Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Patsy

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 7 (2025 views)

Shortcut

The real Lake Chapala?

Can't Post |

My husband and I are active seniors, tired of Canadian winters, the decline in medical services, etc. When researching possible retirement locations we found this website but now we are wondering from the comments about the cost of living, typhoid, ecoli, parasites, etc. if this is the same Lake Chapala described in 'Choose Mexico', magazine articles, etc.??? Your comments would be appreciated.

Patsy

Post #2 of 7 (2016 views)

Shortcut

The real Lake Chapala?

Can't Post |

A very sincere 'Thank You' to all of you who have responded with such warmth and generosity of spirit. Your comments and suggestions have been really helpful - we are definitely going to take a look at Lakeside and if most folks there are like you, we know we will enjoy our visit.
Thank you all!

Hank

Post #3 of 7 (2017 views)

Shortcut

The real Lake Chapala?

Can't Post |
Plan a visit
It will be hard to rent if you dont stay for at least 4-6 months.<p>Look at property, find a realtor by word of mouth with local retirees.<p>Enjoy the weather and food then you decide.<p>I heard the CIA is a good place to socialize.<p>

Rolly

Post #4 of 7 (2017 views)

Shortcut

The real Lake Chapala?

Can't Post |
>now we are wondering from the comments about the cost of living, typhoid, ecoli, parasites, etc.<p>No place is without some faults and hassles. Sometimes when the ‘locals’ discuss their problems, they may sound much bigger than they really are to an outsider. The Lake area is a very nice place to retire, and these ‘worries’ are not really worth worrying about. Lucy offers good advice – come down for an extended visit and check it out for yourselves.<p>I did not choose the Lake for my retirement, and where I am only two other gringos have chosen to live. We are desert rats. For a view of my life on the desert of northern Mexico, click on the link below. It is a bit different from the Lake area, but I love it.<p>Good hunting…Rolly

Jean

Post #5 of 7 (2017 views)

Shortcut

The real Lake Chapala?

Can't Post |
Actually there has been a problem this year with typhoid. BUT...if you stay smart about where and what you eat, get typhoid shots, you should not have a problem. I have two friends that are just getting over typhoid. One of them even had two strains of it. They did not get shots, and we not as careful as they could have been in choosing places to eat and where they bought certain items.<p>The cost of living can be what you want it to be. It all depends on the lifestyle that you want. Rental housing is less expensive compared to some areas in Canada, and if you are willing to move more to the outskirts of Ajijic there can be a large savings.<p>We find our food costs are about equal to Canada. But we can not buy the same amount of US products that we did in Canada. BUT, fruit and vegatables are so inexpensive here compared to what they are in Canada. Imagine buying a cauliflower in the winter for 25 cents. In Canada it would cost $4-5.<p>As for ecoli...well that can happen anywhere. Look at what happened in Walkerton, Ontario. I believe 7 died from ecoli? If your careful about water and what you eat it is not a worry. Even in the US at the moment they are recalling meat because of ecoli. <p>Parasites? Well again, can happen anywhere. It is common here, but we simply use a medicine every six months that cleans things out. Don't think for a minute that you can't get parasites in Canada. You can and it's not that uncommon in some areas.<p>The main problem with this area is the lake. That is going to be an ongoing problem for at least the next 5 years as we wait to see if the Mexican government and other organizations can save it.<p>One problem we have here is allergies. This last year for some reason has been really hard on us for allergies. Of course it depends on what you are allergic to.<p>If you want to ask any other questions, use the email address above and take the x out of it. Trying to avoid the spam harvesters.

Lucy

Post #6 of 7 (2017 views)

Shortcut

The real Lake Chapala?

Can't Post |
This is the real one you found in Choose Mexico. Things are not always as you read about them but close. No major problems with typhoid, etc. Perhaps this winter would be a wonderful opportunity to plan on visiting for a few weeks. Read as much as possible, take a few Spanish lessons and give it a shot. Lots of Canadians have and are permanent residents.

Jim Bentein

Post #7 of 7 (2021 views)

Shortcut

The real Lake Chapala?

Can't Post |
I agree with most of the comments made by the previous posters. My wife and I lived in the Lakeside for over two years, before moving last summer to Mazatlan (which we love). The Lakeside offers an almost perfect climate (except it's a little too hot and dry for a couple of months in the spring and nighttime temperatures in the winter can get chilly). It also offers an excellent expat support network, with things like bridge clubs, active golf course members, good medical services, different church congregations etc. But, as the one poster wrote, the future of the lake is questionable. That's why I'd recommend that you look for good rental accomodation if you go to Chapala - you don't want the value of a real estate purchase subject to the future of a lake you have no control over. I would also add, incidentally, that I believe it's going to become far more economical for Canadian and American expats to retire to Mexico in the next little while. That's because the peso exchange rate will almost certainly fall significantly in the next few years. What that means, very simply, is your dollars will buy more here (much as those with U.S. dollars can buy more in Canada). I would also agree with the poster who said you should learn some Spanish (makes it much easier to function here).

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4