Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Miguelito

Dec 18, 2003, 6:11 AM

Post #1 of 29 (5869 views)

Shortcut

Gay scene in San Miguel de Allende

| Private Reply
It does exist, right? I'm neither effite nor a flag waver but I am out of the closet and have no plans to go back in. Any comments public or private appreciated. Gracias, Miguel

Los que cantan oran dos veces! (Those who sing pray twice!)

Carol Schmidt

Dec 18, 2003, 9:43 AM

Post #2 of 29 (5846 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mikelangford] Gay scene in San Miguel de Allende

| Private Reply
My new column for MexConnect is from the point of view of two open lesbians falling in love with San Miguel, just like so many others fall in love with SMA. We are totally accepted here and I have not run into a single word of negativity here, less than I experienced in the gay ghettos of Los Angeles! Lots of gays and lesbians here and some I think would be considered transgendered, though I haven't met them yet. Bi's, too, I hear, though again I haven't met any who have told me their sexual preferences yet.

It isn't like LA where we immediately sought out the gay and lesbian communities and were fairly segregated within them. We fit in well even in groups like the American Legion Women's Auxiliary, which I always pictured in a bigoted way as full of bigots, my bad, but they're wonderful women and totally accepting of us. The American Legion back in a Michigan town where I lived for seven years was definitely not accepting, as a comparison--my dad was a member and he surely never mentioned me or introduced me to his friends! Gays were extremely closeted there, though we refused to be, and had all sorts of negative experiences and comments. Not a one here.

There was one gay SMA bar that was only open late Saturday nights, 100 Angeles, but there has been a sheet hanging over its sign for several months now so I doubt that it is still open. Lesbians have no problems dancing in public--a whole bunch of single older straight women from Texas go out dancing every week and we just follow them around and blend right in! We joke with them, who needs a lesbian bar when there's your group! The straight guys who ask them to dance seem to see the difference and don't interrupt us. We're not giving off any flirtatious signs that a cut-in would be welcome, of course.

Last week on Virgin of Guadelupe Day we happened across a Mexican rock band playing on the steps of the Parroquia, the main church in Centro, and about a dozen young gringos who looked like U.S. hippies of the '60s were dancing their hearts out. A blonde 50-ish woman I think was straight was dancing like a fool alone, occasionally convincing another woman or man, gringo or Mexican, of any age, to join her on the floor. We joined right in and not a glare did we see. Fireworks exploded overhead in the cool night and I was in heaven. Have to say I've danced more here than I did in Phoenix!

I have several gay male friends who say this town is very accepting of them as well, and they say they dance together at various public events, too, though I personally haven't seen men dancing together. It is very obvious that there are many gays and lesbians here, no one is hiding it. The town overall is pretty liberal, though there are a few very conservative people here too who will speak out in favor of the war when we have peace demonstrations, etc.

My gay male friends say that there is a section of the beach at Puerto Vallerta that is almost totally gay and they love it, go there every winter (by the way, it's going to be 32 degrees F tonight, 0 C., exceptionallyl cold, so I'd love to run to a beach, too). Muscle men galore, etc. The Lonely Planet Mexico guides give the locations of gay bars in many Mexican cities and say that we're more accepted than you might expect, elsewhere, too.

Of course the official Catholic line in this Catholic country is very much anti-gay, but the fiestas which have strong pre-hispanic Indian roots often have men cross-dressing. Day of the Locos in June features a parade that has some elements that look like a gay pride march! Part of that is just the shock value of the day, everyone is trying to be outrageous as best they can, they're not doing it to be transvestites, they're just having fun. But we can blend right in to that, if you enjoy that. Mexican Catholicism is not like U.S. Catholicism--I've heard it said that it's both the most Catholic and the least Catholic country in the world. Pagan roots run deep.

I am sure there must be considerable hostility on the part of traditional Mexicans who find their young men and women caught up in the gay scene in one way or another, and I bet there is some gay bashing that does occur. I'm not totally pollyannaish, but I haven't encountered it personally. And not all gays and lesbians here are as out as I am--many stil don't want to chance any discrimination, or are in positions where they think being open will hurt them professionally or whatever. They whisper the G and L words. Just like in any U.S. city.

Come on in, the water's fine. (Oh, not the actual water, you still need to drink bottled water.)

