Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

kirkswig

May 17, 2004, 4:04 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1675 views)

Shortcut

ADSL upstream speed

Can't Post | Private Reply
I see Telmex is hosting this Prodigy Infinitum ADSL service, and the lower speeds seem reasonably priced. But they only cite the downstream speeds on their website. Anybody know what the upstream speeds are?

Donald

To boldly go where no wig has gone before.

johanson / Moderator

May 17, 2004, 7:42 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1662 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kirkswig] ADSL upstream speed

Come on some one help me here. I believe it is 256 on the 512 and on the 1024 download speeds

kirkswig

May 17, 2004, 8:18 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1658 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] ADSL upstream speed

512 downstream/256 upstream would be very reasonable. I have 1.5Mbps down/256Kbps up now with Sprint. But if somebody knows what upstream would be for 256 downstream I'd be grateful. I'd like to do VoIP and teleconferencing (using something like Apple's iChat AV) and I need to figure out my budget; if I don't nail it down now I know I'll just buy the bandwidth on impulse and end up buy the 1Mbps service, which I don't really need.

And who on Earth is buying the 2Mbps service? What was it, $600 @ month U.S.?!? For that kind of money, I could lay my own fiber optic cable to the states and maybe get some digital TV in the bargain. Jeesh.

To boldly go where no wig has gone before.

johanson / Moderator

May 17, 2004, 9:55 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1649 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kirkswig] ADSL upstream speed

You asked about the 256 kb/s ADSL (I presume offered by prodigy). The 256 and what was the 512 have had their speeds almost doubled and are now sold as the "up to 512" and the "up to 1024" and their download speeds are as I recollect are 256. VoIP is popular down here. Most popular is Vonage followed by packet8 and IconnectHERE in the the Lake Chapala area.

I use a local ISP in Ajijic. I have a fixed WIFI internet connection where my upload and download speeds are close to the same; one IP # is clamped to 256 up and down and I have no problems with VoIP. I have another IP # at closer to T-1 up and down. Of course it works well with VoIP as well.

Cynthia7

May 18, 2004, 1:59 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1629 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] ADSL upstream speed

Packet8 and Vonnage work well in Mexico both on Prodigy and Cybermatsa. Packet 8 has been half the price of Vonnage but I read that Vonnage has met that price in the last few days. On the Packet8 website it tells you how to connect with dial up but I don't know anyone who has tried it. VOIP telephones do not need a computer which I have a hard time convincing people. You only need an internet connection.

king1522

May 18, 2004, 5:56 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1613 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] ADSL upstream speed

Thats correct Cynthia. I use Vonage here in the US. I wanted to try it and make sure it works before I make my final move. It does not require a computer.
Don

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The more paper that
is rolled off, the faster it goes.

Jerry@Ajijic

May 18, 2004, 7:17 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1604 views)

Shortcut

Re: [king1522] ADSL upstream speed

Vonage does not require a computer but the amazing thing about ADSL is we can both be on line, both of us be talking to our daughter in Canada on Vonage , talking to a person here in Ajijic all at the same time on one little wire.

P.S. Vonage works fine.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4