Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

cogan

May 8, 2004, 7:19 AM

Post #1 of 5 (11778 views)

Shortcut

Driving Directions

Can't Post | Private Reply
I need driving diections to the Rio Caliente Spa near Guadalajara from Ajijic, Jalisco.

Thanks. Cecilia Cogan

cogant@laguna.com.mx

NickP

May 8, 2004, 11:52 AM

Post #2 of 5 (11742 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cogan] Driving Directions

I went once or twice when I first arrived as a day trip but not to the actual spa's themselves. I/we loaded up the cooler full of food and bevies and then headed down too play in the Rio Caliente for the day.

To get there, you follow the signs for Tequila/Tepic along highway 15 heading west northwest. It's right on the outskirts off Guadalajara's city limits. (I remember seeing airplanes making there approach to the airport, but were still high enough not hear them).
The town if I recall where Rio Caliente is, is called La Primavera. The Kilometer marker to turn left off highway 15, I believe is 18 0r 21kms? (there are signs along Hi-way 15 that show a spa as you approch).
The road to the spa's is something to be desired and there is/was a 20 peso toll charge. Continue along the bumby dirt road until it forks. If you continue left it will bring you to the Public area of the river and if you follow the signs bearing right that will lead you to the spa's.

The upside to visiting the rio was the weird feeling of dipping my feet into a river that is as hot as a bath....being from Canada one usually gets a cramp in their foot even before they have dipped thier toe in a Canadian river.
The down side to the public part of Rio Caliente is the trash and graffiti.

soyalison

May 8, 2004, 12:05 PM

Post #3 of 5 (11734 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NickP] Driving Directions

I have been to Rio Caliente before. It has been a while, but I thought the Bosque was called Primavera and the town was called La Venta. Perhaps there is also a town called Primavera there, too. Alison

soyalison

May 8, 2004, 12:11 PM

Post #4 of 5 (11732 views)

Shortcut

Re: [soyalison] Driving Directions

woops! I just did a search and stand corrected, the town is called Primavera. Alison

PBGollaz

May 8, 2004, 7:32 PM

Post #5 of 5 (11674 views)

Shortcut

Re: [soyalison] Driving Directions

Alison,

You came close to being right on both counts! You pass through the town of La Venta (in full, La Venta del Astillero) on MX-15 just before you reach La Primavera, which is the name of both the town and the forest. The 20 peso charge is for entering the forest area (which is actually a national forest preserve).

Rio Caliente is one of at least two (and maybe more) hot spring spas in the town of La Primavera.

Patrick
Zapopan, Jalisco, México

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4