Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

adelante

Apr 1, 2004, 9:23 PM

Post #1 of 8 (3352 views)

Shortcut

language schools in oaxaca

Can't Post | Private Reply
does anyone know of a good language school in oaxaca city for those over 40? I want to spend 2 or three weeks this summer?

cristalhombre

Apr 2, 2004, 6:51 AM

Post #2 of 8 (3338 views)

Shortcut

Re: [adelante] language schools in oaxaca

My family attended the Instituto Cultural Oaxaca (they have a website) for 5 weeks Nov/Dec 2001. We all thought it was excellent! Wonderful old colonial setting right in the city center. They will arrange home stays with Mexican families that will further your language skills. (recommended). Language immersion classes are from 9-1, 2-4 optional cultural immersion (art, cooking (I learned to make tamales), touring, Mexican history) and that is followed by 'inter-cambio' (also optional) where they will pair you with a local person wanting to learn English from 4 to 5pm. Great support people! Many of the instructors are university students (very bright and vibrant group) and loads of FUN!!! They were absolutely great with my 10 year daughter, no surprise she was almost fluent near the end.......Mom and Dad still struggle.

I really can not report ANY down side, other than I think they are probably more expensive than some of the other schools we saw. But this is like comparing a full service hotel vs. a budget motel.

Oh yes! The people you will meet (non-Mexicans) are amazing too! We still have distant friends from this experience. It hosts a very rich community and is multi-generational from all over the globe. My wife (approaching 50) was frequently going to the salsa clubs with some other 20 something gals for a night of entertainment! Anyway it is very inclusive and a rewarding experience. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my experience in Oaxaca was my best vacation experience EVER!!!!!!!! It also created the trail for me to buy a house in Mexico and last year I made 5 trips South. Enjoyed each one.

Great restaurants all around you and the zocalo just a 1/2 mile and easy walk to the South.

I'm still working on my Spanish here at home. No doubt the immersion programs are THE WAY to learn!

Bueno suerte!

Brad in Vancouver, WA

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

mepsi

Apr 2, 2004, 7:28 AM

Post #3 of 8 (3331 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I attended Amigos del Sol

http://www.oaxacanews.com/amigosdelsol.htm

about three years ago and was extremely satisfied. Their prices were, at that time, the best in town and I found them to be extremely flexible. The also will set up family living arrangements. I had a separate casita with private bath in an excellent area with breakfast included for $10/night. The husband and wife who owned it were both doctors and it allowed a lot of practice in conversation as they both spoke fair English so we could all practice.

Monte

adelante

Apr 3, 2004, 7:27 AM

Post #4 of 8 (3300 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for your reply. I attended this school about 4 years ago. I liked it. This time, I am looking for something a little smaller and not so much the college scene. Been there, done that.

Oaxaca is an amazing place!

Ade

adelante

Apr 3, 2004, 7:32 AM

Post #5 of 8 (3298 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mepsi] language schools in oaxaca

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. Living situation is important to me too. I like a place to come home to that is quiet, peaceful. I need a window in my room!-- private bath is nice. Did you have your own casita? Are the students at Amigos mostly college age, or are there more mature folks like me?( over 40)

ADE

mepsi

Apr 3, 2004, 9:07 AM

Post #6 of 8 (3295 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
The students at Amigos del Sol ran the gamut of age from teenagers to people in their 70's. I was 60 at the time I attended.

I think my living arrangement was better than most, with a private casita, but I may be mistaken because it was the only one with which I had any experience.

Monte

jodielyn

Apr 3, 2004, 5:58 PM

Post #7 of 8 (3275 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mepsi] language schools in oaxaca

Please tell me more about the "Amigos del Sol" school. My 17 year old daughter would like to attend there this summer. My concern is her saftey, she is as blonde as blonde comes and i have been cautioned about her being 'valuable' in this area of Mexico. She has spent much time in Santa Ana, and Hermosillo, and Guaymas area, but never this far south.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Jodie

Madeline

Apr 4, 2004, 4:40 PM

Post #8 of 8 (3259 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jodielyn] language schools in oaxaca

I just came from Oaxaca and I saw many young, blonde students there. It is also a very friendly city with a vibrant social scene for young people, from what I saw (and I get around). I don't know where you live, but I'd certainly send my 16 year old Granddaughter there before I'd send her to MANY American cities. If she has common sense (good to have anywhere you travel), she should have a wonderful time.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4