Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

talosian

May 6, 2004, 7:37 PM

Post #1 of 3 (2123 views)

Shortcut

*have* searched prior posts for this one

Can't Post | Private Reply
and maybe I missed it so I have a question and am asking for suggestions.

I bought my house just outside Chapala and I'm coming from California.

The things I truly want to bring with me won't fit in a car for my one-time duty free import. Is there any way at all to get a vehicle into Mexico which isn't registered to me (not a rental)? And I did read the post about "If I had it to do again" about shipping personal items to Lakeside, but I just can't leave everything and buy new since some things can't be replaced.

Would it pay me to buy a pick up truck and drive it from California?

I looked into shipping and it seems very expensive for the amount of stuff I want to bring, which isn't much but more than will fit in a car.

I have a 4,000W gas generator (perfect condition) which weight about 125#. I think this would be nice to have as a back up. Is it worth bringing (won't sell for much here)?

Finally (for now), if I have to bite the bullet and do door-to-door, where can I get the best price quote?

Any other suggestions solicited and appreciated.

Thanks.

Spock.
"When all logical explanations have failed, we must look to the illogical for the answer.

johanson

May 6, 2004, 8:10 PM

Post #2 of 3 (2112 views)

Shortcut

Re: [talosian] *have* searched prior posts for this one

Very few folks have electrical generators in my area of Ajijic, because the power doesn't go out very often nor for very long. Now I have one that I got at Costco 4 months ago. And yes the power has been out a couple of times, but not for much more than a few seconds.

My friends when discovering that I had a generator suggested that I made a rather foolish purchase, They reminded me that less than 1% of my neighbors have one

But you do not live in Ajijic. Maybe in your area there are more power outages. If you've got room, why not bring it down; you and I might become very popular should their be a power outage.

johnv

May 7, 2004, 9:20 PM

Post #3 of 3 (2049 views)

Shortcut

Re: [talosian] *have* searched prior posts for this one

In the city of Guanjuato, power outages, during the rainy season, and in my particular neihborhood, are frequent, and have varied from 1 minute to 17 hours.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4