Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

moviestarmommy

Feb 28, 2004, 6:55 AM

Post #1 of 17 (9606 views)

Shortcut

Another "newbie" on board!(Golf & Inflation?)

Can't Post |
Hi...I'm excited to find this "mc". I'm in the week trial stage, but am thinking this is the place to sign up! My husband and I are recovering from the initial shock that our retirement and Soc Sec is going to put us at "poverty" level very soon. We were considering a move to Lafayette, LA (we live in Missouri) to be close to our son (an attorney there)..but can't seem to make the "numbers work" for the long term. I am very intrigued in the possibility of moving to Mexico, but am a little concerned about the "big leap" and of course the cost of living. Does anyone have input regarding how inflation affects their "fixed income"? we live in a small town and my husband's passion is golf. Is it possible to play golf without paying a "king's ransom"? If I can get past that hurdle perhaps my husband will be more likely to "get on board". When I first began my "mexico research" my heart lightened that we might be able to actually have a rewarding and peaceful lifestyle without worrying about the "future"; but, as the old adage goes...."if it's too good to be true..then it probably is"...Anyone willing to give me some personal "encouraging" feedback?.. P.S. I hope this post is not too long and appropriate for this forum. If not..I apologize and will "mend my ways" to "fit in"..Thanks to all...KC

Jerry@Ajijic

Feb 28, 2004, 7:25 AM

Post #2 of 17 (9594 views)

Shortcut

Re: [moviestarmommy] Another "newbie" on board!(Golf & Inflation?)

Can't Post | Private Reply
The cost of living here, like every other place, depends on what you want in the way of lifestyle. The best thing for you to do is make a visit here, stay for a week or two and see what the life style you want costs.

Just to give you an idea, the Mexican government requires a couple to have a continuing income of about $ 1,500.00 USD monthly to get a FM3(more or less permission to be here permanently).

If that number does not scare you off then come on down and see how you like living in paradise.

Ed and Fran

Feb 28, 2004, 8:05 AM

Post #3 of 17 (9586 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] Another "newbie" on board!(Golf & Inflation?)

If you haven't already started to do so, read as many back posts as you can on both the Ajijic/Lake Chapapa and Guanajuato/San Miguel forums (not to mention the other forums). While they're not your only choices of locations, they do have the largest concentrations of expats and have a lot of good posts, including cost info.

You might try using the 'search' function and looking for posts with 'golf'. I know there have been several threads about that in the past.

We live out in the provinces, so I can't speak for golfing in the bigger areas. But we have one 9 hole course near us, it's the only one within reasonable driving distance. It's not great, but they maintain it okay. I suppose it's about the quality of an average municipal course in mid-America. We pay $40 U.S. per month for dues for the family. There are only about 50-60 playing members so there's not much wait for a tee time. This is the low end of the scale. We have also played at other courses in other locations here that were considerably more expensive. Golf courses at resort areas do cost a 'King's Ransom'.

Good luck

E&F

El Gringo Nuevo

Feb 28, 2004, 8:33 AM

Post #4 of 17 (9579 views)

Shortcut

Greetings Mommy, there are all kinds of answers on this site regarding your questions using the search feature and responses from other posters as well. However, you'll never know the truth for your own circumstances unless, in my view, you spend some time in Mexico and see for yourself. Lakeside may be too expensive for your pocketbook however their are other places nearby and far that might better meet your overall needs better. Many posters have commented that the Mexicans who live in greater Lakeside live on less than 600 USD per month. Also you may fall in love with Lakeside and will do whatever it takes to get there. SO, spend several weeks or longer down here travelling around, talking to other gringos etc and make your decision based upon first hand knowledge. My wife was dead set against Mexico but after 3 visits for a week or more she is now telling her friends "when we move to Mexico next year, etc". There's magic here for some folks but you must find your own magic. Good luck.

moviestarmommy

Feb 28, 2004, 8:48 AM

Post #5 of 17 (9574 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Another "newbie" on board!(Golf & Inflation?)

Can't Post |
Hi Ed and Fran!

Thanks for the reply! I've searched the internet and cannot find anything about "public" or "local" golf courses...Everything I've found are the expensive resort type clubs etc. I will take your advice and research this site as indicated..thank you for the tips!

May I have more info about your particular location? The $40/mo sounds like our price range! The country club in this small rural town costs around $1500 per year and allows hubby to use his own golf cart....it's not fancy but allows him to play as often as he wants 9 mos out of a year..and he loves to play tournaments etc.

We love to golf, fish, play cards, are avid readers, ...he enjoys painting (and taking lessons!) and I enjoy needlepoint, crossstitch and scrapbooking (aren't we boring?)

Between us we have 5 human children in CA,TX,LA,AR,MO...and we have three furry children (shih tzus )in residence.

We are trying to sell our home now...and are hopeful for a contract in March (fingers crossed!!). I would love to make a trip to Mexico to investigate renting for awhile to see if we like it...

