Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

talosian

May 13, 2004, 10:16 PM

Post #1 of 16 (7468 views)

Shortcut

Should I bring them or not?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I love doing handyman work and so I have lots of tools. The thing is I live in California where construction is 99% wood and drywall. I know in Mexico it's mostly brick, rock and concrete. I have a miter saw, Sawzall and lots of things for working with wood in construction. So since I want to do some things around the house I bought and I'm figuring it will be mostly if not exclusively, is it worth bringing my tools which are mostly for wood or should I sell them here?

Or should I being them on my FM-3 and sell them there?

Thoughts please.

Spock/David
"When all logical explanations have failed, we must look to the illogical for the answer.

Rolly

May 14, 2004, 7:13 AM

Post #2 of 16 (7457 views)

Shortcut

Re: [talosian] Should I bring them or not?

Bring your tools!!!! You can never have too many tools.

Rolly Pirate

Esteban

May 14, 2004, 3:31 PM

Post #3 of 16 (7438 views)

Shortcut

I agree with Rolly, bring em all in. You would be surprised how much you'll use them. Bring extra brushes for the electrical tools. Used tools don't sell for much money ANYWHERE so it's worth the effort to have them with you.

jardinero viejo

May 14, 2004, 5:08 PM

Post #4 of 16 (7427 views)

Shortcut

I am in the construction business and am also considering bringing tools down as part of my Menaje de Casa. From what I've seen so far, you will get great use out of all your tools, masonry or otherwise. So I agree with the other folks, go for it!

In fact, I have observed the local masonry crews excavating wall foundations with pick and shovel. Now, in younger days, I used those same picks and shovels. But, a few years ago, someone smart invented the electric jackhammer. For any type of tight excavation, these are a delight - indispensably used by landscapers, masons, etc. in the US.

So, the first present I plan to give to my contractor is a Makita electric jackhammer and a portable generator for it. If I am guessing right, this might just end up coming back to me in 'karma' fashion.

Best of luck.....
------------------------------------------------------------

" To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the public."
Theodore Roosevelt
------------------------------------------------------------

Judy in Ags

May 23, 2004, 5:51 PM

Post #5 of 16 (7372 views)

Shortcut

Yes, if you possibly can, bring them. When we got ready to move here, my husband brought some of the strangest tools that I didn't think he would ever use and sure enough, I was wrong. Just yesterday he loaned his dry wall sanding tool to a guy who had done some work for us and has become a friend. He also brought lots of screws and nuts and bolts from both our garage and his dad (his dad died years ago). He brought lots of lawn and garden tools (rakes, hoes, etc.) that were sitting around and we have used them SO much.

Best wishes in your move!!!

lbc

Jun 13, 2004, 7:43 AM

Post #6 of 16 (7297 views)

Shortcut

A price update: friend bought a table top...small "Skill" circular saw. Price in San Miguel hardware store: 265 $ US.

simon

Aug 4, 2005, 9:01 AM

Post #7 of 16 (7133 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
By all means bring your tools. I just finished building a closet using studs and concrete wall-board and was glad to have some of the basic power tools. I've brought suitcases full of tools and building material on prior visits. Amazing what can fit inside a large roller bag!

bournemouth

Aug 4, 2005, 9:30 AM

Post #8 of 16 (7126 views)

Shortcut

Re: [simon] Should I bring them or not?

Where did you find concrete wall board? We've looked and looked for that but never found any.

Esteban

Aug 4, 2005, 10:38 AM

Post #9 of 16 (7123 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Should I bring them or not?

Concrete board is all over Mazatlan. Look for Tabla Roca shops. Anywhere they sell drywall, you'll probably find concrete board.

simon

Aug 4, 2005, 12:18 PM

Post #10 of 16 (7113 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Should I bring them or not?

Can't Post |
At the time, I purchased it at Home Depot (Home Mart) in Queretaro (city). A bit expensive but they sell it in 4'x8' sheets as opposed to the 3x5 sheets generally found in the states. I thought about using drywall but thought the concrete board serves as a better base for the finish work.

Esteban

Aug 4, 2005, 2:07 PM

Post #11 of 16 (7097 views)

Shortcut

Re: [simon] Should I bring them or not?

For wet rooms ie kitchen and bath or whatever, you can't go wrong with concrete board.

Cynthia7

Aug 4, 2005, 5:42 PM

Post #12 of 16 (7082 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Should I bring them or not?

You can bring your jackhammer and modern tools but don't be surprised if they are not used as one might expect. I can't tell you how many times my friends have brought cement mixers, jackhammers,paint rollers.etc. Given them to men working on their job, graciously received and back to the cement on the ground and to their picks and scrubbing the paint in with a short bristle brush..It is one of those things ..you know your in Mexico when the jackhammer has a crucifix hung on it and the cement mixer has a flower planted in it and the paint roller is used some way in the construction of the chiminea. Another thing is that jackhammer will do the job quickly and easily and what would Juan's brother and nephew do.

Judy in Ags

Sep 9, 2005, 9:56 AM

Post #13 of 16 (6979 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] Should I bring them or not?

I think whether or not the tools you bring are used depends on who you're teaching them to use them. Our albanil has learned really appreciated the tile cutter, another large concrete cutter and some other tools. He really took to the aparatus for blowing ceiling and walls (for "knock-down" effect). We're really glad, because the walls and ceilings look great.

Carron

Sep 9, 2005, 11:01 AM

Post #14 of 16 (6973 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Should I bring them or not?

We are currently working on an 80-acre ranch south of town, where we hope to move next spring. There is a 3-acre or so fenced and landscaped living compound. Since no one has actually lived there for over a decade, the place is overgrown with weeds and small mesquite trees. We hired 2 young hands from the neighoring ranch to work one weekend on the clearing process. My son, who owns a landscape/lawn maintenance business in Houston, gave us a professional quality gas weed eater for the job.

Although the hands knew how it worked, the string kept breaking off and putting on new string took forever. They had brought with them their own machetes, axes, sling blades, sharpening file, and leather gloves. With the old tools, they did the job very quickly and very well (also very cheaply). It was like watching a ballet.

Esteban

Sep 9, 2005, 12:09 PM

Post #15 of 16 (6966 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] Should I bring them or not?

Sounds like you had the wrong tool for the job. You needed what looks like a weed eater but on the end, is a brush blade. If you still need work done, like this, ask your son about it.

Carron

Sep 9, 2005, 3:19 PM

Post #16 of 16 (6956 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Should I bring them or not?

Yes, we have that one, too. Actually we can fit the heavy-duty string or the blade on the same machine. Trouble is there are lots of rocks hidden beneath the tall grass and they will break the blade as well. Now that the job has been done for the first time in many years, however, it should be much easier to cut next time. We can now see to remove the rocks and tons of large, rusty metal scraps that were just dropped everywhere. We wonder what on earth former tenants did there! One thing I miss living in Mexico is that there doesn't seem to be a heavy trash pickup and disposal system, so everyone just lets old worn out things lay where they died!!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4