Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Bubba

Mar 18, 2004, 4:00 PM

Post #1 of 24 (2761 views)

Shortcut

Aviary Vs. Sanctuary

Can't Post | Private Reply
Someone needs to clear this up for the idiot Bubba.

I was reading the new issue of "Lake Chapala Review" and noted an article by one, Thetis Reeves, regarding the new bird "sanctuary" that an organization he represents is building in Riberas del Pilar. The developers of this facility have, apparently, overcome some local opposition and will soon open up this thing . Now, I live in Ajijic so this is not my personal battle.

When Bubba thinks of "sanctuaries" for our animal friends, the notion of a place of refuge for free wild animals comes to mind. When Bubba lived in the wilds of the Mayacamas Mountains in Sonoma County, California, he was surrounded by great forests where certain animals were protected from hunters, developers and land owners. In fact, a portion of Bubba's seven acre property was sacrosanct and not buildable for the sake of some pretty strange and unknown little bitty creatures. That's OK since we lived out in the boondocks because we wanted it to stay that way.

When Bubba lived near the magnificent and incredibly beautiful estuarian wilderness north of Mobile Bay in Alabama. (Mobile Bay being an estuary itself just as is San Francisco Bay and Chesapeake Bay), he was too young and too dense to understand the ramifications of the swath cut through these wetlands for the future Interstate 65 through what had been considered worthless wilderness bought up for pennies by a local congressman when engineering plans were still undisclosed.

On the other hand, there must be something positive that can be said for caging wild birds for the entertainment of bored humans as in an "aviary". Someone please make that case for me.

So, in light of my experience and without prejudging anyone's motives, I ask. Is this a "sanctuary" or an "aviary" (or, bird prison), that is being built out there in Riberas del Pilar? Who benefits from this thing?

I await enlightenment.

Bubba

(This post was edited by Bubba on Mar 18, 2004, 4:02 PM)

gypsypat

Mar 19, 2004, 6:24 AM

Post #2 of 24 (2697 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Aviary Vs. Sanctuary

Bubba.

I'm wit chu, babe. Is this just another "do-gooder" project?

GypsyPat

Bubba

Mar 19, 2004, 12:30 PM

Post #3 of 24 (2659 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gypsypat] Aviary Vs. Sanctuary

GypsyPat:

You mean such as the infamous "Brick by Brick" campaign to cover up the municipal garbage dump that made the whole expat community down here look like a bunch of dingbats? In that instance, there is reason to suspect that maybe some real estate interests were trying to make the community more presentable for prospects. Of course, the Jalisco powers that be let this go on for quite a while and then suddenly discovered that it was illegal to build a wall that close to the highway. This is the same government that hasn't noticed the concrete ciclopista right next to the road from Ajijic to El Chante which could prevent your escape in the event one of the many illegal passers on that road is coming right at you one day. If I am not mistaken, breakaway barriers could have accomplished the same thing.

Getting back to the giant birdcage, er, "sanctuary", I have one of those next to my property full of parrots that my rich Guadalajaran neighbor moved down here when he got sick of their loud screaching. I have gotten used to it and this is a noisy town anyway. Still, the question is, what is the real motivation for the Riberas birdcage?

Uncle Donnie

Mar 20, 2004, 1:56 PM

Post #4 of 24 (2597 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

I see where at least two other website's forums are worryin' this one to death. I'm just sittin' back watchin' the long knives drawn by the various gringo and gringoette world savers and their foes and supporters so they can have at each other.

Aside from thankin' ever'body for the entertainment value I'm about past carin' what the assorted loon brigades are up to.

And Bubba, forget about that beachfront Eden we talked about---the newbies have started organizin' down there. As much as I hate to face the inevitable truth, we seem to be the cancer of Earth.

Shameless self-promotion:
http://www.headformexico.com

Bubba

Mar 20, 2004, 4:12 PM

Post #5 of 24 (2584 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Donnie] Aviary Vs. Sanctuary

UD:

Thanks for your words of wisdom. One cannot make a decent soup without stirring the pot so I thought I would do some agitating. Unfortunately (or fortunately) Mexico Connect was not the fecund ground for growing controversy in the soil of Riberas del Pilar on this issue that the other forum proved to be so I am dropping this immediately after this post.

Now, we know each other slightly and I admire your work but I must tell you this. I really don't mind if one wants to construct an aviary. You and I know that animal cages are a non-issue in Mexico so where am I going with this? Call what you are doing by its name. An aviary is not a sanctuary. It is a cage.

Now, to the real mystery. Why did this subject stir up a hornets' nest on the other forum and die like a discourse on wall paper removal on this one?

I thought I understood human nature better than was the case.

Uncle Donnie

Mar 20, 2004, 5:37 PM

Post #6 of 24 (2568 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I agree with the aviary argument to a certain extent. Just like I no longer butcher my own beef but still enjoy a good steak if someone else does the killin' and cleanin'.