Carol Schmidt

Miguelito

Dec 18, 2003, 10:20 AM

Post #3 of 29 (5842 views)

Shortcut

You just blew my pants (errr, sox) off LOL

| Private Reply
The most I was hoping for was perhaps a thinly veiled public response but you just laid the whole calabasa out in front of me. I love it! It will be interesting, though, to see other responses to the age-old question of equality!

In a way I'm not too surprised, this group seems to be very eclectic and egaliterian (sp?) The only official discrimination I've ever witnessed was in Saudi Arabia when I worked there for a short while. It was a jailable offense though enforced irregularly and never talked about.

So where's this new column to be found? Looking forward to it and also hopefully meeting up with some of you folks in San Miguel. Recuerdos, Miguel
(Recuerdos es correcto, no?)

Carol Schmidt

Dec 18, 2003, 11:08 AM

Post #4 of 29 (5832 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mikelangford] You just blew my pants (errr, sox) off LOL

| Private Reply
My column started this month and is on the front page of MexConnect, before you jump off to the forums. It's an edited version of my journal sent home to friends back in the States about my first impressions of SMA. I have 40 such posts so far, so my column already has enough material for 3 1/2 years. Most of it is ordinary stuff, just two people new to SMA, you wouldn't know we were lesbians unless you paid attention. Same as in real life.

Despite two conversational Spanish classes back in Phoenix and two courses here in SMA, I'm still barely functional in Spanish so don't look to me for corrections on your Spanish! One of my New Year's resolutions is to take some more classes and seek out more opportunities to speak Spanish outside the classroom. It is too easy to stay in the English-speaking ghetto here. Safe, but sad.

Carol Schmidt

JimOfMex

Feb 14, 2004, 7:27 AM

Post #5 of 29 (5720 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol Schmidt] You just blew my pants (errr, sox) off LOL

| Private Reply
Hola. I'm a 55 year old gay man living outside of Boston. I'm making plans to move to Mexico within 2 months. While I'm there, I plan to travel to find the right place to settle in. This includes a number of places in Mexico (I love Mexico and the Spanish language, too) as well as Bocas del Toro, Panama. I'm having trouble finding the answers to many questions I have ... this despite the stack of books I've purchased as the dozens of web sites I've crawled through (there are dozens more to go). For starters, can someone tell me what the weather is like in SMA? I love areas with Palm trees and lots of rain storms. This has made the otherwise very appealing Lake Chapala area seem a poor choice for me. I also like it hot sometimes; although, this is not a requirement. And what about insects?

Carol Schmidt

Feb 14, 2004, 1:50 PM

Post #6 of 29 (5701 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jimOfBoston] You just blew my pants (errr, sox) off LOL

| Private Reply
Lots of information throughout MexConnect will give you what you need to narrow your choices. Use the search function and read past columns for more info. There's also more information on the web on SMA if you use Google. www.infosma.com is one such source. www.thesanmiguelchronicles.com is another.

As for weather, the worldwide weather scene seems to be in throes from global warming and many past summaries of weather anyplace are not accurate anymore. Usually SMA is described as having its hottest months in April and May, and the two years we've been here it has gotten over 100 for a week or more in that period.

Usually it's pretty dry, we are a high desert clime, as is the entire central Mexican plateau, But we have a rainy season June-Oct. that usually gives a torrential shower in the afternoon or evening, most days of the week, and once in a while we will have 2-3 days straight of rains. We have a lot of lightning during these storms--the power goes out a lot in some areas during these storms, usually only for a half hour or so, but we lost power for three days after one storm two summers ago.

Rain is rare Nov-May but it does happen. Rainfall in SMA is about 27 inches a year, compared to 7 inches a year in Phoenix where I last lived. It can get below freezing in December and January--we had several weeks in which some people said their outside thermometers got as low as 20, though our area Centro I think our lowest was 28. I hear it has snowed briefly once in a while in SMA, just as it has in Phoenix, but the stuff is gone almost immediately.

Most of the time the weather is perfect for my tastes--70-85 by day, 40-60 at night, and usually sunny.

Since we're centro we don't get any snakes but those who live outlying do get them, including rattlers. I've never seen a scorpion but neighbors often do. Bees are abundant because of all the flowers, and they like to sip from your Coke can at an outdoor restaurant. We have a cricket now living in one of our outdoor flowerpots, and he's driving us nuts, now that our initial delight at his vocals is over. We have a lot of ants in the garden. We have mosquitoes sometimes too.

