Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

jolane

Mar 25, 2004, 2:42 AM

Post #1 of 9 (1413 views)

Shortcut

achiote

Can't Post | Private Reply
  Hello all,

Thanks for the answers to the tamarindo question, now here's another one! I also brought back some achiote paste last time we were down. I was told I could use it as a beef marinade. And I would, if I knew how to render some of this achiote down. I've tried to dissolve it in water and or vinegar, I've tried frying it in oil like making a curry paste and I'm almost to the point of setting a tiger torch to it to render it down.

Is this the way it's supposed to be? ( hard as a rock?) or has it dried out on me? How do I use it even if I manage to break a piece off?

Carron

Mar 25, 2004, 6:56 AM

Post #2 of 9 (1408 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jolane] achiote

Try crushing some in your molcajete.

jolane

Mar 25, 2004, 7:01 AM

Post #3 of 9 (1409 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] achiote

Aha.. thank you, and although I don't have a molcajete, I imagine I can substitute some kind of tool. :) ( Hammer and a rock maybe? lol)

Should it be this dry or has that happened since I've had it so long?

sfmacaws

Mar 25, 2004, 11:26 AM

Post #4 of 9 (1393 views)

Shortcut

Is it in small cubes, kind of like boullion? That is the way I usually buy it and it is soft and a little damp and crumbles. You can rub it on meat before grilling or simmering. It's good on all kinds of meat but especially good I think on pork. It is also sold in bulk and in longer bricks. It is often mixed with sour orange juice for a marinade and cooking sauce.

I'm guessing yours is just dried out, try steaming it over a little hot water.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

jolane

Mar 25, 2004, 11:39 AM

Post #5 of 9 (1390 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] achiote

Hi sfmacaws :)

Yes it is a little cube..sort of.. one cube per box. Which is why I wanted to get just a little piece off of it. I don't think this piece I've got was ever 'crumbly'.. but hanging on to it for 2 years hasn't helped any that's for sure. Anyway, thanks all for the tips, soon as I find some kind of tool ( can't get a molcajete here, or anything else for that matter) I'll give it a go. :)

sfmacaws

Mar 25, 2004, 12:51 PM

Post #6 of 9 (1385 views)

Shortcut

Try putting the whole cube in some orange juice mixed with lime or lemon juice (I don't think you have sour oranges there?) and heating it. I think that will dissolve it. One cube is not that much, it's used pretty generously not like salt or pepper.

I have found it available in mexican stores in the US, it shouldn't be impossible to get more up there.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

jolane

Mar 25, 2004, 1:25 PM

Post #7 of 9 (1381 views)

Shortcut

Hi sf :)

Will the orange juice make a difference? cause I've already tried boiling it in water..I even left it there a couple of days and it sort of broke down but there were some really hard pieces left, however I used it anyhow. It was ok, I like the taste. I didn't know though that it's better with pork so that will be the next try.

I live in Edmonton Alberta and I've looked and looked for Mexican ingredients and Mexican cooking tools. I have yet to find a place that has anything. We do have a few Indian stores but nothing Mexican so far. If I want a comal or molcajete I have to order it online and I can just imagine the shipping costs for those as it goes by the pound!

Like I said, I might have to go find a flatish rock and some kind of striking instrument.. lol

sfmacaws

Mar 25, 2004, 1:50 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1375 views)

Shortcut

Wow! No, I doubt the orange juice would do much more than boiling water but I'm not sure. It certainly sounds like what you have is either really old and dried out or entirely different from what I get here in the Yucatan. It may be that as the paste dried out it hardened like concrete and can't be returned. Interesting. I know there is an online mexican food store and imagine that shipping spices and such like achiote would be inexpensive. Sorry I can't come up with any other suggestions. Oh wait, have you tried a grater? or a food processor?

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

jolane

Mar 25, 2004, 3:01 PM

Post #9 of 9 (1370 views)

Shortcut

Now both of those ideas sound likely.. grater first.. and then coffee grinder :) I'll let you know what happens.

Jo :)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4