Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Practice & Help Forum

Ed and Fran

Mar 28, 2004, 2:33 PM

Post #1 of 14 (15813 views)

Shortcut

Embedding a photo in a post

Can't Post | Private Reply
Okay, now that you guys have helped me figure out how to change my icon (do you like the new shot of the Palo del Sol trees?) I'm ready to make another small step forward in board technology. I know how to attach a photo file to the message, but how do I get a photo to show up in a post (like Pete's house in his recent 'deleted post' thread over on the Ajijic board)?

Should I have been able to figure this out or find the instruction somewhere on the site?

Thanks

Ed ( a bit computer challenged...)

Uncle Jack

Mar 28, 2004, 2:52 PM

Post #2 of 14 (15805 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Embedding a photo in a post

Ed;

When you find out, please let me know.

uj

HHERRINGTON

Mar 28, 2004, 3:17 PM

Post #3 of 14 (15795 views)

Shortcut

Click on the "Image" icon and complete the address of the image on the pop up window.
----------------------------------------------------

Life is too complicated to be expressed in one liners.

DavidMcL

Mar 28, 2004, 3:23 PM

Post #4 of 14 (15794 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Embedding a photo in a post

This one is a bit more technically demanding!
Two choices:
1. As an attachment which people must click on to display if they want to view it.
2. As an inclusion in the posting.
Let's talk about the second one first.
The first thing you need is access to someone's server. Why? Because the image needs to be "out there" so that it can be brought in and shown on the viewer's computer.
Pete J. has put his on his server and then in the posting "calls" the image by using the URL button below.
so, when the image is on a server and you have the direct link to the image, within the New Post or Reply screen, you click on URL, (below) paste the direction to the image and then click the close URL button. The image will show up in the posting.

First option - attachment - this one is easy. Open the new posting or reply screen, go down to the bottom of the screen and beside the Attachment area, click on browse . . . - find the image and click on upload attachment. This will pull the image to the MXC server and keep it there until some one clicks on the Attchment link whereupon it will be displayed in their browser.

Hope this helps!

David
David McL
WebJefe

ET

Mar 28, 2004, 3:32 PM

Post #5 of 14 (15789 views)

Shortcut

The image has to be present on a hypertext transport protocol ("http" aka web) server. The image location is then inserted into the message by placing its full URL (i.e. starting with "http://") between a start image (the word "image" placed inside of start and end brackets [] -- I have to spell it out as if I write it in the proper format the forum software will think I'm trying to embed an image into this message) and end image ("/image" inside of [] brackets) tags.

Note that it's considerably more mannerly to provide your images as attachments to your message, rather than embedding them within the message itself, particularly if you don't know how to size an image for web delivery. By providing the images as attachments it allows people (particularly those on dial-up connections) to read your message first and then download the images for viewing if they're interested, rather than being forced to download and view the image by the mere act of opening the message.

Ed and Fran

Mar 28, 2004, 4:09 PM

Post #6 of 14 (15782 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Embedding a photo in a post

"1. As an attachment which people must click on to display if they want to view it. "

I'd actually figured this one out, but it bears repeating as it will probably be the most common way of posting to the forum.

"2. As an inclusion in the posting.
.... The first thing you need is access to someone's server. Why? Because the image needs to be "out there" so that it can be brought in and shown on the viewer's computer. "

That's what I thought you'd say. I've actually dealt with that method on another (hobby oriented) board that I frequent. For posting there most of us use an image hosting website that was set up by some board members specifically to host fotos for that forum. Unfortunately it's topic specific, so I can't use it to host general purpose photos from down here. Oh well, I'll have to start looking at getting access to someplace to store the images. Any recommendations for where to start looking for something like this?

Thanks for the advice.

Ed

Ed and Fran

Mar 28, 2004, 4:20 PM

Post #7 of 14 (15777 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ET] Embedding a photo in a post

E.T.

Thanks for the detailed description and help. As I mentioned in my reply to David, I've actually seen that before on another website. Just didn't realize that was how I'd have to do it here.

Note that it's considerably more mannerly to provide your images as attachments to your message, rather than embedding them within the message itself, particularly if you don't know how to size an image for web delivery. By providing the images as attachments it allows people (particularly those on dial-up connections) to read your message first and then download the images for viewing if they're interested, rather than being forced to download and view the image by the mere act of opening the message.

Being on a slow and unreliable dialup connection myself, I understand your point. But it's been my experience that properly sized images can open pretty quickly, even on dialup connections. Guess the key is, as you indicate, proper sizing. Since I don't have an image hosting server available at this time I guess I'll be attaching photos, at least for the foreseeable future.

Thanks

Ed

Ed and Fran

Mar 28, 2004, 4:27 PM

Post #8 of 14 (15774 views)

Shortcut

Website Hosting

Okay, forget previous question on website hosting. Just wandered over to the Technical Mexico forum (which I usually don't frequent) and saw Rolly and E.T.'s advice to another poster on website sources. So I've got some starting points.

Thanks again,

Ed

Rolly

Mar 28, 2004, 6:43 PM

Post #9 of 14 (15763 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Website Hosting

Glad you found it. I was about to tell it all over again. Smile

Rolly Pirate

Uncle Jack

Apr 5, 2004, 2:04 PM

Post #10 of 14 (15728 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Embedding a photo in a post

Let's see if this works. Let's try something patriotic like the American flag.

(This post was edited by Uncle Jack on Apr 5, 2004, 2:06 PM)
Attachments: Unfolding the flag.jpg (64.5 KB)

johanson

Apr 5, 2004, 9:27 PM

Post #11 of 14 (15693 views)

Shortcut

I am disappointed in you Uncle Jack. You didn't show that same young lady after she partially lowered the flag. :) I must have two more pictures of this patriotic act

Uncle Jack

Apr 6, 2004, 4:53 AM

Post #12 of 14 (15685 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Embedding a photo in a post

Peter.....I'm really disappointed in you...you dirty old man!

But just in case you really are true patriot, I've sent you the entire series by private e-mail.

uj

Texwheel

Apr 11, 2004, 10:04 AM

Post #13 of 14 (15653 views)

Shortcut

Uncle Jack,

If it isn't too much trouble, I love to see the whole series, also. :>)
Tom Williams
Georgetown, Texas
Texwheel@aol.com

Uncle Jack

Apr 11, 2004, 10:41 AM

Post #14 of 14 (15647 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Texwheel] Embedding a photo in a post

Send me your e-mail address.

uj

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4