Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

king1522

Feb 22, 2004, 11:05 AM

Post #1 of 12 (1920 views)

Shortcut

Need information on moving

Can't Post | Private Reply
My wife and I are seriously considering completely retiring and relocating to the Lake Chapala area. I have been doing considerable reseach, but have been unable to answer my concerns regarding the actual move. We plan to rent for at least the first year. We want to bring our furniture and all our belongings at the beginning. I have been unable to find any information on at least a ball park number on the total cost of the move. I would like to know more regarding the cost of moving and exactly what are the details. For instance, I assume everything will be loaded in a rail/truck container. What are the various sizes and what will each size hold? Will a truck move the container all the way, or will it be shipped by rail?? Also, if our first place is too small to hold all our belongings, are there storage sites available in the Lake area and what are the average costs? We will be relocating from Corpus Christi, TX. Any and all information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Don

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The more paper that
is rolled off, the faster it goes.

Joang

Feb 22, 2004, 11:30 AM

Post #2 of 12 (1909 views)

Shortcut

Re: [king1522] Need information on moving

This website may be helpful http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com/

Rolly

Feb 22, 2004, 11:34 AM

Post #3 of 12 (1905 views)

Shortcut

In addition to "New Beginings," you'll find answers to some of your questions at http://rollybrook.com/...o_move_to_mexico.htm

Rolly Pirate

tonyburton / Moderator

Feb 22, 2004, 4:12 PM

Post #4 of 12 (1873 views)

Shortcut

Self Storage in Ajijic

Details can be found via this link: http://www.southmex.com.mx/...sta/selfstorage.html

jshrall

Feb 23, 2004, 7:24 AM

Post #5 of 12 (1829 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Self Storage in Ajijic

I just moved to Ajijic and used La Floresta Self Storage. The site is very secure and I encountered no problems with my belongings. We ended up renting 1-10x20 unit and 3-10x10 units. Be sure to bring short padlocks if you plan to store things there. Juan Carlos noticed that one of my locks was a little longer than the others and with a little effort, could be bypassed. He placed his own lock on the unit to ensure its safety.

I also used Lake Chapala Moving to take the furniture off the van into the storage unit and then again from storage to the house when we were able to move in. Not one thing damaged with all that handling. It was quite amazing, although United Van Lines in Dallas did an excellent job of packing. United coordinated with the local company to finish the move for us.

You can get additional information at http://lakechapalamoving.com/ It's not quite like the big van you're used to in the states, but it was very effective.

mkdutch

Feb 23, 2004, 8:44 AM

Post #6 of 12 (1815 views)

Shortcut

Moving household belongings to Mexico isn't cheap - especially large furnishings and appliances. Any winnowing-out of weight and bulk can save you money. OTOH, having familiar possessions surrounding you will help ease the "shock" of moving into a new culture.

...Although some may argue that much of Lakeside has been "Gringo-fied" already...8^...and you will find much that is familiar.

But you may discover, if you haven't already, that just about any household item you might bring down can be found in the area at whatever quality-level you wish.

Refrigerators can be a concern - those designed and sold NOB can have problems with variations in voltage and current of the electricity delivered Lakeside unless they are protected by regulators and filters. Those made in Mexico are built to withstand most of these power swings. Other electronics and computers face similar hazards.

Hope your move is safe and easy for you.

king1522

Feb 23, 2004, 9:10 AM

Post #7 of 12 (1805 views)

Shortcut

I hope I am not uploading this message twice. I think I may have screwed up the first one. Thanks for the information from all of you. Especially the info regarding unstable electricity. When my wife and I moved to Corpus a couple of years ago, we thought this would be our final home and bought new appliances and new furniture. We would like to bring most of this stuff with us to Mexico. I understand that large kitchen appliances are rather expensive in Mexico and I am afraid that I wouldn't get much out of them if I sold them here. Being that I have been forewarned regarding the electricity, I can install filters or whatever is needed. Thanks again. I hope others will chime in on this subject. All your help is greatly appreciated.

