Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

John Gonzalez

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 18 (8109 views)

Shortcut

cost of living

Can't Post |
Greetings,
I would like to know if $700 USD would cover food & utilities for a family of 4.
Thank You

Don

Post #2 of 18 (8087 views)

Shortcut

Comprehension and Communication seems

Can't Post |
to be your problem. No where did the gentleman ask if his family of 4 could live in Mexico on $700.00 U.S. per month. He asked if that could cover the cost of food and utilities. Second, you said you could if you would like to live like a Mexican family. That is a racist statement. You will find lower income families all over the world barely getting by and believe me when I say, they are not ALL Mexican. To make your point, you didn't have to use the word Mexican. You could have just said live like a lower income family. It might be difficult for you to understand, but you will find those families are Canadians, U.S. citizens, Germans, English and so on.

Loco

Post #3 of 18 (8086 views)

Shortcut

Yer all (we're all) guilty

Can't Post |
I swear everyone here is so anxious to make a point ... they ignore half of the other persons. I can't refer directly to anything here since some MAD typist will just not get it ... or chooses not to. Just relax and read a little ... OK?<p>Mexican are Mexicans ... no?<p>

Bill to Loco

Post #4 of 18 (8082 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Todos somos locos. Son los quien sabe son los quien la babidura. Viva Mexico. Vila America. Cuba Libre. Y los demas, con esepcio´n de ese idiota Saddam. I have both been drinking and I, too, am loco. I couldn´t made sense of things otherwise. I´m of starging a "mental health facilit" (AKA nut house). I´ve had plenty of experience as a patient. I never had so much fun until I went crazy.

I beg your pardon

Post #5 of 18 (8085 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Are you OK? What was that? Are you drinking or what? Could you be A LOT more articulate with your response?

Bill

Post #6 of 18 (8082 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I think his post was poetic. And your answer banal.

Sylvester

Post #7 of 18 (8083 views)

Shortcut

Tanks tweety

Can't Post |
Could you be A LOT more articulate with your response as well !!

Bill Meadows

Post #8 of 18 (8083 views)

Shortcut

Tanks tweety BUT COMMUNICATE

Can't Post |
After eight years of college, I found it more effective to communicate than to merely articulate. One can articulate trash and communicate wisdom.

Bill Meadows

Post #9 of 18 (8080 views)

Shortcut

Tanks tweety BUT COMMUNICATE

Can't Post |
After eight years of college, I found it more effective to communicate than to merely articulate. One can articulate trash and communicate wisdom.

Don

Post #10 of 18 (8090 views)

Shortcut

cost of living

Can't Post |
Steve:
Maybe you would like to further explain your statement below. It is based on racism and non fact. You lump ALL Mexicans in one package. Maybe all gringos should be lumped into the category of "street people" up north. That would follow your reasoning.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++<p>You can live on $700 per month living like a
Mexican family, eating like one, without a car,
without private school, etc. The question is, as
a gringo, is that living? <p>

Jean

Post #11 of 18 (8083 views)

Shortcut

I agree

Can't Post |
This kind of generalization has to stop. It's like saying you can live in Canada on $700 US a month if you want to live like a Canadian???<p>What does living like a Mexican mean. <p>I don't think he realized how biased that is and I don't think he meant any harm to anyone, but we all have to learn to stop the generalizations.

Observer

Post #12 of 18 (8083 views)

Shortcut

Also Agree

Can't Post |
What about those Guadalajara malls like Gran Plaza which are jammed with Mexicans spending
money. These are the same malls that most Lakeside gringos rarely shop at because they can not afford to. Now, how do THESE Mexicans fit the stereotyped view? Or THESE gringos?

Don

Post #13 of 18 (8099 views)

Shortcut

cost of living

Can't Post |
John, it depends on where you live. I would say, that where I live in Jalisco, $700.00 U.S. could provide food and utility costs for a family of 4.

Rolly

Post #14 of 18 (8096 views)

Shortcut

cost of living

Can't Post |
:I would like to know if $700 USD would cover food & utilities for a family of 4.<p>Yes. You will have other expenses, but food and utilities can be covered easily for US$700/mo.<p>For a list of the cost of common items, click below.

Bill

Post #15 of 18 (8089 views)

Shortcut

cost of living

Can't Post |
All I have is a $1300 U.S. Disabiiity sheck. I have a credit cars as backgup to me to the U.S. where medicicare. <it´s a scary situation but I cafford to live in Souhthern Calaformia. I quit trying to work it out so I just go whith what works day to day. I me a fool but I´m happier.

Steve

Post #16 of 18 (8097 views)

Shortcut

cost of living

Can't Post |
Everone will tell you exactly the same thing. It
all depends upon you. You say food and utilities.
With 4 people, I assume you have kids. With kids,
you have school costs. You also have to consider
insurance, automobile expenses (gas is 2.35 per
gallon), etc. My phone bills run $300 per
month and gas and electric are probably another
$150.00. We have 3 and spend about $250 per week
for food and help.
You can live on $700 per month living like a
Mexican family, eating like one, without a car,
without private school, etc. The question is, as
a gringo, is that living?

Mike

Post #17 of 18 (8088 views)

Shortcut

cost of living $300 phone bill sounds kind of high

Can't Post |
Your phone bill is $300 USD per month? Why so high?

Steve

Post #18 of 18 (8088 views)

Shortcut

cost of living $300 phone bill sounds kind of high &; racism

Can't Post |
My wife likes to talk on the phone. When you live outside of the Ajijic calling area, everything is long distance and the bills add up.
As far as being a racist, some of you people think that everyone who comments on the natives as opposed to the gringos, is a racist. When you live like a Mexican, you live like the typical Mexican family which struggles along on a minimum wage, has limited health care, no safety net, etc. These are not the people at Grand Plaza or the other malls in Guad. These are the people you see everyday on the street walking or riding their bikes. (Don't kid youself, though, some of them are land rich).
As far as that man with his $700 per month family of four. How does he pay for medical care? If his kids don't speak Spanish, do you think the crowded local school can handle them? Etc. Etc. For you to encourage him to come here is foolish,
unless, of course, you want to contribute to his family income. Even with permission to work, there is probably very little economic opportunity for anyone here, much less a gringo.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4