM

Post #2 of 12 (15453 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mariadelcarmenjuarez] estamos preocupados por el brote de viruela/ we are worried about the sma

| Private Reply
This is a joke, right? I thought there had not been a reportable case of smallpox in North America in perhaps 20 years. I just phoned and asked my Doctor, and he said the same thing. What am I missing here?

mariadelcarmenjuarez

May 19, 2004, 7:25 PM

Post #3 of 12 (15438 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] estamos preocupados por el brote de viruela/ we are worried about the sma

| Private Reply
No, it is not joke I recently retired from the local health department, here in Arizona, the last I heard in the USA was the immunizations trials in New York, which had a 10% failing rate. I recently became more concerened because on the mMexican channel Azteca, they reported a smallpox outbreak in Mazatlan. They were also conducting immunizations in different parts of the country to children and adults 1-39 years of age. My sister in law is a nurse for ISSTE, the Mexican government health institution, I just saw her this past Sunday, and they are truly concerned. children are saying the Spanish brought it to America whrn they invaded us. I think we can check with the CDC, Atlantla. your MD is not really informed or does not want to scare you..
take care.

Rolly

May 19, 2004, 8:24 PM

Post #4 of 12 (15423 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mariadelcarmenjuarez] estamos preocupados por el brote de viruela/ we are worried about the sma

| Private Reply
I just did a Google looking for news of an outbreak of smallpox in Mexico or anywhere else. There was none. I find it very hard to believe that such a thing as a smallpox outbreak could be kept out of the newspapers and international media. I would expect there to be a very major uproar over this, since smallpox is thought to have been completely removed from the earth. Can you shed more light on this, Sr Juarez?

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on May 19, 2004, 8:29 PM)

johanson

May 19, 2004, 8:32 PM

Post #5 of 12 (15417 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I too did a google search and here is what I learned from the CDC both in English and Spanish

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/...ol/generalidades.asp

Smallpox outbreaks have occurred from time to time for thousands of years, but the disease is now eradicated after a successful worldwide vaccination program. The last case of smallpox in the United States was in 1949. The last naturally occurring case in the world was in Somalia in 1977. After the disease was eliminated from the world, routine vaccination against smallpox among the general public was stopped because it was no longer necessary for prevention.

AND AGAIN IN SPANISH
Durante miles de años han ocurrido ocasionalmente epidemias de viruela; sin embargo, luego de un exitoso programa de vacunación mundial se logró erradicar la enfermedad. En los Estados Unidos, el último caso de viruela se registró en 1949, mientras que el último caso ocurrido en forma natural en el mundo fue en Somalia en 1977. Una vez que la enfermedad se erradicó en todo el mundo, se suspendió la vacunación habitual de toda la población porque ya no había necesidad de prevenirla.

jennifer rose

May 19, 2004, 8:57 PM

Post #6 of 12 (15412 views)

Shortcut

|
Sarampión (measles) has re-surfaced, and there's been a huge vaccination campaign going on Morelia.

mariadelcarmenjuarez

May 19, 2004, 9:34 PM

Post #7 of 12 (15403 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] estamos preocupados por el brote de viruela/ we are worried about the sma

| Private Reply
Factual evidence is what we need. I have worked with health issues in the past and getting the facts is the most difficult task when something of this magnitude is going on. This is the only reason I decided to to inquire using this network, among others I will use. One important fact is that smallpox is being called "sarampion" , which is chickenpox, and no vaccine is necessary. If it was chickenpox, they will not be immunizing children and adults 1-39 years of age, it was on TV, I saw it in AzTECA 13 channel. furthermore, I remember that the cut-off age for immunizations was 40 years, because it has been 40 years since the vaccine was administered and smallpox eradicated. It was the 9-11 /war issues that brought it back, first in trials of immunizations, and people developed the disease.
We probably need the proper channels to get to the facts with the CDC, but sometimes, in my experince, there is corruption.
please if you know anything new let me know. I would like to be wrong, but I know it is a fact.
good luck.

