Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

elcomputo

Feb 21, 2004, 10:32 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3053 views)

Shortcut

La Cumbre de Tajín Park (Veracruz)

Can't Post | Private Reply
Anyone have any information on this fiesta in March? Is it worth the trip from Guanajuato? Are there big crowds? Better days to go? Etc.

raferguson

Feb 22, 2004, 10:07 AM

Post #2 of 4 (3040 views)

Shortcut

Re: [elcomputo] La Cumbre de Tajín Park (Veracruz)

I have seen a little bit about it on TV, I think that it is kind of a new age thing, with massage, healing, etc., as well as some music. I believe that it is a big event, so hotel reservations would be desirable.

Tajin is very high on my list of places that I want to go, and well worth a visit, festival or no.

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

Ed and Fran

Feb 24, 2004, 3:20 PM

Post #3 of 4 (3013 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] La Cumbre de Tajín Park (Veracruz)

I think Richard hit it right on. If you really want the extras that the festival provides, and are willing to put up with the crowds, that's okay. If you really want to see El Tajin and enjoy the archaeological site, you'd be better advised to go at a different time.

Imho, Tajin ranks up there with Teotihuacan, Monte Alban, Palenque, Uxmal and Chichen Itza as one of the best sites in the country.

The sooner you go, the better. It's already starting to warm up down here in Veracruz, and the humidity never goes away. Tajin is nestled down in the hills just outside of Papantla, and I've never been there when there was a breeze blowing.

Papantla is an interesting place to stay during your visit, and you can find fairly reasonable accomodations there (although I don't have a specific recommendation) and easy public transport access to Tajin.

Regards

E&F

TomG

Mar 31, 2004, 8:49 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2956 views)

Shortcut

Re: [elcomputo] La Cumbre de Tajín Park (Veracruz)

Geezer;

If you didn't make the trip to el Tajin yet, I will weigh in. I was there last year a week or so before a big affair in March. They were already setting up dramatic lighting and stages. Local Totonacos were upset at what they felt (and appeared to us to be) desecration of the site.

I would go when nothing is going on, you will enjoy it more. Yes, it is well worth the trip. In general, I would not consider competing with Mexican tourists for anything on their holidays – prices soar.

Papantla is a wonderful place.

tom

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4