Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Ed

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 19 (5613 views)

Shortcut

Food From Street Vendors,Good Or Bad

Can't Post |
The chicken allways smells great,as does the other food cooked on the outdoor grills in the streets and the markets.Has anyone tried it,I will I think when I come again the first week of October.Just courious if you've ate from many street food vendors,ever gotten sick?

Judy King

Post #2 of 19 (5609 views)

Shortcut

Food From Street Vendors,Good Or Bad--Yep both

Can't Post |
I have had food poisoning a couple of times in my life, it is not a fun experience. The first time was at the Hotel Fort Dodge, in Fort Dodge Iowa during a 1960 Girl Scout convention! <p>BUT the second time was in Ajijic all right, guess what I ate--Dannon yogurt from my OWN refrigerator.<p>I have eaten for years from the street stands--but I use my "state fair" criteria (these things are important when you are from states like Iowa. . .) If the food is being prepared fresh, if the turnover is fast enough to prevent food from standing in the stall too long, if the people running the stand and their stand are both clean and neat I will give it a shot.<p>On the other hand, I am kinda careful about where and when I eat table salsas, chiles. . .I think probably more problems come from the condiments on the table than the food. AND I am more careful when I travel in another area of Mexico My doctor tells me I have adaptedto some of the bacteria here ,but when Itravel to another portion of mexico there are lots of new bugs that would like to cuddle up in my intestines. <p>As for those chickens...if it is around 1 and they have just finished cooking, have at em, they are tasty and make several good meals at a very low cost--AND don't miss the yummy pizza in the street market.<p>Whenever you have doubts about street food, just know that our favorite Uncle Donnie and his one-eyed wonder dog Pirata would starve clear to death without taco stands and chicken burners. Course, his digestive system is more forgiving than a junk yard dog. . .

RM

Post #3 of 19 (5607 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
In Chapala in the center square there are 2 people selling Chickens, we have bought many chickens from the place which is near the south end sold by the Redheaded lady. Good chicken and no problems. Not really a street vendor, but not a restaurant either.
In our experience, whether it's valid or not, if you eat someplace where a lot of the Gringos eat, you can't go wrong, for example the SUPER BURRITO in Ajijic. If they serve anything bad then it would spread by word of mouth PDQ and they would not have any more customers.
Just our observation.

Mr.Bill

Post #4 of 19 (5607 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I eat at 3 different "taco stands" from time to time around Ajijic and Chapala. I'm still here typing this!!! the knocking sound you just heard is me knocking on wood. BTW 4 tacos and a Pepsi and some onions...24 pesos!! good cheap eats.
I choose the busy places, so I know the food is fresh and clean. I also watch to see who handles the money, the places I frequent the person handles the money with there hand in a plastic bag.<p>And remember the bathrooms are not behind the stand!!<p>The real sport in road side dinning is the "looks" I get from both sides of the fence!!
Bonne Provecho

Hank Duckman

Post #5 of 19 (5605 views)

Shortcut

Cheap eats?

Can't Post |
24 pesos for 4 tacos, a pepsi and some onions...cheap eats?<p>In Morelia, that would cost +/- 14 pesos or less.<p>That's what the Gringos have done to the economy in Ajijic...driven it out of reach of Mexicans.<p>Saludos;<p>Hank

Mr.Bill

Post #6 of 19 (5605 views)

Shortcut

Cheap eats?

Can't Post |
I'm sure there's cheaper stands here! But I like to choose quality and quanity! I don't think a buck more is going to break my bank. So please I'm not here to compare!!

Jean

Post #7 of 19 (5607 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Unless you have "good" recommendations from people, then you just need to answer the question, are you willing to risk:<p>tourista
e-coli
typhoid
hep a
salmonella
parasites
amoebias<p>I have two friends sick with typhoid and they have never eaten at a street vendor. Imagine your odds if you do.<p>I have also had salmonella twice and never eaten at a street vendor.<p>You plays the game, you takes your chances.

keith

Post #8 of 19 (5605 views)

Shortcut

ergo?

