Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Esteban

May 12, 2004, 9:01 AM

Post #1 of 13 (1757 views)

Shortcut

It was a quickie for breakfast today, May 12

Can't Post | Private Reply
I poached up some Dorado with a brush of mustard and mayo on top plus some onions with salt and pepper. Chopped up some papaya...squeeze of lime...garlic toast..all done in less than thirty minutes...included is a photo of the meal.
Attachments: Food.jpg (162 KB)

jennifer rose

May 12, 2004, 8:50 PM

Post #2 of 13 (1726 views)

Shortcut

Dorado and other fish

Can't Post |
What's dorado selling for in Mazatlan? Going rates for other fresh fish? In your opinion, what's the best fish for the money where you live? (Yeah, I know that's like asking "What's a reasonably good color?")

Esteban

May 12, 2004, 9:06 PM

Post #3 of 13 (1724 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Dorado and other fish

We'd been buying Salmon for the last month (72 pesos a kilo) and then on the way to the golden zone last week, we stopped at a fish market and picked up about 3 lbs. of Dorado for 75 pesos a kilo. That's been vacuumed packed and so we haven't been back. It's been running as high as 90 pesos a kilo. There was a big pargo...like about 6 to 8 lbs and the whole fish was going for 40 pesos a kilo but I figure in boneless filets I'm going to lose about 1/2. One of these mornings, I'll have to get up early and go to a VERY special fish market and look for some Bonita. A 4 to 6 lb. Bonita goes for about $2.00 USD for the whole fish. I pay 10 pesos extra to have it fileted MY way. It's considered a trash fish by many but a chef/friend from San Franscisco taught me a way to prepare it as sashimi. You may not believe how good it is and I had extreme doubts as to whether he could pull it off but he did and it's VERY tasty. More on the recipe later.

(This post was edited by Esteban on May 12, 2004, 9:09 PM)

Marlene

May 12, 2004, 9:36 PM

Post #4 of 13 (1715 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Dorado and other fish

I'm really bummed with all this great fishy talk because my hubby, who is the chef of the family, doesn't go out of his way to cook fish. I daren't complain or I could have one more project on my daily plate! But I have to tell you, when he passes by the "Shrimp Ladies" what can I say? Esteban knows these gals and how GOOD they are, verdad? Only in Mazatlān! Enjoy.

ms mac

May 13, 2004, 5:57 AM

Post #5 of 13 (1701 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Dorado and other fish

We got to know the shrimp ladies very well when we were in Mazatlan. Now I'm salivating just thinking about it.
ms mac

Esteban

May 13, 2004, 6:30 AM

Post #6 of 13 (1699 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Dorado and other fish

If your husband doesn't cook much fish, it may be because he's not familiar with poaching. It's a quick and easy way to cook fish without the hassle and detriment to your health compared to frying. With a few spices and a little water, you can cook a thick pieces of Dorado in less than 5 minutes.

Actually, I don't eat that much shrimp as the price runs from about 80 pesos to 150 pesos a kilo and I can't just eat one shrimp. The shrimp ladies also sell 1/2 kilos of pure crab meat for 50 pesos. That's a deal! The bags of cooked octopus they sell are good if you use it quickly. My favorite dish is Garlic Octopus. I can't remember the price but it's not expensive. They also sell Callos de Acha...spendy little critters at 200 pesos a kilo and Langostina at around 150 pesos a kilo....way out of line in terms of price when you look at the size. The locals have been trapping smaller and smaller lobster every year and like the problems most fisheries face throughout the world, lobsters will probably be an endangered species in this part of Mexico.

(This post was edited by Esteban on May 13, 2004, 6:33 AM)

Ed and Fran

May 24, 2004, 6:10 AM

Post #7 of 13 (1669 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Dorado and other fish

Esteban, you said "...it may be because he's not familiar with poaching. It's a quick and easy way to cook fish without the hassle and detriment to your health compared to frying. "

Could you take a moment and give fish poaching instructions/tips to someone who's never poached anything more challenging than an egg? Do you boil the water first? How do you tell when the fish is done? Better using filets? Or would it work with posta also?

We're trying to increase our intake of fish, and up to now we only fry or bake in foil. Poaching sounds like another route.

Thanks

E&F

jennifer rose

May 24, 2004, 6:58 AM

Post #8 of 13 (1665 views)

Shortcut

Poach v. Grill

Can't Post |
I, too, am waiting for Esteban's poaching instructions.

Meanwhile, why not add grilling to your repertoir? It's so easy, and moreover, there's no pan to wash. (All right, washing the grill grates is another matter, or you can simply blast away the dirt with the preheat mode.) It's a simple matter to grill several days' worth of food or a single meal. And it keeps the heat out of the kitchen.

Esteban

May 24, 2004, 10:15 AM

Post #9 of 13 (1655 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Poach v. Grill

Maybe I should have used the word "steam", I'm not sure. I use a big cast iron skillet. I use olive oil to sautee a few spices then I add about 1/4 inch of water. Sometimes I put spices on top of the fish. When the water starts to boil I put the fish into the pan with the spice/oil mixture, I cover and cook till done. Usually a couple of pieces of Dorado... around 2" thick will cook in less than 10 minutes.

(This post was edited by Esteban on May 24, 2004, 10:17 AM)

Ed and Fran

May 24, 2004, 11:35 AM

Post #10 of 13 (1648 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Poach v. Grill

E - Thanks, will try that method (without the cast iron skillet). Also without the Dorado since it's not that common over here. I'm sure I can sub something else and make it work out.

JR - I'm just getting familiar with the new gas grille and haven't been adventurous enough to try to grille fish on it although I have done so (wrapped in foil) in the past. As the heat continues to climb around here I'll probably do more (although it's hot out in the patio too).

Thanks to both

E&F

Texwheel

Jun 1, 2004, 10:02 AM

Post #11 of 13 (1615 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Poach v. Grill

I have grilled salmon a lot. It's pretty simple. Pre heat the grill, not too hot...I use one of those insert grills on the main grill...the kind that is flat metal with small holes in it. It's easier to handle fish which tends to flake, unlike steak or chicken. I spray Pam on the grill to assure non-stick, rub the salmon with a little olive oil, sprinkle on seasoning, a la' Cajun or Old Bay, and on the grill it goes. a few minutes each side and it's like heaven. Two great "dips" for the salmon I've discovered are honey mustard and chipotle rasberry sauce. To die for. And as Jennifer said, when I grill, I cook enough to munch on for several days. Like grilled chicken, I think it's better a day or two later, cold. A great salad topping.

I've cooked other fish this way, but I'm just too fond of salmon. It has a great natural flavor that is enhanced by grilling. And it is somewhat forgiving to a bit of over cooking, which I tend to do.

And Esteban, when you poach, did I understand you actually put the fish in the 1/4 inch of water, not suspend it above it as in a steamer or egg poacher? I want to try that.

Oh, one other thing. I'm sure you all know this, but some time ago I tried to please everyone at the same time by grilling meat along with fish...okay, okay, I am not a professional cook! Don't do it. It will ruin the fish, and maybe both.
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

Esteban

Jun 1, 2004, 11:49 AM

Post #12 of 13 (1613 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Texwheel] Poach v. Grill

Yea, I dump the salmon or whatever fish I'm cooking right into the 1/4" of water. Doesn't seem to hurt it. I like the idea of puttin it above the water and actually "steaming" it but I just haven't tried that yet. You know the old saying, when it ain't broke don't fix it.

Texwheel

Jun 1, 2004, 12:01 PM

Post #13 of 13 (1610 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Poach v. Grill

You are the champ!
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4