Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

culberto

Apr 29, 2004, 11:39 PM

Post #1 of 9 (13660 views)

Shortcut

Living in Aijijic for $1,000. a month

Can't Post | Private Reply
Sorry, the text was lost in the last try. The post from joshjay on 4-16-04 caught my

interest. While I am a 63 year old widow, my health is excellent and I would like to

move to Mexico some day. My research is in about the third year now and while I enjoyed

Don Adams' book, I found that I knew most of the material. I will learn Spanish in the

next two years and perhaps make the move someday.

My impression has been that $1,000. a month was not doable but joshjay's post reflected

otherwise.

I can live a simple spartan life as long as I don't have to work.

Perhaps joshjay can give me some enlightenment.

Phyllis
Culberto

mkdutch

Apr 30, 2004, 12:16 PM

Post #2 of 9 (13592 views)

Shortcut

Re: [culberto] Living in Aijijic for $1,000. a month

Amazing!...after 5 + years of research and another 5 of living part-time Lakeside, I still found a lot of info that was new to me in Unka D's monumental tome. Guess I must be a slow study...=^..^=.

But I hope cost of living is not the only reason you are considering a move to Mexico. The people, culture and historical treasures will, I hope, be of more value to you. That you are learning the language will serve you well and ease your acceptance by the community, as well as help you better get around to see all there is to see. Buena Suerte.

Miguelito

Apr 30, 2004, 12:44 PM

Post #3 of 9 (13582 views)

Shortcut

Hi Phyllis: Come on down, the water's fine. I live in San Miguel, 62-yo, and have a friend struggling to live on $750 a month but she's managing; her priorities will be different from most, probably, but it's still doable. Regards, Miguelito

Los que cantan oran dos veces! (Those who sing pray twice!)

culberto

Apr 30, 2004, 8:49 PM

Post #4 of 9 (13512 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkdutch] Living in Aijijic for $1,000. a month

Dear Butch:

If you were offended about my remark about Mr. Adams' book, I am sorry. His book is excellent and I would recommend it to all who wish to read it. The remark I made was to define myself to the readers.
I have most of the techinical details of moving to Mexico down but I just wanted to know if it was possible to live there for $1,000.00 USD a month.

If you are enjoying an altrustic experience living in Mexico, I am happy for you but the financial needs to be taken care of first.

And oh year, I am a quick study.

Culberto
Culberto

culberto

Apr 30, 2004, 9:04 PM

Post #5 of 9 (13507 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Miguelito] Living in Aijijic for $1,000. a month

Dear Miguelito,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. This is just the information I need. I really don't need a large
house with facilities to entertain because that is not my thing. I just want the opportunity to read, study,
examine and experience life differently.

This kind of change could bring experiences that I
will really enjoy as well as hard times to overcome
and I am good at the later through ojt.

Thanks again,

Culberto
Culberto

Georgia

May 1, 2004, 8:20 AM

Post #6 of 9 (13459 views)

Shortcut

I can not comment on living right in Ajijic for that amount ... but out a little further along the lake, it is entirely possible to find rentals suitable for one person for $300/mo. often including utilities. And, yes, there are tile floors, not dirt, and indoor plumbing, to boot. I am not talking abut substandard housing. Assuming you are in good health and don't plan to travel extensively, your regular monthly allowance of $1000 should be very adequate. This assumes a nest egg for emergencies, whether for health, automobile repairs, or emergency travel. Food (not the imported variety) is very reasonable, public transportation is cheap and excellent, and, if your friends and family are content to communicate with you via e-mail rather than long distance phone calls (unless they initiate them, of course!) you should do fine.

I find that clothing and linens (purchased at end of season, clearance sales) is considerably cheaper in the US ... so stock up before you come! Gasoline is now about the same as in many parts of the US ... expensive, but you may find that you are driving much less if you are just now retiring and no longer commuting. Casual clothing, by the way, is the everyday norm Lakeside.

Obviously, your own personal lifestyle choices and preferences will determine whether you can do it, but, a very decent, comfortable life can be lived on that amount at the present time.

Uncle Donnie

May 2, 2004, 10:37 AM

Post #7 of 9 (13354 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Living in Aijijic for $1,000. a month

Can't Post |
Hi Culberto,

Living down here on a grand a month is very doable but please allow me to second Georgia's advice about setting back a bit in reserve. Accidents and medical problems do arise unexpectedly and you need to allow for them.

I see rental ads for Jocotepec housing for both houses and apartments ranging from $250 a month on up. I looked at a great 4 BR, 2 B with a big terrace and workshop (it was set up for making cheese and as a butcher shop with a walk-in freezer) and an outdoor wet bar and half bath. It had a walled in pasture area with loafing sheds, a six stall stable, and water piped in. All for $450. The fly in the ointment? The owner wanted to build an apartment over the shop and live on the premises.

Once you get here just check in to a hotel or B&B and start checking the bulletin boards at El Torito, Superlake, Dona's, etc. And look in the paper.

As for sheets and towels---I think it all balances out; the extra cost vs. the inconvenience of toting stuff down (unless you're driving) evens out. Reasonable quality stuff can usually be found in Guad.

Buy groceries from the small local stores---fresh and healthy---and watch where you dine out and things should be a bit less than where you are now. Things that add up in a hurry are your ISP, cable or satellite TV, gringo groceries, MBE (if you choose that service), magazines and newspapers (most are premium priced), LD calls, and gas for your car. Can anyone add to this list?

You'll find social activities that won't cost much; volunteer work, various groups and organizations designed for socializing, churches, and visits and small parties with the friends you'll quickly make. You may be busier than you want to be. And if you live in a working class neighborhood you may get adopted if you try to integrate into the area. And there's always the course your Mexican neighbors take: sitting on the plaza in the evenings.

Stop worrying, you'll do fine. Just keep enough money to return to wherever you come here from in case you really don't like it down here.

Shameless self-promotion:
http://www.headformexico.com

Georgia

May 2, 2004, 11:00 AM

Post #8 of 9 (13346 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Donnie] Internet costs

I should have added that internet cafes are more the norm here than in the US and you can get online a couple of times a week more cheaply than you can buy a computer and subscribe to a service. Another way of economizing and getting out in the community at the same time!

culberto

May 3, 2004, 11:16 AM

Post #9 of 9 (13234 views)

Shortcut

Georgia, Uncle Donnie, Miguelito, joshjay:

Wow, what a wonderful group of people. Thank you for the information and support.

This response is late because my son (yes, I have a 22 yo son) needed my desktop to build a web page for his communication course at UTSA.

San Antonio, TX is my home town so I have many Spanish Language opportunities.

I just need to pick a school and do it.

Georgia, I work in the Brylane call center taking orders for Chadwicks, Lane Bryant, Romans, Lerners, Brylane Home; all clothing and linen catalogues. With my 30% employee discount, Ill stock up while planning my move to Mexico.

The computer connection will be THE most important service for my happiness in Mexico. Not that I am a computer techie but I do enjoy the information computers provide and I love trying to figure out how the darn things work. TV is not really necessary.

Anyway, this is all a year or two away and women may all be wearing burkas by then.

Seriously, Im happy to be back in the planning stage for the move to Mexico due to the kind replies from you all.

Culberto
Culberto

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4