Palm trees are not everywhere like in the tropical rims of Mexico, but we have one in our courtyard, along with a rubber tree, fruit trees, poinsettia trees, cacti, bougainvillea, hibiscus, lots of geraniums, day lilies, alcatraz (Easter lilies), and much more. A lot of plants died or lost their outer leaves in the frosts.

I'm wondering if you'd like Puerto Villarta more--it has a very large gay population and it's more the beaches/palm trees/wonderful storms and sunsets kind of place that you might think of as Mexico. We're a fairly conservative small colonial town, a national monument, lots of historic sites and artsy stuff. I hope you do a lot of traveling in Mexico and read a whole lot before making any permanent decision to move. It's not for everyone.

Don Adams' book, Head for Mexico, a Renegade's Guide, is a delight and it's full of all sorts of information you don't yet know you need to know. It's available elsewhere on MexConnect. Read his columns for a taste of the book's humor too.

Carol Schmidt

JimOfMex

Feb 15, 2004, 3:38 PM

Post #7 of 29 (5655 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol Schmidt] You just blew my pants (errr, sox) off LOL

| Private Reply
Thanks for all in the info. It is exactly what I need to know. I'm hoping to live on about $1,200 per month including health insurance. Puerto Villarta sounds very good, but I'm not sure I could swing it on $1,200. I happen to love hot weather so that's probably not a problem. I cannot make these decisions until I actually get some experience at the various locations. However, the info you gave me goes a long way. I just bought a new Subaru Forester in December about 1 month before this whole topic of retiring to Mexico came up. I don't think things happen at random, so I'm wondering if I bought it for Mexico. I've lived without a vehicle before and really liked it. Is it a good idea to own a car there? Will I rot in jail if I have an accident? Will it be stolen every other week? The things I read say I should worry about these possibilities, but I need to know what practical, day-to-day experience says. You aren't writing from a jail cell are you? (You don't know me yet, so I'd better make it clear that I'm attempting to inject humor here.)

Carol Schmidt

Feb 15, 2004, 8:59 PM

Post #8 of 29 (5638 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
You can live well on $1200US a month in SMA but not up to what many others are spending. SMA has been called the second most expensive city in Mexico after Cancun, though I've heard PV and certainly parts of Mexico City are higher. Depends as usual on how you want to live. Many Mexicans live here for far less! Eat out less, buy local produce, skip the expensive US deli stores, shop for clothes and everything else at Tueday Market, watch your entertainment, etc. I have a wealthy friend who insists no one can live down here on SS, while he is surrounded by gringos who do.

If your car's not paid for, a monthly payment and insurance can be very expensive, and many gringos live very well in SMA without a car. In fact, it's preferred--too many cars here, and narrow one-way cobblestone streets with no traffic lights allowed within city limits since we're a National Monument. Cabs are $1.50 by day, buses are 30 cents. Parking will probably cost you at least $30 a month too, in a secure lot, if you can find one.

A friend did have her car stolen here, but she'd given the keys to many people to use and she had no alarm system. Gringos overestimate the crime problem here--I experienced far, far worse crime and fear in LA and Phoenix than here, where I feel comfortable walking at night and people are far more polite. You can have a car stolen anywhere. I think the rate may be higher in Phoenix and Tucson because of the nearness to the border.

Mexican jails are not pleasant but you're not going to be put away for nothing. Read lots on MexConnect by searching under crime, and under car ownership, and under cost of living, to get more info. Again, read Don Adams' book to find out more than you ever thought you needed to know. Do your homework and you'll find there's plenty of info around to answer most of your basic questions.

Carol Schmidt

(This post was edited by Carol Schmidt on Feb 15, 2004, 9:03 PM)

gpk

Feb 16, 2004, 11:38 AM

Post #9 of 29 (5605 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
As far as I know, Subarus are not sold (yet) in Mexico, so bring some spare parts, filters, etc. You do not need a car for daily life in San Miguel or Puerto Vallarta. I own a condo in PV and life there is not inexpensive--probably similar to San Miguel (where I also used to own a house). I think the cities/locations with high costs have expanded beyond what Carole cites. Baja Cal. is now the tops in expensive living/vacationing from what I have heard. While most Mexican families live on less than the US$1200.00 you propose, they do so without some of the amenities Gringos take for granted. Anyway, it is possible, but you might have better luck away from Gringo locales--head south on the Pacific coast and you can find very cheap places to live in the State of Oaxaca.

