Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

bettyv

Apr 9, 2004, 5:20 AM

Post #1 of 6 (675 views)

Shortcut

Border Entrance

Can't Post | Private Reply
We'll be travelling by car to Ajijic maybe early as Sept. this year from NYC. What border crossing would be best? also best route to Ajijic. And what can we bring with us? OR what can we not take into MX. We're planning to stay awhile. All info greatly appreciated.

Georgia

Apr 9, 2004, 6:34 AM

Post #2 of 6 (656 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bettyv] Border Entrance

Search the posts on this forum. I believe all those questions have been answered. We brought our car in from NY over a year ago and followed directions from the Columbia Bridge (near Laredo) on to Lake Chapala. As for what stuff you can bring: also answered in prior posts. The search will answer all your questions!

Rolly

Apr 9, 2004, 7:34 AM

Post #3 of 6 (642 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bettyv] Border Entrance

What you cannot bring is pretty simple:

Guns and ammunition
Fresh food
Plants
Desktop computer (a laptop is allowed, duty free)

Some other items may be allowed with the payment of an import duty.

Personal items are duty free.

Rolly Pirate

Jean

Apr 9, 2004, 8:28 AM

Post #4 of 6 (629 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Border Entrance

From what I heard, starting January 1, 2004 all computers were to be allowed into Mexico with no tax if used.

This is what was posted last year:

Under the terms of NAFTA, existing restrictions on the import of used computer equipment will be lifted as of January 1, 2004.

Most consumers are probably looking forward to that time, but Rogelio Garza, who directs the National Chamber for the Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Industry (Cámara Nacional de la Industria Electrónica, Telecomunicaciones e Informática, Canieti), is calling for tighter regulations to be introduced to prevent the dumping of outdated technology.

Rolly if you have differing information I would really be interested in knowing. Would also be interested in knowing why the government went back on this.

This information was taken from Lloyds.
Retirement Communities
http://www.retirecommunities.com

Texwheel

Apr 9, 2004, 8:31 AM

Post #5 of 6 (626 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Border Entrance

Someone said on a post a few days ago that a desk top is now allowed due to a recent rules change. Don't know if that's correct, though.
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

Rolly

Apr 9, 2004, 11:54 AM

Post #6 of 6 (597 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Texwheel] Border Entrance

I don't know if it is correct, either. I have not been able to find any offical announcement that used desktops are being allowed in. New ones have always be allowed with about a 25% duty. Until I hear from someone who was allowed to bring a used one this year, or until I read an offical announcement, I will continue to assume that nothing has changed.

If anyone finds offical information, please post the URL.

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4