Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Frustrated

Mar 3, 2004, 1:50 PM

Post #1 of 7 (6139 views)

Shortcut

From Talosian.

Can't Post |
First, I was on the "Building in Mexico" branch but my account was screwed up so I cam here under another username. Here is my situation.

I'm not ready to retire per se but am strongly considering moving to Mexico and either buying or building. I have read about several areas ranging from few expats (some lake area) to lots of expats.

Having read some of the commercial boards which paint everything as easy, etc. I want some input from those of you who have been in the tranches (so to speak).

Background: I went to the Cayman Islands in 1990 and built a B&B from the swamp up. It went over wonderfully and got a lot of publicity (it had a Star Trek theme). It was budget and what I did on Cayman was find a need and fill that need.

Now, I would like to do it again in Mexico. A nice American run B&B; but where?

If I buy, I know it's a lot quicker but there is remodel, etc. If I build, it may take forever and not speaking Spanish, I will run into a lot of problems. I know I have to grease the wheels in Mexico and have no problem with that so long as it's "reasonable." I'm looking to build something with under ten rooms and also a house for myself (maybe 3,000 sq. ft. )

So with the above information base, can some of you give me input from you own experiences?

I'm open to suggestions, comments and whatever else anyone cares to share.

Thanks.

Spock (aka David)

Esteban

Mar 3, 2004, 2:06 PM

Post #2 of 7 (6135 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Frustrated] From Talosian.

Can't Post | Private Reply
What's your budget?

Frustrated

Mar 3, 2004, 7:07 PM

Post #3 of 7 (6122 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] From Talosian.

Can't Post |
$150,000 US give or take 10%.

I'm wondering, other than financial, what are the advantages of living in Mexico rather than the U.S. or Canada?

David

Esteban

Mar 3, 2004, 7:26 PM

Post #4 of 7 (6115 views)

Shortcut

That question is what the Mexconnect site is all about. Many people have written books about it. Keep searching this site. However, if I had 150 grand I wouldn't come close to thinking about building a B and B! Good Luck.

johanson

Mar 3, 2004, 7:32 PM

Post #5 of 7 (6112 views)

Shortcut

I don't mean to sound flippant here, but that really depends on you. The weather is nice, but above all, I have many friends here.

Frustrated

Mar 3, 2004, 9:56 PM

Post #6 of 7 (6103 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] From Talosian.

Can't Post |
Esteban: Do you mean US$150,000 won't start it? I'm not looking to make a living, rather to meet people (visitors) and break even.

I guess my concern is about culture shock and not speaking the language. I also have a low frustration level so I have to factor that into my thinking when it comes to long lines and the "soon come" attitude such as I found in Cayman.

Just want something to do in my twilight years (a challenge) rather than just do gardening <smile>

Thanks.

Spock.

Esteban

Mar 4, 2004, 7:07 AM

Post #7 of 7 (6090 views)

Shortcut

Well, just because you build it, doesn't mean the people will come. Of course you know that. I'd tend to believe that you'll need a location that will draw people and those places need to be near an airport which means near a larger city which means land is usually more expensive. You'll have to do your own research on cost. Look at Rolly's excellent cost analysis of his project. He does not live in a tourist area. Right Rolly? Consequently, his prices were probably lower than what you'd pay in other places. Plus, he was working with friends/adopted family. Relationships like what he has, tend to lower costs. There is only one truth here. Live in Mexico FIRST before you decide to do anything. There is no getting around it. I know people who can live on less than $5000 a year and those that have a hard time making it on $2000 USD a month.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4