Can't Post |
don't eat at street vendors and get slamonella or typhoid; eat at street vendors and . . . .I wonder where are you people eating---in restaurants that cater to tourists but don't have a lot of turnover? at home using tap water and not washing your hands after visiting the wc, or what?

Linda

Post #9 of 19 (5604 views)

Shortcut

ergo?

Can't Post |
It doesn't matter where you eat. . . my husband was hospitalized overnite after eating at home! We both ate the same thing and I was NOT affected. However, he was on an IV for 18 hours and antibiotics for more than 10 days! Who knows! But we do avoid taco stands even after living here for 11 years. Wherever the fly lights.

oracledba

Post #10 of 19 (5604 views)

Shortcut

ergo?

Can't Post |
One travel writer I recently read said the sickest he ever became from food was after a meal in, of all places, Prague.

Uncle Jack

Post #11 of 19 (5611 views)

Shortcut

Try Bucharest

Can't Post |
About thirty years ago while on an around the world press trip with President Nixon, I ate a huge delicious salad in the best hotel in Bucharest, Rumania. I got so sick that I could barely get off the plane at Andrews AFB. Spent the next 3 days in a hotel in D.C. XXXXing near died.

Abq

Post #12 of 19 (5603 views)

Shortcut

Was it Nixon or the food? sorry had to ask.

Can't Post |
I'm a card carrying Democrat.

William the Libertarian

Post #13 of 19 (5603 views)

Shortcut

Was it Nixon or the food? Sorry had to reply.

Can't Post |
It was Nixon and the McDonald´s donut shop next door where all the cops made sure the President got his share. Well, not his share according to Clinton´s day, but I quit both parties because of such stuff. Just gimme my gun, which they want to take away, my dogs, which they want to license, capture and kill, and my wife, who they want to take out of the kitchen, and I´m OK day to day. I´m Randy Weaver is disguise as a Mormon preacher. But don´t tell nobody.

Uncle Jack

Post #14 of 19 (5609 views)

Shortcut

Nixon was innocent

Can't Post |
Although it might be nice to blame Richard Nixon for this also, I think not. I never saw him in the kitchen nor did he serve any of the food and by July of 1969 most of us were pretty immune to Nixon anyway.<p>My point was it doesn't matter if you are eating ¨Elote¨ on a street corner in the village, roast chicken or tacos up on the Carreterra, or a fine meal in a 5 Star hotel in Europe, you can be exposed to unsanitary conditions anywhere. <p>Some may call it Montezuma's Revenge or The Tijuana Two-Step, but gastric disturbances and diarrhea know no political boundaries.

oracledba

Post #15 of 19 (5602 views)

Shortcut

Nixon was innocent

Can't Post |
At least roast chicken and elote are cooked, thus eliminating at least some of the germs. With a raw salad from an untrustworthy source, you're just looking for trouble.

Uncle Jack

Post #16 of 19 (5609 views)

Shortcut

Thanks, Oracle....I learned my lesson

Can't Post |
I have never been back to Bucharest and I swear that I shall never eat another salad in Eastern Europe.

Brent

Post #17 of 19 (5603 views)

Shortcut

ergo?

Can't Post |
I got very sick at a Micky D's and also an expensive Italian place in GDL. Never got sick in many years of "eating in the street". Like the man said, know the place, watch the traffic.

Rolly

Post #18 of 19 (5606 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Ed, there is a long discussion on this topic on the LWR forum. Down the page a couple of clicks. It starts with my post "Street Vendors."

mexican eater

Post #19 of 19 (5607 views)

Shortcut

Cheap eats?

Can't Post |
Im a mexican employee with a mexican salry and I dont really think that you can have lunch by any chance for less than $25.00 in the street, I wouldnt tak a taco that cost less than $4.00 each... I wonder what kind of meat they are giving me.
BTW I live in ajijic and I lived my whole life in Guadalajara before and I found out tht this small town is really cheap compared to the "big city"..
Thanks

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4