Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

jwulfert

Mar 23, 2004, 8:40 PM

Post #1 of 9 (5137 views)

Shortcut

Afro-Latin Music Festival in Veracruz

Can't Post |
Does anybody know when the Afro-Latin music festival is this year? Likewise, has anybody ever been? I have travelled extensively in Mexico, however have never experienced Veracruz. Any advise or suggestions? Thanks

raferguson

Mar 24, 2004, 7:08 PM

Post #2 of 9 (5105 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwulfert] Afro-Latin Music Festival in Veracruz

Can't Post | Private Reply
The city of Veracruz is one of our favorite places in Mexico. People are very friendly, a party town. A popular tourist destination for Mexicans. The few americans we saw were residents of other parts of Mexico, in Veracruz on vacation! What does that tell you?

I was not aware of the festival, but Veracruz is famous of music, dancing, and Carnaval. If you can find out the dates, go and have a good time and tell us all about it. The web seems to talk about the 2001 and 2002 festival, but no info on 2003 or 2004.

I got curious so I sent an email in spanish to the Instituto Veracruzono de Cultura. Their website did not mention it. I will let you know if I find out anything then from them about the festival.

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Mar 24, 2004, 9:31 PM

Post #3 of 9 (5097 views)

Shortcut

I have not been to the Afro-Carribean Festival in Veracruz Port, other than seeing it on television, but have seen many of the artists playing here in Xalapa at the Plaza Lerdo downtown. It is usually in March or April. There are many world-reknowned artists who come and exellent music can be enjoyed for a week. Another attraction is Junio Musical which is the month of June with the complete gamat of music be presented every day. It is a must! I have enjoyed it for the last 5 years and have thousands of pictures.

As soon as get back from Tlacotalpan, I will find out more information.

¡Portense mal y cuidense bien!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

Bubba

Mar 27, 2004, 9:27 AM

Post #4 of 9 (5071 views)

Shortcut

After seeing excerpts from the Afro Latin Festival of a couple of years ago on Canal Once, I did some extensive searching on the internet to find out the dates of the festival this year. It appears to me that the festival is not being held this year and may have been disbanded altogether. I hope I am wrong. If anyone can help on this it would be most appreciated.

raferguson

Mar 30, 2004, 4:54 PM

Post #5 of 9 (5041 views)

Shortcut

Festival is on, first two weeks of July

Festival is on, per the attached email. It is the first two weeks in July. The detailed schedule will be on the website at the end of June.

I hope you go and give us a report.

Richard

-------------------------------------------

Ciudadano
Richard Ferguson
Presente

El Festival Internacional Afrocaribeño se realizará la Primera Quincena de
Julio, podra usted ver la programación del mismo en la pagina
www.ivec.gob.mx la ultima semana del mes de junio aproximadamente

Gracias por escribirnos

Atentamente
Instituto Veracruzano de la Cultura

Esteban

Mar 31, 2004, 8:44 AM

Post #6 of 9 (5023 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Festival is on, first two weeks of July

I checked out the website but didn't see any info on the festival. It sounds like a great event. If anyone has any more information, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Gracias

raferguson

Mar 31, 2004, 11:23 PM

Post #7 of 9 (5007 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Festival is on, first two weeks of July

I thought it was odd that they did not even mention the festival on their website, but the email said that the full schedule would be on the website the last week in June.

I don't think the most Mexican institutions place the same importance on their websites that we place in the USA.

Esteban

Apr 1, 2004, 5:36 AM

Post #8 of 9 (5003 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Festival is on, first two weeks of July

Your reference to the importance of the website is an understatement. I've also found that advertising in general is far less important than word of mouth. I talked with a travel agent here in Mazatlan and she told me she'd look into it. Sometimes in Mazatlan, cultural events aren't advertised until the day they will happen. To catch a lot of the good stuff, you just have to walk down to the Plaza Machado and check it out. Or if you're lucky, someone will mention an event or you have to read the music and art section of the the local newspapers EVERYDAY.

RonMader

Apr 2, 2004, 3:11 AM

Post #9 of 9 (4981 views)

Shortcut

Eric Mindling and Manos de Oaxaca have promoted the festival ... but they are waiting for details as well to update the section on what to expect in 2004

http://www.manos-de-oaxaca.com/...caribe/ac_intr03.htm
Ron Mader
Planeta.com
http://www.planeta.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4