Some of the questions I have are: 1. We feed our "chuppies" raw organic chicken with forage...shipped to us from Wisconsin. Can it be shipped to Mexico? 2. I am terrified of mice and rats. Am I likely to have to "live"with them in my residence? (not the rats necessarily, but the mice?)(Sorry, but I HAVE to ask that question. 3. are mosquitoes a problem? 4.Is the website by Karen Blue with the subscription to her magazine that offers detailed info regarding moving, renting, and personal contacts once arriving really worthwhile, or am I likely to receive the same kind of input and assistance from my contacts on this webpage?

More questions coming I'm sure...but good to hear from all of you!

Thank you!...msm

Rolly

Feb 28, 2004, 9:50 AM

Post #6 of 17 (9563 views)

Shortcut

Hi MSM,

>Some of the questions I have are:

1. We feed our "chuppies" raw organic chicken with forage...shipped to us from Wisconsin. Can it be shipped to Mexico?

No, it cannot be shipped to Mexico, but we have lots of chickens here, so buying locally should not be a problem.

2. I am terrified of mice and rats. Am I likely to have to "live"with them in my residence? (not the rats necessarily, but the mice?)(Sorry, but I HAVE to ask that question.

Yes, we have rats and mice all over Mexico. They should not be any more of a problem here than where you are coming from. In fact I have fewer problems here than I did in Los Angeles.

3. are mosquitoes a problem?

Mosquitoes are common all over Mexico in the summer and all year in some places -- the higher elevations have fewer of them, the tropical areas have more. Where I live in the desert, we have very few.

4. Is the website by Karen Blue with the subscription to her magazine that offers detailed info regarding moving, renting, and personal contacts once arriving really worthwhile, or am I likely to receive the same kind of input and assistance from my contacts on this webpage?

I think Ms Blue and King run a very nice magazine that would be helpful to you, but you can also learn most, perhaps, all of what you need right here in MexConnect.

Let me direct you to my website where you can find a lot on information about moving and living in Mexico. http://rollybrook.com/Page%20Directory.htm

Rolly Pirate

moviestarmommy

Feb 28, 2004, 10:12 AM

Post #7 of 17 (9557 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Another "newbie" on board!(Golf & Inflation?)

Can't Post |
Hello Rolly!

Thank you for your post! I've read lots of yours this morning!

Your info is helpful and appreciated. Will visit your website today and looking forward to it!

My husband and I will have a combined income from $25,000 per year to up to $34,000 per year if needed..though that will require we use some of our retirement which we prefer not to do for several years...also,It is possible that we will pay cash for our home..do we need to consider more of an outlying area with less gringos than the Lake Chapala area to avoid living extremely frugally?

Of course, I know that is a relative term, but we would like to go the theatre, golf and eat out occassionally..as well as travel throughout Mexico.....None of this to an excess though....

An opinion?

Thanks...msm

Ed and Fran

Feb 28, 2004, 10:42 AM

Post #8 of 17 (9549 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the reply! I've searched the internet and cannot find anything about "public" or "local" golf courses...Everything I've found are the expensive resort type clubs etc. I will take your advice and research this site as indicated..thank you for the tips!

I wouldn't expect you'd find much on these smaller courses. I don't think ours even has a computer, much less publicity on the web. Their record keeping of monthly dues is manual, just a sheet of graph paper with names down the left and months across the top. The course we belonged to in Cd del Carmen, Campeche was similar. This would be something you'd just have to search out locally.

Golf isn't a very common sport down here, largely due to the lack of places to play. I doubt that half the people who live in our neighborhood even know what the sport is. I doubt anyone in our neighborhood knows that there is a golf course about a half hour away (and, quite frankly, they don't really care).

May I have more info about your particular location? The $40/mo sounds like our price range! The country club in this small rural town costs around $1500 per year and allows hubby to use his own golf cart....it's not fancy but allows him to play as often as he wants 9 mos out of a year..and he loves to play tournaments etc.

We live in Tuxpan, Veracruz, on the gulf coast about halfway between Tampico and the port of Veracruz. It's not normally considered an expat destination, probably because: a) it's too hard to get to/from, b) it's too hot in the summer, c) it's too humid year round, d) limited shopping, e) marginal advanced health care facilities, and f) not much English spoken around the area. I don't want to seem negative, it is very peaceful, has it's own charm, and has a nice beach area. But it will never challenge Ajijic as a place to retire.

Good luck in your search,

Ed and Fran

jennifer rose

Feb 28, 2004, 7:28 PM

Post #9 of 17 (9501 views)

Shortcut

Another "newbie" on board!(Golf & Inflation?)

Can't Post |

In Reply To

Many posters have commented that the Mexicans who live in greater Lakeside live on less than 600 USD per month. Also you may fall in love with Lakeside and will do whatever it takes to get there.

reply]

Please be careful about these things:

1. Making generalizations about "the Mexicans." There are Mexicans who earn considerably more than $600 USD per month. There are Mexicans who could buy and sell all of the visitors to this online community several times over. While there is poverty in this country, and while there are some families who subsist on less than the figure you've quoted, it's insulting to make these generalizations.

