Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Miguelito

Feb 22, 2004, 5:57 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1365 views)

Shortcut

Brownout in San Miguel

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm not sure what constitutes a brownout but we're down to 100 volts this morning. Am I correct in thinking anything less than 100 is not good for most appliances? My microwave was running much quieter than normal which is what cued me in to it and when I checked with a meter it was down from the usual 120 or so.

Los que cantan oran dos veces! (Those who sing pray twice!)

johanson / Moderator

Feb 22, 2004, 12:12 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1346 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mikelangford] Brownout in San Miguel

I'm told that the standard voltage here is 127 volts. The voltage in my neighborhood varies between about 112 and 122 on each of the 3 legs. Because my neighborhood has true three phase, one doesn't get twice the voltage when he connects to two legs, but depending upon the (usual) line voltage, about 202 to 208 Volts.

The line voltage in Mexico tends to vary much more than it does up North. Therefore when and where possible, equipment manufactured for Mexico is made to work over a larger voltage range. Case in point. I have a Sony Vega TV that continued to work when the voltages was in the mid 90s during a three day brown out. That said you are taking a big chance operating an appliance at a voltage outside that recommended in either its manual or printed on the plate attached to the back of the appliance.

The newer, regularly available, economical voltage regulators, although helpful have their limitations. Typically they will when necessary either increase or decrease the voltage by one amount, usually by about 10 volts.( nothing in-between).

But what happens when you have a brown-out where the voltage drops to the mid 80s like it did in Ajijic several years ago? You can always plug in several of these voltage regulators in a row, or if you still have one of those older less efficient, sometimes loud (60 cycle hum) voltage regulators, use it. It can usually change the voltage as required in small increments by up to more than 30 volts.

(This post was edited by johanson on Feb 22, 2004, 6:53 PM)

Miguelito

Feb 22, 2004, 12:40 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1340 views)

Shortcut

The low was about 92

as far as I could tell then all of a sudden back up it went. Thanks for all that good info above. Mike

Los que cantan oran dos veces! (Those who sing pray twice!)

D.G.

Feb 23, 2004, 7:10 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1316 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mikelangford] Brownout in San Miguel

I'm pretty sure brown outs are fairly common in San Miguel. When we have been there intermittently, we have seen the lights dim down quite noticeably. And of course, complete power outage happens with great regularity.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4