JimOfMex

Feb 18, 2004, 4:54 PM

Post #10 of 29 (5558 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] You just blew my pants (errr, sox) off LOL

| Private Reply
Thanks for your input. I've been very drawn to Xalapa, Veracruz because of the more frequent rain, the lush rain foresty nature of the area and the lower cost of living. I've been uncertain of the gay friendliness of the area. I have found no information on this aspect of life in that area. I do want to become fluent in Spanish. Xalapa should be a good place for that to happen. I can stumble through conversations in Spanish now. I really love the language. I also love the mix of Mexican cultures.

Miguelito

Feb 19, 2004, 5:41 AM

Post #11 of 29 (5536 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I have a friend here who is living on less than $1,000 a month and doing it very well, in my opinion. Her rent is $250 for a two story apartment just outside the downtown area with private and gated parking and entry. Utilities will run that up too but, as other have said, your life style will control the expenses. Regards, Michael

JimOfMex

Feb 19, 2004, 5:01 PM

Post #12 of 29 (5503 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thanks, Michael. I'm becoming convinced. I really wish SMA got more rain and was more tropical. It has a lot to recommend it, but my dream includes some hot weather and frequent rain and storms. As much as I love a sunny day, I feel the most alive during rain. Of course, I can go too long without a sunny day, either. Are you finding a gay social life there? I'm not much of a bar person. I belong to a gay naturist organization here. There are lots of events, both in doors and out.

Miguelito

Feb 19, 2004, 6:34 PM

Post #13 of 29 (5496 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Jim, if there's an organized gay social life her I haven't found it in the going-on 3 weeks since I made the move. I can count 4 gay friends, all ladies and all posters to this forum, and they all tell me there's a lot of gay folks here but the socializing is all done at home, there are no gay bars. I understand there was one place where fellows gathered to have a drink but it either closed or switched. My gaydar (for you straight folks that's our early warning system) is constantly being set off by both genders and, as in the States, the usual visual cues apply. Everyone seems to, sooner or later, congregate at El Jardin and it's busy from mid-morning to late at night (I wish I wasn't so much a morning person some times, shucks). Then there's the Community Chorale, the little theatre group, and other social meeting places to take advantage of. Come on in, the water's fine. Regards, Michael

Carol Schmidt

Feb 20, 2004, 9:30 AM

Post #14 of 29 (5479 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I haven't found an organized gay social life here in nearly two years! I just went to a party thrown by two gay men I didn't know, and of 50+ people there, most of whom I didn't know, it seemed half straight, but we were all one at the party.

We're thinking of a party to celebrate our 25th anniversary soon and when we drew up a tentative guest list, it was also half straight, and not a one would blink at the idea of going to a lesbian couple's anniversary. The marriages going on in SF were one of the night's hot topics, enthusiastically brought up by gay and straight alike.

I haven't felt the need to have a "lesbian night" party at all, as I have felt in other places I've lived where I felt the need to let it all hang out finally with those who "understood." Here, I'm just me, hanging out just about anyplace! Oh, I stand up a bit straighter in a few places when I find myself in a rightwing-ish gathering, but I'll still speak out. I don't think you'll find the need to seek out a specific gay social life, we're all mixed together, or so I experience it.

The gay bar that closed was "100 Angeles" and it was next to Pancho and Lefty's on Mesones. There's a white sheet hanging down over its sign now. I heard it was only open late Saturday nights anyway, not enough to make any business a going concern. Could be the time is right for another gay bar that was open all the time? But I bet a whole lot of straights would patronize it, too, if it were hip and comfie. Investors, anyone?

Carol Schmidt

gpk

Feb 20, 2004, 11:19 AM

Post #15 of 29 (5470 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
There's a very nice gay disco in Queretaro--some of our friends in Irapuato do there sometimes. Leon has two discos and I think there is activity in Celaya of some sort. Try looking at www.sergay.com.mx for lots of info.

JimOfMex

Feb 22, 2004, 7:53 AM

Post #16 of 29 (5434 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] You just blew my pants (errr, sox) off LOL

| Private Reply
I have hosted gay/lesbian social groups just about everywhere I've lived. I may need to do this when I settle down in Mexico. I'm leaning towards SMA one day, Ajijic the next, etc. Right now, I'm leaning towards Pto. Vallarta and Xalapa. I need that tropical feeling. I've had the temperate zone experience all of my life and I love it. Now, it's time for my other love: the tropical zone.

