Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Practice & Help Forum

esperanza

Mar 11, 2004, 6:24 AM

Post #1 of 7 (15731 views)

Shortcut

Help With PM Reply Problem, Please

Can't Post | Private Reply
Greetings folks...I'm having an on-going and intermittent problem with replying to PMs (and to posts, actually, now that I think about it). What's going on (sometimes) is that when I hit 'reply', what I get is the pale blue box to type in, with its little green bar of formatting stuff that SHOULD BE on top compressed into the typing field. It won't let me type, of course. This also happens frequently when I'm previewing something I'm writing and try to change it. This can go on for hours or days and then disappear without any change in my actions.

I've cleared my cache, I've exited the site and come back again, I've turned the stupid machine on and off, I've done everything I know to do to correct each instance of the problem. Nothing seems to work permanently. What causes this to happen? What do I need to do to stop it from happening?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

DavidMcL

Mar 11, 2004, 7:01 AM

Post #2 of 7 (15720 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Help With PM Reply Problem, Please

Esperanza -
I am passing this on to the folks that wrote the program for response.

David
David McL
WebJefe

Papirex

Mar 11, 2004, 7:10 AM

Post #3 of 7 (15718 views)

Shortcut

Esperanza, I had the same problem, only once though, about two weeks ago. I usually type my posts in Word because I don’t like the size of the little blue box, it is hard for me to accurately proof read my posts in it. I also like to have a better spell, and grammar check. I always copy, and paste it when I post a reply. Copying it is also insurance that I won’t lose it if anything goes wrong. Copying it instead of cutting it paid off when I had this problem, it saved me from having to retype my post reply a few times.

A couple of weeks ago, I encountered the same conditions you described, with the formatting stuff in the typing field. It really puzzled me, I had never seen that condition before. My reply to a post would not copy. I exited Mexconnect 3 or 4 times. Finally it worked normally. Since you have had the same problem that I did, it makes me suspect that it is an intermittent system error and not something that we have caused ourselves.

I know this isn’t any help, but you’re not alone. Maybe someone more technically qualified knows what could be causing it to happen.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

esperanza

Mar 11, 2004, 7:11 AM

Post #4 of 7 (15718 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Help With PM Reply Problem, Please

Muchísimas gracias, Don Jefe. And you too, Sr. Rex. Your post makes me feel less crazy, an excellent thing in this world.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Mar 11, 2004, 7:13 AM)

Rolly

Mar 11, 2004, 7:41 AM

Post #5 of 7 (15708 views)

Shortcut

I have that problem a LOT. In fact it happened just now as I started to make this reply. Smile

I fix it by clicking on the little box below the blue field that says "Switch to Basic Editor." You can either type your words in the new box that will appear, or you can click on the box that says "Switch to Advanced Editor." The switch back to Advanced has always worked for me -- including now as I am typing this.

Rolly Pirate

Miguelito

Mar 12, 2004, 4:55 AM

Post #6 of 7 (15678 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Help With PM Reply Problem, Please

I used to have that problem almost every time I posted. Then, all of a sudden it stopped and that may have been coincidental with the cable modem for some reason. Switching editors cured it when it did occur, though.

Los que cantan oran dos veces! (Those who sing pray twice!)

DavidMcL

Mar 12, 2004, 9:11 AM

Post #7 of 7 (15662 views)

Shortcut

The problem could be related to all the updates that Microsoft is
releasing and the havoc it causes with the javascript required to
run the HTML Editor.

Things will settle down soon, but in the meantime, to avoid these
problems, go to "Edit Profile", select "Display Settings" and then
change the "Post writer/editor" setting to use the Basic Editor by
default.

Sorry about the inconvenience, sometimes with involved programming
like the HTML editor which allows you to type like a Word document,
it's difficult to keep up with the changes Microsoft makes to IE
because we depend so heavily on the support in IE to make the
editor work.

I am having the Forums program updated during April so that this and other issues will be reduced or eliminated.

David
David McL
WebJefe

(This post was edited by DavidMcL on Mar 12, 2004, 10:01 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4