Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

In_Dallas slynnmc@earthlink.net

Apr 17, 2004, 10:26 AM

Post #1 of 11 (4193 views)

Shortcut

Good place for neophyte to stay awhile and take Spanish courses?

Can't Post |
Any recommendations for someone new to Mexico who would like to take Spanish immersion courses and relax in a friendly atmosphere (in order to get my feet wet, so to speak)?

I am a woman and will be traveling alone with my pet. I am trying to get away from it all for awhile, and although I would like to experience real Mexico, I am so new I think I may need "starter" recommendations, but not necessarily "tourist" recommendations.

Thanks so much!

Miguelito

Apr 18, 2004, 5:59 AM

Post #2 of 11 (4102 views)

Shortcut

Re: [In_Dallas] Good place for neophyte to stay awhile and take Spanish courses?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have found that taking an immersion course generates a whole lot of stress and frustration unless you've a lot of experience with the language. I have classes from 8:30 a.m. to 6:15 p.m. (2 hours off for comida), 4-1/2 days a week. Friday p.m. is free. If I didn't have English speaking friends for relief I'm not sure I'd complete the course. Living in San Miguel de Allende, with its huge English speaking population, helps a lot. After 2 weeks of the course, however, I can see huge progress in spite of temporary setbacks. Miguelito

Los que cantan oran dos veces! (Those who sing pray twice!)

wendy devlin

Apr 18, 2004, 7:25 AM

Post #3 of 11 (4088 views)

Shortcut

Re: [In_Dallas] Good place for neophyte to stay awhile and take Spanish courses?

For a short list of Spanish Language schools in Mexico, have a look at:

http://www.planeta.com/schoolist.html#Jalisco

I have known people who really enjoyed their stays and courses in Guanjuanto and Patzcuaro(smaller scenic colonial cities)

Cities like Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Cuernavaca have a greater choice in language schools but are bigger, busier cities.

Even small places like Barra de Navidad/MelaqueJalisico have a few Spanish classes especially in the winter.

These groups are likely to be small(under a dozen people) and have the advantage that it will instantly network you with others staying there at the same time. Small places work like that.

The more 'immersed' you are(less contact with English speakers) the more your new language skills will get to be practiced.

You choose;^) Buena suerte Wendy

Apr 21, 2004, 6:51 PM

Post #4 of 11 (4047 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Good place for neophyte to stay awhile and take Spanish courses?

Can't Post |
SO glad to see this. My daughter is thinking of an immersion course in Mexico after graduation from high school this spring. Last summer she spent two weeks living in Mexico with several girls from her spanish class, she loved it and wants to go back. She has had high school spanish but really needs conversational practice. Any recommendations or cautions?

TomG

Apr 24, 2004, 4:42 PM

Post #5 of 11 (3999 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Guest] Good place for neophyte to stay awhile and take Spanish courses?

I would lean toward Guanajuato because of it is big enough to very cultural and small enough to be manageable - perfect to encourage youthful idealism. Lots of music/theatre events weekly. It is a great place to make memories. Eva Cisneros is a conscious retired teacher who offers a immersion live-in situation that I would have trusted my daughter in at that age. Her husband is very active in his parish. They successfully raised a few daughters and now enjoy their grandchildren on frequent visits.

raferguson

Apr 24, 2004, 8:23 PM

Post #6 of 11 (3992 views)

Shortcut

I would suggest no more than two or four hours a day. From morning to night sounds too tough to me. I know when I had a tutor for Spanish, I was mentally fried after only one hour. That was when I already spoke quite a bit of Spanish, such that we rarely switched to English.

I should say that I have never done immersion classes, but am a long-term student of languages. Travel is a kind of immersion, of course, especially if you are making your own arrangements in Spanish. I think that if you learn it quickly you can forget it quickly, so if you go for a month of immersion and then return to a place where everyone speaks English and you do not focus on practicing spanish, you will lose most of what you learned.

I would suggest some classroom study before you go, just to give you a bit of a base to build on.

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

adelante

Apr 25, 2004, 7:54 AM

Post #7 of 11 (4028 views)

Shortcut

I have been a woman alone 4 times in Mex. Each time, going to a different city to language school. My favorite ( maybe because it was my first) was Oaxaca City. I connected right away with other students my age ( at the time late 40s) and had a blast! It's a beautiful place with a real native quality-- lots of folks speaking Zapoteca! The countryside is gorgeous. If you can stand heat, you can go the the coast to experience Puerto Escondito and Puerto Angel-- great towns. In fact, I think that I may br headed to Oaxaca again to school in August.

Another good experience, Guanajuato. It's a breathtakingly beautiful town-- European.

Happy travels,

ADE

An

mepsi

May 25, 2004, 8:46 AM

Post #8 of 11 (3366 views)

Shortcut

Re: [adelante] Good place for neophyte to stay awhile and take Spanish courses?

Can't Post |
Adelante, I agree with you on Oaxaca. I have studied Spanish in Oaxaca, Guanajuato and Puebla and would put Oaxaca as number one with Guanajuato as a very strong second. Also, in my opinion, Oaxaca provides the most diverse cultural experience available anywhere in Mexico.

As a place for a girl recently graduated from high school I think the people at Amigos del Sol in Oaxaca would be very nurturing and solicitous of her well being. My only problem with the course I took there was that I was quite a bit older than the other students. I did look at the other schools in the city and am still convinced they do the best job for the money. You can see their website at:

http://www.oaxacanews.com/amigosdelsol.htm

Monte

Guest pamelascheyer@yahoo.com

Jun 29, 2004, 12:28 PM

Post #9 of 11 (3101 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mepsi] Good place for neophyte to stay awhile and take Spanish courses?

Can't Post |
I, too want to go to Mexico to learn Spanish. I have searched the internet for a school and am very confused. Can you recommend a specific school. I have visited Monterrey 4 times in the last year on a mission trip and would love to find something there are nearby, but can't find anything. I'm not sure where Guanajuato and Puebla are located.
I also am wondering if most of the schools teach conversational spanish. It seems like many of them talk about grammer classes.
Any comments you have are appreciated.
Pamela

quevedo

Jun 29, 2004, 6:22 PM

Post #10 of 11 (3078 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Guest] Guanajuato and Puebla

Can't Post |
Guanajuato and Puebla are both located relatively close to Mexico City, in the center of the country. You may check a map at http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=mmfn.

Un saludo cordial,

Quevedo

jerezano

Jul 3, 2004, 7:49 PM

Post #11 of 11 (3014 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Guest] Good place for neophyte to stay awhile and take Spanish courses?

Hello,

The Seventh Day Adventist Spanish Language School at Linares near Monterrey is famous in the United States for Intensive courses in Medicine as well as Business. They have dormitory and residence facilites, but also some strange rules as no jewelry permitted nor radios nor tape recorders. Nevertheless the results are superb. Good luck. Jerezano.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4