Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Jean

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 17 (5843 views)

Shortcut

Typhoid &; Salmonella

Can't Post |
I have just had two friends diagnosed with typhoid. One of them even had two different strains of it. As I have not been feeling up to par lately I too am going to be tested.<p>Statistics are not kept here, that I know of, and I was wondering if anyone else out there has had typhoid or salmonella recently (last 3 months) or knows anyone who has. I have had salmonella twice in the two years I have been here and sure don't want to go through it again, but it seems that each hot season I pick it up somewhere.<p>I know there are typhoid shots here, but as there are over 30 different strains of typhoid I don't know if the shots cover every strain.<p>I would really appreciate any information others might have gathered. <p>I can be emailed privately by removing the x in my email address. (Done to prevent the barage of spam I get.)

Uncle Donnie

Post #2 of 17 (5835 views)

Shortcut

Typhoid &;; Salmonella

Can't Post |
Hi Jean,<p>A couple of years back I stopped by one of the local clinics that caters to gringos and was diagnosed with typhoid and mono. After several days of expensive lab testing and not feeling any better, I went to the doctor in Chapala. His diagnosis was stomach parasites, he sent me to the lab down the street for verification, gave me meds, and viola!,cured!. It pays to shop around, especially if your doctor owns the lab and also advertises that s/he sells typhoid shots.<p>Just a thought.

Jean

Post #3 of 17 (5834 views)

Shortcut

Typhoid &;;; Salmonella

Can't Post |
Thanks for the info. My lab results came back negative today for typhoid and salmonella. I do the anti parisite thing every six months.<p>My friend though who has typhoid is really sick. It's been six days now and she can not keep anything down. Doc made a house call today, gave her an anti nausea shot and said if she tosses the cookies one more time she is going to the hospital as she is getting really dehydrated. Like me she also does the parasite thing every six months.<p>Her partner, has two strains of typhoid and he is still up and walking around. Upset stomach and headaches, tired etc. His symptoms are going away as his meds have been staying down.<p>I agree about shopping around. Especially as you say they have a vested interest in you getting a typhoid shot. <p>It's amazing how easy you can pick something up though. I never even thought about ceasar salads...the dressing is made with raw eggs. A huge no no. Also, she had been buying home made yogurt at the tiangis. Another huge no no. <p>After two bouts of salmonella in two years here I am a lot more careful now...but it only takes one mistake :)

Uncle Donnie

Post #4 of 17 (5833 views)

Shortcut

Did you read the

Can't Post |

recent article in the Guad Reporter about how the restaurant salsas can be potentially dangerous?<p>My dr. says she and her hubby (also a dr.) take their own when dining out.<p>I also wonder how many assorted germs we pick up from all the strays we pet during the course of a normal day?

Jean

Post #5 of 17 (5833 views)

Shortcut

Did you read the

Can't Post |
Yes I did read that article. Scary.<p>In all my time working with the animals the only thing I picked up was mange and that was easily cured with a special shampoo/body wash. <p>People have emailed me with horror stories about their bouts with typhoid and salmonella and the number of friends who have had it. <p>I don't suppose there is any health department here that keeps data on it, but I know this has been a bad year for it and I am not sure why. Maybe we have a typhoid Mary out there :)

Uncle Jack

Post #6 of 17 (5834 views)

Shortcut

See if this works

Can't Post |
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/typhoidfever_g.htm

Jim Bentein

Post #7 of 17 (5836 views)

Shortcut

Beware!

