Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Chumley

May 15, 2004, 8:52 AM

Post #1 of 10 (1238 views)

Shortcut

New Ethnic Restaurant in town

Can't Post |
A good friend mentioned that a new restaurant had opened in town. It is located on Umaran in the location once occupied by L'Invito. It is called The Berlin Cafe, and as you can guess, features German cuisine. It is owned by the man who runs Viajes San Miguel, one of the better travel agencies in town, and a German. My friend who told me about it visited with another friend who also happens to be German, and approved of the offerings. I will check it out soon, but it's nice to know that there is another type of menu available in our growning list of fine dining in San Miguel.

jennifer rose

May 15, 2004, 8:57 AM

Post #2 of 10 (1225 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chumley] New Ethnic Restaurant in town

Can't Post |
While you're discussing restaurants in San Miguel de Allende, how about a rundown of the best in these categories?

Meat
Fish
Chinese
Other Asian
Cheap eats
Deli

Carol Schmidt

May 15, 2004, 12:51 PM

Post #3 of 10 (1209 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] New Ethnic Restaurant in town

Can't Post | Private Reply
My favorites:

Meat:

Tio Lucas advertises it has the best meat in town, and it's pretty good overall. I like the bronzed pork chops and the marinated skirt steak accompanying the chilaquiles for weekend brunch at Harry's. I like the meatballs at La Parroquia and meatloaf at Harry's.

El Pegaso has an excellent beef-topped Thai salad. Ole Ole has the best mixed beef and chicken fajita plate for only 60 pesos. El Catrin has a large variety of meats, including good ribs and BBQ sausage.

Barbeque Bob's "only" has barbequed sausages, pulled pork, and jerked chicken sandwiches along with his organic veggies storefront, but I buy his frozen sausages to take home. That jerked chicken is superb, grilled right in front of the storefront until it is char-blackened and spicy.

Fish:

El Habanero has the best bacon-wrapped, cheese and chili-stuffed shrimp in town. I love the mussels and the shrimp fettucini at Harry's and the mussels at Bella Italia, fresh on Thursdays, plus Bella Italia makes a good salmon vodka pasta. Nirvana has the best coconut shrimp in town, IMO, though many people will vouch for Hecho en Mexico's.

Chinese:

You have your choice, Lung Fu or El Palacio Chino, and neither grabs me consistently. Lung Fu also has Thai food as well. The best Kung Pao chicken in town is on the menu at El Pegaso, and they have a Thai beef salad, though their menu is not predominantly Chinese.

Other Asian:

Nirvana has a curry fish soup that is a meal in itself at 45 pesos. For middle-eastern, there's El Harem for a variety of dishes, especially their baked half chicken and baba ganoush.

Cheap eats:

El Correo's breakfasts and chili rellenos run 35-60 pesos and are very large and wonderful. El Buen Cafe has a range of meals and a pretty good bakery, with southern comfort food on Wednesdays.

The carnitas place next door to Bonanza grocery store, I think it's Apollo XIII, is really cheap for excellent pork, tortillas and salsa. A couple places in town have started offering all you can eat buffets, but I avoid those like the plague, I eat too much. One such is in the Gigante mall down near the Gemelos movie theaters--35 pesos for pizza, spaghetti and salad. Mama Mia's has an all-you-can eat breakfast buffet every day for 65 pesos.

The fish stands in Tuesday Market are really cheap, and I trust them because the fish is coming right out of a vat of boiling fat onto your plate--I think 10 pesos for a big fillet.

A really cheap place that many like is Torta Mundo on Umaran near Zacateros--only 10 pesos for a torta, if I recall, but I found the lunch meat fatty. For 10 pesos what do you expect? The hefty fish tacos are also 10 pesos at the taco stand around the corner from Espino's grocery store, and the chili-loaded hot dogs are around 15 pesos.

Deli:

Casa Mia has a salad and sandwich bar that are the freshest around, and I especially love their sandwich on a sesame roll with lox and capers. El Pegaso has excellent corned beef, pastrami and Reubens.

I'll add a couple more categories:

Italian:

Romano's has huge portions and I do love their Italian sausage and spaghetti plate, though it's enough for two. It comes with an appetizer of chicken liver pate and roasted veggies that I love. I like La Grotta's pizza better, though it's thin crust--it offers blue cheese as one of the toppings, my favorite.