2. "Lakeside" is a term which doesn't mean anything outside of the Lake Chapala area. Mention "Lakeside" to someone living in Mexico City, Monterrey, or Campeche, and they won't have a clue that you're referring to Lake Chapala.

3. There's much more to Mexico than simply the Lake Chapala area. It's a country just as varied as the United States or Canada.

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on Feb 29, 2004, 6:22 AM)

pat

Feb 29, 2004, 9:57 AM

Post #10 of 17 (9458 views)

Shortcut

Moviestarmommy said, "Is the website by Karen Blue with the subscription to her magazine that offers detailed info regarding moving, renting, and personal contacts once arriving really worthwhile, or am I likely to receive the same kind of input and assistance from my contacts on this webpage?"

I have subscribed to Karen and Judy King's online magazine for over a year, and think it is great. They write about what is going on in the Ajijic/Chapala area, with emphasis of what living in the area is like. They have done several items on cost of living, as well. I think it is money well spent if you are thinking of moving to the area. Have you been to their website to look at the complimentary issue? If not, I suggest you do so.

Pat

gpk

Feb 29, 2004, 10:28 AM

Post #11 of 17 (9454 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Another "newbie" on board!(Golf & Inflation?)

Mexico is much MORE varied than the US--in my opinion.

jennifer rose

Feb 29, 2004, 10:59 AM

Post #12 of 17 (9447 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] Another "newbie" on board!(Golf & Inflation?)

Can't Post |
You're 100% right. And the variations are what many just don't see, thinking of a Mexico as a country to live "on the cheap," where everyone belongs to IMSS, where we all drive old cars and make our own tortillas every day, where expatriates live only around Lake Chapala or in San Miguel de Allende, and where expatriates are old and retired!

raferguson

Feb 29, 2004, 1:07 PM

Post #13 of 17 (9431 views)

Shortcut

For those planning to live in Mexico, one of the best sources for
information, especially on the cost of living, is the AIM
(Adventures in Mexico) newsletter. It has a practical focus,
with each issue covering a different town or area. $19 per year,
Apartado Postal 31-70, Guadalajara, Jalisco, 45050, Mexico. (My
2002 renewal included an envelope addressed to 1761 Hotel Circle
S, Suite 100, San Diego, CA, 92108, USA). Ask for the back issue
list. Some issues include houshold budgets by readers and
residents, to give one a better view of actual living costs.
They do not have a website.

For what it is worth, as a visitor and not a resident, I find Mexico cost of living similar to that in the USA, some things are more expensive, some things are less expensive. Your cost of living will depend more on your lifestyle than whether you happen to live in Mexico or the USA.

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

Arquitotal

Mar 1, 2004, 11:31 AM

Post #14 of 17 (9372 views)

Shortcut

There is a nice golf course in the city of Celaya, Guanajuato, which is only about 30 minutes from San Miguel de Allende. You can find info about the course (and about other courses in Mexico) at:

http://www.worldgolf.com/...xgcs.html#guanajuato

Information about the city of Celaya can be found at:

http://www.tourbymexico.com/.../celaya/celafram.htm

I hope you find this information useful, and if you would consider moving to Celaya or know anyone who would, please be sure to contact me. My brother and I started a family-owned construction company and we have just finished building two houses in a nice neighborhood of Celaya which we are looking forward to sell within the next few months to fund other projects we have in mind.

Regards,

Francisco Quintana, General Manager, Arquitotal

jacpat

Mar 1, 2004, 2:49 PM

Post #15 of 17 (9346 views)

Shortcut

I am interested in renting a private casita on the golf course at Vista del Lago. Any thoughts on this? I understand that the golf course is reasonable. jacpat

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Mar 1, 2004, 10:16 PM

Post #16 of 17 (9308 views)

Shortcut

Can I call you "Estrellita"? There is a very nice, well maintained and not to expensive golf course on the edge of a cañon near Xalapa on the way to Veracruz port. I visited it several times recently with the wonderful couples I have been showing around this area as a possible retirement spot. I can't quote the exact cost, but I don't think it's over US$500 a year. There are some spectacular homes newly built around the edge of the course and many more in the works.

Guess I'll have to write an article just about it!

¡Portense mal y cuidense bien, amigos!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

pathall

Mar 3, 2004, 11:47 AM

Post #17 of 17 (9230 views)

Shortcut

My husband and I spend a couple of winter months every year in San Miguel de Allende. He too is a golf fanatic. He golfs at the Malanquín golf course on the outskirts of San Miguel for $48 US for 18 holes (it's a 9-hole course, but you go around twice from different tees). It's an excellent course. It is obligatory to hire a caddy and the caddy costs $10 + tip. This $48 price is for the morning hours (when it's cooler) and the afternoon price is slightly cheaper. You can buy a membership (we're not sure of the price we seem to think it's around $5,000) or you can get a monthly pass to save a bit. A membership or a pass gets you into lots of other good golf courses around San Miguel -- Celaya, León, etc.
Pat

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4