Don

Don

Feb 23, 2004, 11:36 AM

Post #8 of 12 (1772 views)

Shortcut

We moved from the Seattle area about five years ago to the Guadalajara area. We used American Red Ball Express and they used Seymi Moving in Guadalajara to take over the move in Mexico. We had door to door service. Red Ball took everything to Laredo, Texas by truck and Seymi took over from there. Seymi took the items through customs and delivered to our door and unpacked for us. Nothing was lost and only one small glass item was broken. It was delivered to us in two vans. We shipped 10,000 lbs and at that time the cost for everything, including insurance was $1.00 per pound. We brought almost everything and don't regret paying to have the items shipped here. I made out the Manaje de Casa in Spanish. Made it on an Excel spread sheet. The consulate, checked out the spread sheet and made a few changes before I actually filled it out. Once I filled it out, they checked in and put their seal of approval on it. I listed the items, number of items, serial numbers (if they had one) and estimated value. My list was a general list that listed everything, but not what was in each box. Example: I listed boxes ( not the exact number) of clothing. Boxes of kitchen ware. 1 G.E Refrigerator along with the serial number and estimated value. Etc. The moving company that did the original packing, listed everything they put in each box on their packing list. The move went smoothly and they said part of our shipment was briefly inspected, but no problems.

king1522

Feb 23, 2004, 12:05 PM

Post #9 of 12 (1764 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] Need information on moving

Thanks for the reply, Don. Did Red Ball pack everything or did you pack the boxes yourself? Also, would you please tell me how the furniture was packed. In cardboard boxes?? Wooden boxes?? or moved bare? I have read several posts praising Red Ball. My research shows that they do not operate in the Corpus Christi area. My current thoughts are to use United Van Lines. However, I know absolutely nothing about them! Thanks again.

Don

juan david

Feb 23, 2004, 3:45 PM

Post #10 of 12 (1731 views)

Shortcut

Just call your mover in to do a quote and they will answer all of your questions about handling and packing. If you do the packing they probably won't insure it and they may not be able to attest to the packing list unless they can verify contents of boxes you packed yourself. Personally, I'd let them do all the dirty work and I'd bring everything that you have that you will need in Mexico. It will cost you less to ship than to replace.
" let sleeping dogs lie"

Don

Feb 23, 2004, 7:38 PM

Post #11 of 12 (1693 views)

Shortcut

Red Ball packed all our items. Most everthing was in heavy cardboard boxes, with the larger items being wrapped in plastic. It took several days for them to pack everything, which they hauled to their warehouse and placed in large wooden crates. At the other end, it took 6 people, the better part of one day to unpack and discard the wrappings.

Ed and Fran

Feb 24, 2004, 5:58 PM

Post #12 of 12 (1598 views)

Shortcut

Just to add our experience to the mix. We recently moved from Houston to northern Veracruz. Our stuff was moved by moving van, not a container, and was transferred to a Mexican van after crossing the border. Cost ran about $1.00/lb, not including insurance.

We did the boxing of everything except furniture. This is because we were told by the Houston Consulate that the menaje had to be detailed by box number (your experience may vary), and we figured we'd never get a real detailed inventory from the movers. We also needed the menaje list approved prior to the packing day. We bought boxes, paper and plastic peanuts from the usual packing supply places.

The movers (Bekins) wrapped the furniture with the blanket/pads that movers use. At the border these were removed and the furniture rewrapped with that new multiply paper that movers use. We had no damage to either what we packed or what the movers wrapped (the blankets were changed so that Bekins could get them back).

One of the reasons we chose Bekins was that they didn't care if we packed our own stuff. We talked to Allied, but they said they wouldn't move the boxes if they didn't pack them. Again, your experience with the local agent may vary.

Regards

E&F

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4