I guess you could make the argument that the proposed bird receptacle will serve an educational function but I don't much care for caged birds or animals. On the opposin' hand though, I do appreciate the chance to go to a game park or zoo to see them. It's truly hard not to be a hypocrite, ain't it?

As to why the issue became so heated on the other forums---I'm guessin' that them that ain't financially invested in a quality site don't mind soilin' their free nest. Usually whatever's free is worth about what you pay for it.

And a lot of us who used to get censored on these forums several years back have just gotten tired. If you know some of the players on other forums they either don't live in Mexico anymore, are part-time residents, or are often irrationally attracted to a person or cause for whatever reason. And they can remain anonymous if they're not here in country. And some that's snakes elsewhere seem to behave semi-civilly here. Be interestin' to hear them explainerate, wouldn't it?

One breakaway group from MC (and probably more) objected to La jen's blue pencil but just as soon as that group started so did the rules and reprimands and repercussions---which comes full circle to my original thought---some of us can't shake the habit of makin' up rules and tryin' to enforce 'em; and some of us can't help but try to break every rule that pops up.

I'm thinkin' maybe there should be two www bands---one for those who can produce a certificate of mental health from a psychiatrist, and one for the rest of us.

Thanks for the kind words. Jack evidently tipped you off that I'm rapidly becoming one of the local publicity hounds and offer to buy drinks at the drop of a compliment.

And if you TRULY want to stir the pot I'll be your campaign manager if you'll get together a slate of other candidates and run for czar of all the local gringo glory groups with the sole purpose of consolidatin' the ever expandin', and alarmin'ly more contentious, groups under one banner and one Supreme Commander. It only takes less than 200 votes to win over at the big 'un. Even less this last time.

Lurkers and posters---a call to arms. Draft Bubba!

Bubba

Mar 22, 2004, 7:30 AM

Post #7 of 24 (2496 views)

Shortcut

Thanks UD but I would rather hoe potatoes in Idaho than get involved in local politics at Lake Chapala.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Mar 22, 2004, 9:56 AM)

Uncle Donnie

Mar 22, 2004, 2:36 PM

Post #8 of 24 (2452 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Where's your spirit of adventure? I'm serious as AIDS, you'd probably be surprised at how much support we could drum up for you. And we can recycle that old slogan that's guaranteed to get 'em flockin' to the polls---streets full of flockin' voters:

If nominated, I will not run;
If elected, I will not serve.

Bein' a local legend oughtta trump bein' a hoer.

HHERRINGTON

Mar 22, 2004, 3:38 PM

Post #9 of 24 (2444 views)

Shortcut

Bubba, please reconsider, summers are cold in Idaho and you are a natural for the LCS job.
----------------------------------------------------

Life is too complicated to be expressed in one liners.

Jean

Mar 22, 2004, 6:04 PM

Post #10 of 24 (2424 views)

Shortcut

You're a wise man Bubba. Keep your own counsel and don't listen to that crowd :)
Retirement Communities
http://www.retirecommunities.com

esperanza

Mar 22, 2004, 8:58 PM

Post #11 of 24 (2406 views)

Shortcut

There have actually been any number of local legends who were also thought to be hoers.

But far be it from me to name names.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Uncle Donnie

Mar 24, 2004, 3:10 PM

Post #12 of 24 (2356 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Aviary Vs. Sanctuary

Can't Post |
Senorita E, once my health improves and this rash clears up I'd love to see the list up future legend aspirants.

And Jeannie, don't discourage Bubba; I think we can eventually tip him over the edge. Things are just waaay too dull since we're now mostly involved in ignoring the previous oberfuhrer, and the present one seems to be faintly normal and may or may not evolve into entertaining before the end of his term.

At least I've never seen him with a cup of coffe in his hand yet.

Uncle Jack

Mar 24, 2004, 3:14 PM

Post #13 of 24 (2357 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Aviary Vs. Sanctuary

"But far be it from me to name names."

Thank God! Remember, we do have a bandwidth problem here.

uj

Bubba

Mar 24, 2004, 8:09 PM

Post #14 of 24 (2333 views)

Shortcut

Speaking of values.

UD:

Richard Clark was a hoer. Now he's a legend.

Thank God for royalties and IRA accounts. These assets free us up to become courageous. Prior to that financial freedom, most of us are worms and suck up to the Dubyas of this world so shamelessly that we should all be HIV positive.

Now, having worked for the Federal government as a bank examiner and for various commercial banks as a loan officer, Bubba can say this without equivocation. It is far better to bask in the sunshine of Lake Chapala any day rather then be a banker with one's nose up the butt of some phony wine grower dilettante in the Napa Valley. Why in God's name, UD, would I ever want to associate myself with that sort of world again whether among working or retired people?

You already know the answer and amuse me because you pretend otherwise.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Mar 24, 2004, 8:22 PM)

mkdutch

Mar 25, 2004, 7:48 AM

Post #15 of 24 (2287 views)

Shortcut

Re Clark: a legend in his own mind, maybe...8^).

