Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Anna

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 9 (6433 views)

Shortcut

Brita-water purification/question

Can't Post |
Will my Brita water purification system works in Mexico? Should I brin it with me?
Thanks for your response

Hank

Post #2 of 9 (6430 views)

Shortcut

Buy bottled water(5 gallon) at Market, like locals do.

Can't Post |
No Message

Uncle Jack

Post #3 of 9 (6428 views)

Shortcut

What about?

Can't Post |
I have used Brita filter with great success here in the states and I know that they will remove most chemicals and such. <p>How do they do with the real problem; amoebas and bacteria?

Zapata Bob

Post #4 of 9 (6426 views)

Shortcut

What about?

Can't Post |
Jack- There are three ways to be sure to kill bacteria that can be used with home systems that I'm aware of. The regular old chlorination system thats been commonly used for decades, and two newer applications for smaller more centralized use, (like under the sink like a Brita unit only larger.) The two processes involve using ultraviolet light or a membrane and a series of small tanks. <p>The smaller units can be found at Home Depot and Lowes in the states and probably retail for about $300. +/-!

Bill

Post #5 of 9 (6425 views)

Shortcut

Brita-water purification/question

Can't Post |
Ours works just fine. We buy the filters at Costco in Guad. 3 for approx. $19

RexC

Post #6 of 9 (6426 views)

Shortcut

Brita-water purification/question / caution

Can't Post |
We have a Brita filtered water pitcher. There is a sticker on the bottom of it that advises that while the filter will remove lead, copper, and undesirable tastes, it will not filter out bacteria.<p>For that reason we do not depend on it to truly purify our drinking water. We no longer use the Brita filters. We just fill it with purified water from a Garafon, and keep it in our bathroom for rinsing our mouths after brushing our teeth, etc.<p>I don't know if Brita makes filters that will mount on a faucett that will filter out bacteria. Possibly they do. But I would verify that it does remove bacteria before using one for human consumption.<p>Rex

Jean

Post #7 of 9 (6426 views)

Shortcut

The Brita Site says...

Can't Post |
With two friends that have just been diagnosed with typhoid here at Lakeside, I decided to check out the Brita site to see what they say. We also use a Brita but we also use it on bottled water.<p>The site did state:<p>The BRITA Pitcher Water Filtration System is not intended to purify water. Do not use with water that is microbiologically unsafe or of unknown quality without adequate disinfection before or after the system.

Gary Anderson

Post #8 of 9 (6424 views)

Shortcut

Question for Bill

Can't Post |
I've been wondering about this for a while - is the Brita system sufficient by itself to make your tap water potable, or would a better idea be to use it as a "second line of defense" along with a UV or similar system?<p>Thanks,
GA

David

Post #9 of 9 (6424 views)

Shortcut

Question for Bill

Can't Post |
Brita does NOT remove bacteria, but does remove substances such as Chlorine etc.<p>It will not prevent you from getting sick or dying from EColi, you need a UV Style of system.<p>Fantom.com have introduced a new system that does exactly that, it KILLS Bacteria.<p>Brita is strictly for taste.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4