Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Practice & Help Forum

Ed and Fran

Feb 26, 2004, 10:38 AM

Post #1 of 6 (8743 views)

Shortcut

Changing User Profile Icon

Can't Post | Private Reply
Okay, I've read through the back posts on changing the photo for your user profile. I deleted our current image, then tried to upload a new image. I keep getting the same old image back. I even deleted (successfully) the image, logged out and waited an hour or so, logged back in - good, still no image. Tried uploading the new image and I still get the old one back.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Ed

DavidMcL

Feb 26, 2004, 2:10 PM

Post #2 of 6 (8730 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Changing User Profile Icon

I suspect you are doing everything correctly - it is your browser's cache that is letting you down.

When you get there next time - if your old image is showing - hold down the shift key and click the reload or refresh button.
That will force a completely new version of the page and will over-write the image in your cache.

Let me know!

David
David McL
WebJefe

Ed and Fran

Feb 26, 2004, 4:00 PM

Post #3 of 6 (8714 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Changing User Profile Icon

David,

Tried shift-refresh and I still get the old icon (the picture of Fran and I). I did get a message from another forum member who says that the icon now shows the water/tree scene (actually the river near downtown Tuxpan) that I'm trying to upload. So if that's also what you are seeing, then maybe it has successfully changed and it's just my browser cache like you say. Any other ideas on how to change what I'm seeing?

Thanks

Ed

Rolly

Feb 26, 2004, 4:26 PM

Post #4 of 6 (8714 views)

Shortcut

The next step up is Control+Shift+Refresh.

The next after that is to sign off the internet, then came back completely fresh. At least once, I had to re-boot my computer to get it to behave. Sometimes there is just no placating the computer gods.

The picture showing is the water and sky scene -- very pretty.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Feb 26, 2004, 6:50 PM)

Ed and Fran

Feb 26, 2004, 5:30 PM

Post #5 of 6 (8707 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Changing User Profile Icon

Bingo!!!!!! That did it.

Thanks, Rolly. Since you're already reading this thread, let me ask you another question that I've wanted to pose to you for some time, being the admirer that I am of your website. When you started out to create the site where did you get your info on how to go about starting a website? Did you have a guru coach you, did you find a good book on the subject, or did you find info on the web somewhere? I don't foresee trying for anything quite so elaborate, but now that I have the digital camera I'd like to try something. I was going to say that now that I had time, but so far I haven't seemed to have much time, maybe because we're still trying to get settled in.

Thanks again,

Ed

Rolly

Feb 26, 2004, 6:48 PM

Post #6 of 6 (8700 views)

Shortcut

Hi Ed,

My Life in Mexico website is my 6th one. I started making websites back in Tarzana before I moved to Lerdo. The first one I did was about the house Enrique and built together in Tarzana. Then I built some websites for friends.

I began with the webpage builder on ALO. I used that to learn the basics. Soon I was frustrated by the limitations of the AOL system, so I bought a cheap ($50) builder. I outgrew that, so I moved up to FrontPage which is what I use now.

I spent a lot of time working out a format to use on Life in Mexico. For my first 11 months in Lerdo I did not have a phone line, so I had a lot of time to experiment before I could get on the internet. I wanted to find a format that was easy to read and that would down load as fast as possible.

Building the website is only half the battle -- maybe not even half -- there is the work that goes into preparing the pictures. Almost never does one of my pictures go directly from camera to web. They all get some cropping as well as visual processing. I started out with a couple of cheap picture editors which I quickly outgrew, so I finnally plunked down the big bucks for a professional program -- PhotoShop. It is was a lot harder to learn than FrontPage.

There are several on-line photo gallery places where you can post your pictures in a gallery format. I have never checked into any of them, but I follow links to them once in a while. I think they are free. My website costs about US$100 per year in storage fees and another $35 or so for name.com registration.

My website began as a way to show family and friends back home what I was doing in Mexico. It kind of grew from there. At last count the site has drawn 429 e-mails from 10 countries. And several from ex-Lerdo residents now in the USA.

Put your pictures on the web, you’ll have a good time doing it.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Feb 26, 2004, 6:53 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4