Can't Post |
My wife and I have lived in Mexico for going on four years now (first 2 1/1 in Chapala and now in Mazatlan) and we've learned - the hard way- to be very cautious about what we eat and where. A couple of years ago I ended up getting E-Coli, of all things, after eating in a street-food-type restaurant in Manzanillo. It took weeks to get rid of it, thanks to drugs prescribed by Brian Jones, the Canadian doctor who practices in the Lakeside. For the past several weeks my wife has been fighting off various parasites and now seems to be winning the battle. We had been eating once/twice a week at a local street food place, which I blame for her ailment (but can't prove). I have't read the Guad Reporter story, but I know there was a story in one of the U.S. newspapers awhile ago which basically said most of the dips restaurants in Mexico use are full of various contaminants, thanks to lack of adequate refrigeration. Dr. Jones told a friend that when he practiced in a pueblito, before moving to the Lakeside, he found virtually everyone in the place had serious intestional problems. So cast aside that myth that 'it's different for the Mexicans' - they get sick on the food too. I love this country, but the bottom line is we all have to be very careful about what we eat and where. Shrimp (a bottom feeder) can be deadly. We live in Mazatlan, where it's relatively cheap and plentiful and we've stopped eating it at restaurants (we can properly clean them at home). And those corn chips they serve in restaurants are tempting, but don't dip - or you could be sorry. If your food is well cooked, in a restaurant with good sanitation practices, you should be fine. And avoid street food - like the plague.

Marlene

Post #8 of 17 (5839 views)

Shortcut

Beware!

Can't Post |
Jim - Which street food place have you been eating at? That might be good for us to know.
I was really sick 2 weeks ago, and couldn't pin it to anything. Family and friends that ate the same food at home were fine. That was the first time since I have lived in Mexico it has happened. My Mexican friends say that summers here in steamy hot Mazatlan can bring on all kinds of "stomach critters", and medication is necessary perhaps once a year. But like I said, this was my first problem. I don't eat at the school cafeteria anymore, and instead pack a lunch, just in case. They keep the pop and water in the fridge, but the sandwiches and torta's sit on the counter until someone buys them. None of the other teachers were sick though, so who knows? Guess it was my turn.
Marlene.

Jim Bentein

Post #9 of 17 (5833 views)

Shortcut

Beware!

Can't Post |
We have eaten often at a place we both trusted, the one just down from Panama Bakery (the one near the Plaza). I don't know the name but it's run by the folks there who own a little store. Nice people and the food has always been good. But what I've read lately makes me very cautious about "street food". God, I hope that doesn't mean I can't eat street potatoes anymore?

Jean

Post #10 of 17 (5835 views)

Shortcut

Dr. Brian Jones

Can't Post |
Unfortunately Dr. Brian went back to Canada. He is now studying theology at Western, will write his Ontario boards next year and is also going to go back to teaching.<p>He is really missed here. He was one doctor I trusted.

Peggy

Post #11 of 17 (5834 views)

Shortcut

Dr. Brian Jones

Can't Post |
We all miss Dr. Brian but fully understand why he chose to leave. As Jim says, they can't make a decent living here. He was the most compassionate, kind and knowledgeable doctor -- he will really be missed. If you're in touch with him, Jean, please keep us informed. Thanks.

Jim Bentein

Post #12 of 17 (5835 views)

Shortcut

Dr. Brian Jones

Can't Post |
Sorry to hear that. I felt the same way about Brian. However, as you know, it's tough to make a decent living in Mexico, even for talented people like Brian. He's an amazing guy, having studied and practiced medicine at an age when most people are planning retirement (at least most teachers), and also having the mind to study theology. A true Renaissance kind of guy.

Mike

Post #13 of 17 (5832 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Uncle Jack, I didn't know how to do the link thing

Can't Post |
nfm

Mike

Post #14 of 17 (5833 views)

Shortcut

Sorry all - Here's the Typhoid link

Can't Post |
Tried this once before and it didn't work. If the link does not appear, please e-mail me and I'll send it separately.<p>http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/typhoidfever_g.htm

Chris Bublin

Post #15 of 17 (5831 views)

Shortcut

message for Mike

Can't Post |
Mike,
You didn't leave an e-mail address. Can you send me the link so I can post it on my web site? Thanks
Chris

Mike

Post #16 of 17 (5832 views)

Shortcut

Typhoid &;; Salmonella

Can't Post |
Oops the link didn't come through. I'll send it separately.

Mike

Post #17 of 17 (5831 views)

Shortcut

Typhoid &;; Salmonella

Can't Post |
Jean - Visit the following link for more info on Typhoid and treatment/prevention. Lots of info that should help.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4