Marlene

Feb 22, 2004, 12:10 PM

Post #17 of 29 (5419 views)

Shortcut

Tropical and Coastal

| Private Reply
Don't overlook MazatlŠn in your search either. Same weather as Puerto Vallarta, except we seem to have better luck at avoiding the wrath of the hurricane season. MazatlŠn has plenty to offer everyone, yet the prices are still quite reasonable here.

P.S. I love Guanajuato!

JimOfMex

Feb 22, 2004, 12:36 PM

Post #18 of 29 (5416 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Tropical and Coastal

| Private Reply
I'm happy to know more about MazatlŠn ... of which I know little. So it is very hot during part of the year? Is there a lot of rain? Are there lots of insects such as mosquitoes? Do you know where I can get the most to-the-point information on MazatlŠn?

JimOfMex

Feb 22, 2004, 12:52 PM

Post #19 of 29 (5413 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jimOfBoston] Tropical and Coastal

| Private Reply
Ok. I've moved the Mazatlan questions to the correct forum. I hadn't noticed that it existed yet.

JimOfMex

Feb 23, 2004, 5:00 PM

Post #20 of 29 (5366 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Well, it's here. My last week at work. Then I'm off to Mexico to visit a few areas before moving down. I'm very excited ... in between the times I'm wondering if I've lost my mind.

JimOfMex

Mar 1, 2004, 8:49 AM

Post #21 of 29 (5315 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Tropical and Coastal

| Private Reply
Why do you love Guanajuato?

G‹ICHITO

Mar 21, 2004, 11:40 AM

Post #22 of 29 (5192 views)

Shortcut

|
jim ... i love the xalapa area too ... i think you'll like it there. As far as palm tress and rain ... Chapala has palm trees and I lived there for 6 months it rained almost every night ... it seems to rain a lot a night there.

I now live in central mexico because i prefer to live in a normal mexican area and not ex-pat colonies ... after all, that is why i moved here to have a different experience

hope you find a plae you like!!! Xalapa is great because it is cool and refreshing and you can always go down the mountain to Veracruz or Puebla or MC. Xalapa has the best coffee in all of Mexico too!

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on Mar 21, 2004, 2:23 PM)

JimOfMex

Mar 21, 2004, 1:52 PM

Post #23 of 29 (5181 views)

Shortcut

Re: [G‹ICHITO] Tropical and Coastal

| Private Reply
I'm in Ajijic right now. I'm surprised at how much I love it. It isn't raining now. I think that will start sometime in June. It gets pretty hot during the day and cool at night. I love both the heat and the cool. I'm finding the area to have a reasonably tropical look to it with all of the palms, etc. I find the lake a bit disappointing. It's choked with hyacinth and very low. The docks are all way up in the air. Even so, it is apparently much higher than it has been for some years. The people are very friendly. I belong to an obscure credit union back home and my bank card works beautifully here. I now know 3 gay people in town and the count is about to increase. I'm completely out to everyone here and all I get back is warmth and advice on how to meet men. I will probably be back in a month or so to stay for one year. While I'm here, I will visit Xalapa, Veracruz, Mazatlan and other small communities around the lake. I will also visit Bocas del Toro, Panama. It's good to hear encouragement to visit Xalapa.

LsaintL

Apr 4, 2004, 4:01 PM

Post #24 of 29 (5071 views)

Shortcut

Gay man looking for a date in San Miguel area

|
First of all I would like to thank the moderators of this forum for thier courtesy and willingness to do this job with such style and aplomb! You are to be congratulated.

I am a 38 year old gay artist/writer from North Carolina looking for a suitable dating partner in the area. I have been back and forth to Mexico for years and now find it beconing to be with greater gusto. I am well read well traveled and represented by galleries in Paris, New Orleans and San Francisco..all I need now is a good man to share my life with....and I would love San Miguel to be in the picture, what could be more romantic? Feel free to write me at dalexldc@aol.com and I shall be more than happy to reply. I am planning on taking a house in town this summer...it could be our season of love.

Carol Schmidt

Apr 4, 2004, 6:44 PM

Post #25 of 29 (5058 views)

Shortcut

Moderator: We're NOT a dating service!

| Private Reply
We're not a dating service nor a personals column. I'm debating deleting this post but I think I'll let it stand with this warning. Once you get here I'm sure you can find somebody but please, let's not start getting into such stuff here! Thanks,

Carol Schmidt
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4