mariadelcarmenjuarez

May 19, 2004, 9:42 PM

Post #8 of 12 (15398 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] estamos preocupados por el brote de viruela/ we are worried about the sma

| Private Reply
measles should be paperas, not sarampeon,measles has been present in Mexico and some cases have been reported in the US from people carring the disease to this country. Here, most children get vaccinated for measles, in 1998 I remember we had at least one confirmed case in Maricopa County. Therefore, it can be true that smallpox has been re-introduced to Mexico and to the world. lets continue with the facts... please share
thank you

arnulfo

May 19, 2004, 9:50 PM

Post #9 of 12 (15390 views)

Shortcut

|
The fact is you have the Spanish terminolgy all mixed up!

Medical terms in Mexico:

Paperas = mumps
Sarampion/rubeola = measles
Varicela = chickenpox
Viruela = smallpox

ET

May 19, 2004, 10:52 PM

Post #10 of 12 (15368 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

"mariadelcarmenjuarez" writes:
....No, it is not joke I recently retired from the local health department, here in Arizona, the last I heard in the USA was the immunizations trials in New York, which had a 10% failing rate.....

AND

.....Factual evidence is what we need. I have worked with health issues in the past and getting the facts is the most difficult task when something of this magnitude is going on. This is the only reason I decided to to inquire using this network, among others I will use. One important fact is that smallpox is being called "sarampion" , which is chickenpox, and no vaccine is necessary. If it was chickenpox, they will not be immunizing children and adults 1-39 years of age, it was on TV, I saw it in AzTECA 13 channel.....

I'll throw in several fragments of a reply on the off chance this isn't a bizzare attempt at trolling. In such a case please do the public health profession a favor and stay retired as your paranoid ramblings and churning of factoids does nobody in the field any justice.

If there is any factual basis to your postings, it starts and ends with your confusion of the current attempts by Mexican public health authorities to manage an outbreak of the measles (Sarampión) centered in the Distrito Federal, Estado de Mexico, and Hidalgo. Somewhere on the order of 85% of the diagnosed cases (over fifty already this year, plus 44 in 2003) in this outbreak involve persons over the age of 15, with the current suspicion being that this group is at risk because they only received a single dose of the measles vaccine during childhood, rather than the two-dose schedule currently in use.

For the past year the US CDC and other public health authorities have been investigating cases of monkeypox in persons who have had either (a) close contact with wild or exotic mammalian pets and/or (b) contact with persons with monkeypox. Amongst the infection control and exposure management techniques being used to control monkeypox is the vaccination of health care workers and household contacts with suspected cases of monkeypox; the vaccine being used is the smallpox vaccine.

The most recent naturally acquired case of smallpox in the world occurred in 1977.

You may also find this article from the MMWR to be of value.

jodielyn

May 20, 2004, 6:23 AM

Post #11 of 12 (15339 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ET] estamos preocupados por el brote de viruela/ we are worried about the sma

| Private Reply
Now you've got me wondering. Last summer i posted a question on here regarding something my daughter had been exposed to while she was in Mexico last August.

It was described as small red filled spots inside and outside of the body. Someone in the house she was staying at developed this and everyone else moved out. She was told it was very serious and could last 1 to 2 months and he might die from it.

Could it have been smallpox? Who knows...

Jodie

ET

May 20, 2004, 7:31 AM

Post #12 of 12 (15326 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jodielyn] estamos preocupados por el brote de viruela/ we are worried about the sma

| Private Reply

jodielyn writes:
....Could it have been smallpox? Who knows.

Diagnosing any condition from a 14 word description is absurd. However, because of the high degree of interest and surveillance in place worldwide for smallpox, the answer is a resolute NO. And as you said, WHO knows.

(This post was edited by ET on May 20, 2004, 7:38 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4