Gombo's, hard to find, is acclaimed for its pizza, though it doesn't taste anything like pizza to me--I'm not a shrimp on pizza kind of person. When I'm not thinking pizza, I like it.

Bakeries:

La Buena Vida has a nice sit-down area for light lunches and breakfasts too, and the owners hire women from the domestic violence project. El Maple has the best sourdough. Casa Feliz makes the best cakes.

Vegetarian:

You can get five different veggies of your choice on a plate at Hecho en Mexico, one of my favorites overall, though it has plenty of meat, chicken and fish on the menu (its cheeseburger on grilled sourdough is my favorite). El Tomate is known for its wide variety of vegetarian dishes.

And then there's Finnegan's Pub and restaurant, formerly Los Amigos, which is supposed to reopen soon. Loved their food before, I'm sure I'll love their new menu again, when they concentrate on only three menu offerings a day. Hope corned beef and cabbage appear often.

I'll think of more and add some later. Off to see "Troy" at the Gemelos theatres, opening here the same time as it opens in the States.

Carol Schmidt

P.S. added later--"Troy" was pure violence, and all Brad Pitt's nude scenes were cut for Mexico! I found it boring.

(This post was edited by Carol Schmidt on May 17, 2004, 7:11 AM)

jennifer rose

May 16, 2004, 10:30 AM

Post #4 of 10 (1168 views)

Shortcut

El Pegaso

Can't Post |
When is El Pegaso due to re-open?

Carol Schmidt

May 16, 2004, 3:10 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1152 views)

Shortcut

Restaurants closed for vacation, and a marvelous morning

Seems like half the restaurants in town close down for a couple of weeks this slow time of year for remodeling and vacations. I don't know the exact date but I'm sure it will be within two weeks. I'll check the sign on the door next time I go by to see if a specific date is given.

Love their grilled pineapple ring and ice cream dessert. In fact, we just fixed that for our dinner--didn't need much after our big brunch at La Parroquia, after attending the Unitarian Universalist service at 10:30.

The Rev. Farley Wheelwright, who must be in his late 80s, spoke on same-sex marriages, in honor of the momentous day tomorrow in Massachusetts. Norma and I are going to Provincetown in June to try again to get married legally, after 25 years together, and after going to San Francisco and being shut down in our attempt there.

Farley, who is also on the board of the Biblioteca and who has been active in SMA for probably 20 years, has been speaking out for gay rights since before Stonewall in 1969, and he's done many same sex holy unions himself. He has two grandkids who are gay. It was a very supportive meeting and we felt the congregation's blessings.

Afterward we happened upon one of those spontaneous parades at the Jardin, two pickups with sound systems leading about 50 costumed dancers having a ball. I have no idea what it was all about but I love it. Another magical morning in San Miguel.

Carol Schmidt

Cynthia7

May 16, 2004, 8:45 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1126 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol Schmidt] Restaurants closed for vacation, and a marvelous morning

We had a hamburger today at the Matador out by Pollo Feliz on the by pass. It has been in SMA for many years. I had forgotten how good the food there is. Decorated in bullfight pictures and posters and owned by the same gentleman that has had it for 18 years or more. This is its third location in all those years. Parking and good food!!Wow!

lometogo

May 19, 2004, 9:06 PM

Post #7 of 10 (1067 views)

Shortcut

I just tried a fairly new restaurant called EL FOGATO. It's about two blocks past Barbecue Bob's going out of town, on the same side of the street.
They have to-die-for pastor and queso bistec. It's friendly, downhome, and a real price performer.

Chumley

Jun 8, 2004, 9:40 AM

Post #8 of 10 (979 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I tried the new German restaurant last night and was pleasantly surprised by the choices and quality of the food. I would recommend it for anyone seeking a stick to the ribs dinner experience. And, by the way, Amigos is re-opening in a new location on Calle Jesus, half way between Umaran and Cafe Parroquia. No date given for the re-opening, but since the location was not previously a restaurant, one would think it would take some time to ready it.

Carol Schmidt

Jun 9, 2004, 9:55 AM

Post #9 of 10 (946 views)

Shortcut

The original location for Amigos on Codo is now Finnegan's Pub and restaurant, under one of the partners, Patrick and his wife.

Carol Schmidt

Cynthia7

Jun 9, 2004, 9:11 PM

Post #10 of 10 (920 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol Schmidt] New Ethnic Restaurant in town

Did we forget Hecho in Mexico? Wonderful, consistent,good service, Mexican with a slightly southern drift!!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4