Uncle Donnie

Mar 25, 2004, 7:56 AM

Post #16 of 24 (2286 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Bubba, you're shatterin' my aspirations to greatness. Havin' never been, like the vast majority of our neighbors, a SEAL, a Sniper, a MOH recipient, "the top man in the top publishin' house in NY", a famous Hollywood/NY (albeit totally unknown to the rest of the civilized world) actor/author/playright/singer/dancer/captain of industry/Nobel Laureate, SF or CIA operative/six-term dog cather of a major Midwestern city, etc., I had hoped that I could at last reach some degree of prominence in the community by positionin' myself as the power behind the throne.

I'm tellin' ya', this is a golden opportunity to bring peace and sanity to this whole passel of unhappy group of rule makers and socially elite white wine sippers.

IMHO, it's about time to leave our Mexican hosts, and the saner among us, out of the "do-gooder as long as my name and pic are at the top of the page" bunch.

And even though you seem to be in the ABGW camp, he ain't involved in our local insanities so I can be the hoer in this campaign and help propel you to temporary Lakeside prominence and get you in position to save us all from drowning in the morass of the 500+ social and charitable organizations competing for money and attention here in what used to be, and could once more be Paradise.

Not interested? Say it ain't so, Bubba!

Bubba

Mar 25, 2004, 8:10 AM

Post #17 of 24 (2280 views)

Shortcut

My God, UD:

We live next each other and didn't know it. I now know this because you just profiled my neighborhood. It is a true pleasure to be surrounded by so many great and accomplished people after a career in banking spent with other dunderheads slogging through life watching the clock.

gbatrucks

Apr 1, 2004, 3:01 PM

Post #18 of 24 (2208 views)

Shortcut

I'm thinkin Richard Clark is the only straight shooter in the bunch back there. Am I nuts or just confused...Hep me out here Bubba.
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

mkdutch

Apr 1, 2004, 7:31 PM

Post #19 of 24 (2179 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gbatrucks] Aviary Vs. Sanctuary

Clark, "...the only straight shooter..."?! I would strongly suggest you withold further judgment for awhile, and see if his pronouncements and opinions survive the light of day. If I were to express an opinion now, it would be that he will be little more than a footnote by the time the election comes around. In the meantime, he'll probably sell a lot of books to Democrats...8o). In time, we'll see. But what do I know? Only Bubba really knows...=^..^=.

gbatrucks

Apr 2, 2004, 9:37 AM

Post #20 of 24 (2143 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkdutch] Aviary Vs. Sanctuary

Well, maybe Uncle Jack too...'cause he knows what a real bowl of Texas Red is all about,,,which by nature makes him wise on many subjects.

gail

Bubba

Apr 2, 2004, 1:13 PM

Post #21 of 24 (2114 views)

Shortcut

Well, it's all pretty clear to me Trucks, after a lifetime working for corporations.

Let's presume that both Dick Clarke and Condi Rice are straight shooters with different perspectives. Bubba was a back row bum in high school. You know the type with the ready spitball who, along with his pals, was disruptive of the process. Dick Clarke is Bubba only quite a bit smarter. Condi was the front row goodie-two-shoes who excelled academically and was always sucking up to the teacher. She was so smart that she screwed up the grading curve for the rest of us.

Now, I ask you. If you were Dick Clarke or Condi Rice would you not despise this other person whom I have just described? I have been there and done that. No matter how brilliant Dick Clarke may have been, no matter how incisive his thinking or correct his insight, there is no way he would ever be admitted to the inner circle. Thus, he was consigned to the role of the fly that keeps buzzing about and irritating the hell out of everybody else. That's why he got to be in charge of cyberspace security as that was the only way they could swat him. In other words they sent him off to cyberspace and resumed their discussion of "Star Wars".

Then, all of a sudden, KABOOM!!!

(This post was edited by Bubba on Apr 2, 2004, 1:15 PM)

gbatrucks

Apr 2, 2004, 1:57 PM

Post #22 of 24 (2102 views)

Shortcut

As always I am enlightened by your insight. IT'S THE GREEN ENVY MONSTER THING!!

Your humble student,

Trucks

gbatrucks

Apr 2, 2004, 1:59 PM

Post #23 of 24 (2101 views)

Shortcut

Or maybe Clark was tortured with the thought of "How can I soar with eagles when I work with all these TURKEYS!"

Bubba

Apr 13, 2004, 12:57 PM

Post #24 of 24 (2013 views)

Shortcut

Bubba wishes to apologize for his negative comments on Geoffrey's aviary. By chance, I went there today to purchase some dog food because the center of town was so crowded and I was quite impressed by the care taken in building the aviary at the pet center. This is a very nice facility and could not possibly bother anyone. I take back all of my negative comments, tell those who complained that they are sourpusses and wish Geoffrey luck even though I still do not care for him personally. I'm sure the feeling would be mutual if he knew me.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Apr 13, 2004, 1:01 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4